Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Health and Early Retirement (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/)
-   -   It's Wednesday weigh ins! (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/its-wednesday-weigh-ins-24924.html)

SecondCor521 01-05-2007 11:26 AM

It's Wednesday weigh ins!

Since we have Tuesday videos and Thursday jokes and at least Mudd and I are trying to lose weight, I thought maybe we could motivate each other here with Wednesday weigh-ins!

I am male, 37, at 196 and want to be at 175 by 6/1/2007.

2Cor521

crazy connie 01-05-2007 11:41 AM

Re: It's Wednesday weigh ins!

Being a typical female (in some areas) I refuse to divulge the weigh in! I am started on the plan though and just finished my breakfast of 1/2 a honeydew melon. The treadmill moves into the living area this afternoon and I hope to walk 3 times a day for 10 minutes. The bad knee makes me reluctant to go to the park for walking right now. My goal is a sensible 2 lbs a week. It will only take me forever to get to an ideal weight but I will get healthier in the process! One of the goals is to eliminate enough weight to be able to comfortabl/safely walk outside the house. I used to enjoy 3 or 4 miles a day. I am starting slow and will add water aerobics/laps in April or May when the pool is warm enough.

wabmester 01-05-2007 01:35 PM

Hmm, public humiliation as a motivator? OK, I'm in!

My Wednesday weigh-in number is 204. Which isn't too bad considering the wet-weather slacking, holiday snacking, and that today isn't even Wednesday. :)

I'll shoot for 190 by the end of the year.

Peaceful_Warrior 01-05-2007 04:06 PM

My baby boy born Thurs. morning (1:38am) weighed in at just under 8 lbs. My weight didn't change, though my wife's has gone down about 8 lbs since then :)

FIRE'd@51 01-05-2007 04:12 PM

BMI = 22.4 ;D

Khan 01-05-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
BMI = 22.4 ;D

BMI = 28.9
down from 38.1 at retirement

FIRE'd@51 01-05-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khan
BMI = 28.9
down from 38.1 at retirement

Very impressive. Especially if you didn't grow taller.

TromboneAl 01-05-2007 05:22 PM

A Christmas present I got was a HealthOMeter Digital Bathroom Scale HDL820-18 NU . Someone trying to tell me something? Actually I requested it.

But I'm very impressed with this scale. Precision of .2 pounds, and you can weigh yourself 5 times and get exactly the same number each time. Easy to read.

Old scale read about 3.5 pounds too light, so my new apple pancakes number is 167 pounds. If I weigh less than that on a Sunday, I make myself apple pancakes. I was 168.2 today.

wabmester 01-05-2007 05:52 PM

For scales, I like the simple analog Tanita. It seems to be both accurate and robust.

Amazon had a sale on health gadgets last month, so I bought myself a heart rate monitor and bioelectric fat analyzer. I'll probably use them infrequently, but they're pretty cool gadgets.

mb 01-05-2007 07:00 PM

I'll bite!

I'm about 182 now. That's up from about 165 in just the last 18 months. I've been injured a lot and the running, biking, etc. is way down. For some reason this never happened 20 years ago :-\

Would like to get back to the 160-165 range.

There's a triathlon that I usually do in the summer. I won my age group in 2003 and 2004 and got third in 2005. I missed it this year because of injuries.

I would like to at least get top three again this year before moving up to the next age group in 2008. I'm not at that fitness level now but I think that if I get some good runs and bikes in and drop a few pounds I'll have a decent shot at another win.

MB

Nords 01-05-2007 07:13 PM

5'10", 190, 27.3 BMI.

My surfing muscles keep getting bigger and my tae kwon do waistline keeps getting smaller. Hunger regularly wakes me at 4 AM. I have a small bowl of something or a piece of fruit about every two hours all day long. (The bunny follows me around in case I drop something.) By the 3 PM snack of broccoli heads dipped in yogurt I'm about sick of my healthy diet. My highlight of the week is an after-dinner ice cream cone (anything with chocolate) and Friday's Costco swirl frozen yogurt.

My knees would be thrilled to only have to support 170 pounds but I don't see it happening this decade. If I lose weight, great. If I have to sacrifice anything else from my current diet there'll be a mutiny.

donheff 01-05-2007 07:44 PM

6'0" (possibly shrunk 1/4"), 183 lbs. Don't know how to calculate BMI - get in a big beaker of water?

Nords 01-05-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donheff
6'0" (possibly shrunk 1/4"), 183 lbs. Don't know how to calculate BMI - get in a big beaker of water?

Well, that's one way to do it.

Or, according to here, it's 24.8.

FIRE'd@51 01-05-2007 08:29 PM

Or, in case you are away from your computer, the formula is

BMI = 705 x W / (H x H)

where W is your weight in pounds

and H is your height in inches

windsurf 01-05-2007 09:05 PM

When I eat my own stuff (no refined flour products, pasta and sugary stuff), I lose immediately and steadily if I am up from induling in crap from times where I choose to partake in the stuff put out at other places, parties, relatives (read the Holidays). This year, between Thanksgiving and New Years, I bumped up 10 pounds despite maintaining my workout schedule (much more strenuous than most people). Lesson: If you put on weight easily, keep eating the standard processed crap and you are doomed to insulin resistance and excess fat even if you are engaged in physical activity much in excess of the day to day burn. I wasted my youth on pasta and pizza, became insulin resistant and now have to mind my p's (pasta) and q's (quizmos). 6' and over 190 lbs now: should be 180. :-[

lazygood4nothinbum 01-05-2007 09:54 PM

oh good, a support group within a support group. when i told my brother i joined a support group for the early retired his eyes rolled to the back of his head. if he finds out about this they are sure to drop to his heels.

as i've already gently expressed in another post, bmi is farkakt. to be undeclared bmi overweight i'd have to get below my 0% body fat high school weight and that before i'd yet developed a chest. not gonna happen; i'd have to cut a leg off.

i fattened up watching mom die. hey, gotta blame someone. got up to, yikes, 222 lbs or so. within two months after funeral i was down to 214 lbs & 19% body fat. but the holidays depressed me and that sourdough loaf some "friend" brought over didn't help any. i'm back up to 219 lbs 20% bf, damn!

my goal is 200#s 14-16% bf, maybe i could get to 190#s 10-12% bf but by then i'm body sculpting and i doubt i'm that ambitious. though i suppose i could write it off as an er hobby. sure would turn a few heads again if i did. this going out and realizing i'm becoming invisible is really starting to push my vanity button. if vanity makes me healthier maybe it's not such a vice after all.

for the record i'm 5-10, 49 & 11/12ths and i still got all my hair (nya nya, though as grey as they may be)
exercises: swim laps (strong swimmer here); biking (roadie, mountain & hybrid beach cruiser); walking (generally 5 miles along beach when arthritis doesn't act up); gym (just weight training so far. haven't yet got myself to join the girls in their aerobic & stretching classes even though i know i should.)

ps nords. gotta great drink you're gonna love:

1 banana
1 pear
1 small container french vanilla yogurt
1 scoop solgar whey to go honey nut protein mix
about 6-8 ice cubes
blend 30 seconds into a smoothie.
pour into large glass and enjoy (serves 1 & 1/2 or 2 with more ice)

warning: this really counts as 3 fruits so do not consume to excess.

CCdaCE 01-05-2007 11:56 PM

Arg. That BMI gets me peeved. Mine's 31.9. Obese? I think not. 5'-8" and 210 lbs. of pure pain. Two years ago I could almost bench my own weight -- weight was 200, bench press was 185. I'm not saying I couldn't afford to lose 20 lbs., but hey. This summer, I got pneumonia, and then the flu. Turned out to be an excellent weight loss program.

It is fun to go to work-sponsored health fairs and the doctor and watch the looks on their faces when they compute my BMI.

Muscle weighs more than fat, lard ass! At least, that's my scapegoat.

Someone 'splain it to me.

-CC

Linney 01-06-2007 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCdaCE
It is fun to go to work-sponsored health fairs and the doctor and watch the looks on their faces when they compute my BMI. Muscle weighs more than fat, lard ass! At least, that's my scapegoat.

Why explain it? You already know the answer -- muscle weighs more than fat. So if you are muscular and want to determine whether you have too much body fat to be healthy you will have to use one of the more accurate methods of checking such as a water displacement test. Doing that test is a bit of trouble so maybe you could calculate your hip-to-waist ratio instead since that is independent of how much muscle mass you have. For men, the ratio should be 90% or less. It is a more accurate measurement for men than it is for women because men tend to store fat in their midsection and women frequently store it in the lower body. Just google for "hip to waist ratio"-- there are lots of websites out there.

Martha 01-06-2007 08:35 AM

I'll join the support group. Want to lose 10-12 pounds.

Rarely eat meat but bread products are my nemesis.

Multigrain hot cereal this am for breakfast. Will eat three figs and three walnuts for snack. A salad or fried veggies for lunch. Going to cousin's for supper so who knows.

Robert the Red 01-06-2007 08:44 AM

Male, 6'0" 190 lbs.

2 years ago I altered my diet to eat less junk, more fruit, and lost 35 pounds (down to 185). Back up to 190 between Thanksgiving and now. I blame the cakes in Poland, where we went for Thanksgiving week:
https://www.coxklosek.com/Photos/Pola...2006Cakes.html.
Certainly it can't have anything to do with my lack of willpower around sweets, can it?

Would like to get down to 175, where I was when I grajimated from high school, but that seems unlikely since I don't like exercise much and don't like starving.

Outtahere 01-06-2007 10:40 AM

I'll jump on this wagon too but I won't post weight, just the change over the previous week.

I'm like you Martha, a carb addict.

Nords 01-06-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
ps nords. gotta great drink you're gonna love:
1 banana
1 pear
1 small container french vanilla yogurt
1 scoop solgar whey to go honey nut protein mix
about 6-8 ice cubes
blend 30 seconds into a smoothie.
pour into large glass and enjoy (serves 1 & 1/2 or 2 with more ice)

Thanks! My preferred beverages are water, green tea, and black coffee. Even smoothies taste very sweet, although this one looks to be the exception to the rule.

Our daughter is a Smoothie Queen. I'll have her whip one up for us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCdaCE
Muscle weighs more than fat, lard ass!

I think I'm going to find a lot of situations where this quote will come in handy!

xprinter 01-06-2007 03:16 PM

I need to loose weight! I am 6'0" weight 242 and have type II diabetes. It seems no matter what I eat I can not loose weight. I think the insulin resistence is at the heart of my problem. Try to walk 30-60 minutes 5 times a week. I have trouble keeping to a low carb diet as I love fruits and whole grains.

honobob 01-06-2007 04:16 PM

Sounds better than Fat Boy Fridays! Started with a buddy on 1/1/07 to lose 15 pounds in 15 weeks with a 4 week maintenance period to keep us honest. 195 to 180 for me and 200 to 185 for him! Week 1 193!

LeatherneckPA 01-06-2007 06:13 PM

Somehow I think this thread will dwindle and die before I get "there", but I'll weigh in too. First of all; BMI, MetLife charts, and all that other crap just don't work for me. I came out of Parris Island at 6'2", 210 pounds, and only an 8% body fat. I had to undergo quarterly water weigh-ins because I never did get down to the 197 they said I had to be. But I had an official USNRMC waiver to 225 pounds. Stayed under it too, until I got out and stopped running. (Man I HATE to run!) November's hospital admission for chest pains scared the bejeebers out of me and I'm going to lose weight this year for sure.

My work year schedule is divided up into quarters. So I've decided to drop at least 25 pounds per quarter for 2007.

Currently 6'2" and 345 pounds, I think. It's tough to find a home scale that weighs over 300 pounds.

Bimmerbill 01-07-2007 06:51 AM

6'6", 250 lbs. I want to drop to 225 to see how I look.
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers?

simple girl 01-07-2007 08:49 AM

My BMI is 23.9 which according to the scale is "normal weight" - but pushing near the high end of the scale. I still feel about 10# overweight...put on 3-4# just over Christmas vacation. Yikes!

I have tried weight watchers in the past - very helpful in teaching you how to change your lifestyle pattern of eating. In general I don't lose weight unless I weigh and measure everything I eat for a while. Have a problem with portion control! I really need to get out the old measuring cups and the calorie table. Uggh. Only this kind of pure discipline works for me.

Oh, and we did go on a semi-vegetarian diet once to try and lower DH's cholesterol. Followed "Fat Free, Flavor Full" by Gabe Mirkin (from the library). We stayed on it about 2 months and in that time I lost 10 pounds and felt so healthy. Unfortunately, DH didn't get himself back in for a cholesterol re-check (too busy with w*rk). It's a really strict diet, so we couldn't do it long term, but did learn quite a bit about healthy food choices and cooking. We need to get out some of those recipes again!

lazygood4nothinbum 01-07-2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xprinter
I have trouble keeping to a low carb diet as I love fruits and whole grains.

i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet. i know i tire quickly during exercise if i haven't had enough carbs. the trick is the right carbs & in the right amounts. while fruit is also one of my problems, i don't think it has to do so much with calories or carbs. i think the problem is the sugar, which as windsurf notes, causes insulin resistance and so prevents muscle from utilizing existing stores of fat even during exercise.

i can see how sugar effects my body immediately. i'm ok if i have two mallomar cookies. but if i have two more the arthritis in my foot acts up before i finish washing them down with skim milk.

and since sugar prevents muscles from burning fat, i never eat mallomars before my workout, only after. ;D

Khan 01-07-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet. i know i tire quickly during exercise if i haven't had enough carbs. the trick is the right carbs & in the right amounts. while fruit is also one of my problems, i don't think it has to do so much with calories or carbs. i think the problem is the sugar, which as windsurf notes, causes insulin resistance and so prevents muscle from utilizing existing stores of fat even during exercise.

Sugar is evil, it damages every system in the body (highly refined grains are just as bad).

wabmester 01-07-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet.

Yeah, it's amazing how controversial the relationship between diet and health is. You'd think we'd understand this stuff by now.

Carbs aren't bad for you per se, but the high-GI/GL carbs *seem* to cause both an immediate insulin spike and *may* contribute to insulin resistance over time. Most fruits should be OK, since the sugars are bound up in a fibrous matrix that slows the availability.

Your muscles store enough glycogen for you to exercise *hard* for something like 90 minutes, so for the typical 30-minutes of moderate exercise that most of us do, there's no need to either carbo-load or replenish burned glycogen with a carb drink.

The only macronutrient your body can't store is alcohol, so I guess having a couple of drinks would postpone the burning of glycogen and fat for a while....

haha 01-07-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wab
The only macronutrient your body can't store is alcohol,

My body stores alcohol as memories. :)

Ha

lazygood4nothinbum 01-07-2007 02:17 PM

sign outside bar: if you drink to forget, pay first.

hey wab. what about nuts? good or bad? i usually keep a bowl of walnuts & raisins about. also i totally love pistachios and often also have cashews & pecans (the latter especially as a crunchy topping on sweet potato, yum)

Alan 01-07-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
6'6", 250 lbs. I want to drop to 225 to see how I look.
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers?

6'2" male, age 52, was 210# when blood pressure showed marginal for first time ever. Next month WW started at work, so I said "why not". This was about 4 years ago. I had never been on any sort of diet before so I can't compare, but what I liked about WW is that really is about portion sizes, writing down what you eat and tracking it to lose weight gradually and permanently changing exercise and eating habits. After 6 months I was down to 170# so I stopped journalling or attending the weekly sessions at work. Now whenever my weight gets to 175# I will write down everything ("journalling" in WW terminology) until I get back to 170. This happens about 2 or 3 times a year. So, WW works for me even "unofficially"

BTW, a year later at my annual physical I was staggered at how much my blood pressure, Cholestorol, Triglycerides had improved. Lasy year my doc said "Do you know your resting heart rate is in the 40's?"). So continue to watch portion sizes, and exercise regularly. Even go the exercise classes at the gymn with all the women, and believe me, kick-box aerobitics is a helluva workout :o

Khan 01-07-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

sign outside bar: if you drink to forget, pay first.

hey wab. what about nuts? good or bad? i usually keep a bowl of walnuts & raisins about. also i totally love pistachios and often also have cashews & pecans (the latter especially as a crunchy topping on sweet potato, yum)

Nuts are good in moderation, but should not be salted or toasted. Raisins are also good in moderation.

They are high calorie, so large amounts can be a problem.

Zipper 01-07-2007 06:11 PM

Lazygood4, quit beating around the bush. Your height and weight put you at obese.

Break a sweat every day and eat right.

HFWR 01-07-2007 06:13 PM

71.5", 158#, 32" waist

lazygood4nothinbum 01-07-2007 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and for those who think canadians are nicer than americans...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipper
Lazygood4, Your height and weight put you at obese.

Quote:

Quote:

such a proud moment for you. where's my american gun?

i found pics of me at my absolute very lightest weight as an adult. the towel is me in last year of highschool about age 18, 5-10, 175 lbs.

but hey, we can't all be 155 lb lightweights, aye?

lazygood4nothinbum 01-07-2007 09:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Lazygood4Your height and weight put you at obese.

Quote:

Quote:

and here's me at 19 or 20 getting even fatter according to zipper as i'm still 5-10 but now weigh about 180-185 lbs. (having discovered beer in college) yet still haven't developed a chest.

so much for height & weight

lazygood4nothinbum 01-07-2007 09:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Your height and weight put you at obese.

and now that you having me rummaging through 1970s photos so i could show one of me as a lightweight, still 1 inch taller than you but only 20 lbs heavier than you before i developed, i might as well show off mom, posing--as zipper would have anyone believe--her obesity in a one-piece.

LeatherneckPA 01-08-2007 09:12 AM

Way to go LG4NB!!

That is EXACTLY why I say that BMI and MetLife are bogus. They are based upon statistical averages. And some people just ain't average.

BTW, Mom looks pretty hot, nice legs.

(closet lech)

laurence 01-08-2007 01:16 PM

Ugh, I need to join, I gained mucho weight over the last two months! Signed up for my first marathon in June, though! I will weigh myself and post on Wednesday.

lazygood4nothinbum 01-08-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredbop
That is EXACTLY why I say that BMI and MetLife are bogus. They are based upon statistical averages. And some people just ain't average.
BTW, Mom looks pretty hot, nice legs.
(closet lech)

hate to break it to ya but you've come out of closet lechery and fallen right into necrophilia: she's dead.

mom was a bit of a hottie though. and she had the best legs in the family. most of our women get thunder thighs and i've got calves big enough to carry two people.

what just irks me, besides rudeness, is this one-size-fits-all thinking. like it doesn't matter if you are six foot five or five foot four, you should always and only have a 32 inch waist. if that was the case, then everyone would be satisfied with zipper's little penis.

haha 01-08-2007 01:41 PM

Is this thread a but weird? Maybe I am getting too old, but I don't remember guys comparing their measurements. You guys wearing earrings too?

Ha

lazygood4nothinbum 01-08-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaHa
Is this thread a but weird? Maybe I am getting too old, but I don't remember guys comparing their measurements. You guys wearing earrings too?

Ha

um, no, butt you seem to be wearing your freudian slip.

haha 01-08-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

um, no, butt you seem to be wearing your freudian slip.

Well done! :)

Ha

LeatherneckPA 01-09-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

hate to break it to ya but you've come out of closet lechery and fallen right into necrophilia: she's dead.

Aaah well, chalk up another item on my list of demented mental problems.

Quote:

what just irks me, besides rudeness, is this one-size-fits-all thinking.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! Like, where is it written that any guy with a 48" waist MUST have short stubby legs with only a 28" or 30" inseam. Don't they realize the average height in this country has been steadily rising for at least the last three generations. And like I said there is nothing average about me. I can get by with 32", would love 33", and buy 34" whenever I see them whether I happen to need them at the time or not. Because I know they won't be there when I do need them.

wabmester 01-10-2007 12:44 PM

Today is wednesday. Where are all the numbers?

I gained 2 lbs, which is the approximate weight of the new cast on my broken arm. Here's a tip: for your aerobic activity, choose something other than roller skating.

REWahoo 01-10-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wab

I gained 2 lbs, which is the approximate weight of the new cast on my broken arm. Here's a tip: for your aerobic activity, choose something other than roller skating.

I suppose you will add that to your list of "Lessons Learned the Hard Way"? Ouch.

haha 01-10-2007 12:52 PM

OK. Today I weigh 150. 3 months ago I weighed 158. My pants had gotten tight, so I exercised more and ate less, the old standby. And I drink less too.

IMO, I look way better. I could do an Hugo Boss ad, if they had a category for older models.

PS Wab, sorry about the accident.

Ha

wabmester 01-10-2007 12:55 PM

Thanks for the sympathy. It was a lot of fun right up to the bone cracking part.

Outtahere 01-10-2007 01:29 PM

Ouch Wab, not fun at all.

Scale was down 1/2lb but like Wab my exercising stopped on Saturday 12/30 when I fell down my back steps during the only snow storm we've had in NE so far this winter. I'm still limping slightly but the bruising and swelling is going down, hopefully next week I can get back to where I was. Up to that point I had been down about 6lbs, even with the holidays. Strange how one second I was calling the dog to come back in and the next thing I know I'm laying there with him standing over me.

SolidA 01-10-2007 02:18 PM

Wab - sympathy coming your way from Minnesota!

OK, I'm in for this... my best friend talked me into going to a personal trainer (she's paying - it's my Christmas present) so now I have to actually W*RK OUT at least 3x per week, weigh in every week and write down EVERYTHING I eat. Yuck. Hope the end result is worth it!! I don't consider myself overweight, but I am out of shape (read: getting older) so this is probably a good thing.

Stats: 46 1/2, 5'7", 142 lbs, BMI=30 (YIKES!). Goal is BMI of less than 25, weight around 135, and gain back the ability to take the dogs for a walk without them having to drag me home!!

jj 01-10-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidA

Stats: 46 1/2, 5'7", 142 lbs, BMI=30 (YIKES!). Goal is BMI of less than 25, weight around 135, and gain back the ability to take the dogs for a walk without them having to drag me home!!

Er, don't think so... height 5'7" weight 142lbs = BMI 22.2 (not 30.) Not that getting into better shape is a bad thing, but don't overdo the weight loss. Getting to 135 would give a BMI of 21.1 also good.

haha 01-10-2007 04:24 PM

One thing I don't get about BMI, it doesn't seem to use your sex as an input. But a 5-9" man at 150# is going to be in a different place from a woman the same height and weight, unless she is unusually heavily muscled.

ha

SecondCor521 01-10-2007 04:57 PM

OK, I was at 195.8 today. Hey, that 0.2 pounds is 700 calories! I could have been better but my pattern is eating relatively well for most meals and then eating a bunch of extra calories for reasons other thank hunger.

Reasons to do more:

1. 20 year HS reunion this summer
2. Aches and pains that shouldn't be there
3. Clothes fitting
4. Keeping up with my kids
etc.

I will post next Wednesday, hopefully with better numbers...

2Cor521

Alan 01-10-2007 08:23 PM

My first Wednesday weigh-in. 173lbs. (down 2lbs for the week)

I celebrated by going out to the new Irish pub that opened up close by .. :angel:

lazygood4nothinbum 01-10-2007 11:32 PM

wab, problem with rollerblading and mountain biking which i'm into (& did a nice endover two years ago) is that this stuff wasn't around when we were kids and more flexible. i don't even remember skate boards back then. when i do flat double track trails i don't even bother with a helmet. but when i'm on technical single track i put on my darth vader protection gear.

between you and outta, i'm wondering if maybe this thread isn't jinxed.

anyway, i hit the gym every day but one. swam three days and biked two. oh good, i only gained 1 pound.

wabmester 01-11-2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

wab, problem with rollerblading and mountain biking which i'm into (& did a nice endover two years ago) is that this stuff wasn't around when we were kids and more flexible. i don't even remember skate boards back then. when i do flat double track trails i don't even bother with a helmet. but when i'm on technical single track i put on my darth vader protection gear.

Eh, I used to be a skateboard slalom racing champ as a kid. Broke my ankle once, but that was a shearing force. Roller skating seems more dangerous, since your feet will never take any of the load in a fall.

I tried to calculate what sort of energy was required to break my wrist. 200lbs falling from about 3 ft concentrated on an area of about a square inch. I found that the radius will fracture under a compression load of about 16,000 psi. But I couldn't figure out how to relate that to the energy of my fall.

Any mechanical engineering geeks in the house?

mmg2681 01-11-2007 06:26 AM

I am down 5 lbs this week.
I am not telling my initial weight (entirely too much) just yet... but I will when I lose these 30-40 lbs!

I need to get healthy for my wedding coming up in just 16 weeks, and to start thinking about having some babies!

~M

simple girl 01-11-2007 06:45 AM

Wab, so sorry to hear about your broken wrist!

OK, I'm down 1# to 134. Pretty much just from not drinking a beer or two every night, and exercising a little more. Each # after this gets harder...

LeatherneckPA 01-11-2007 07:53 AM

No change this week, still 342. But start using the training center at the joint tomorrow when I go back to work.

Jarhead* 01-11-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wab

I tried to calculate what sort of energy was required to break my wrist. 200lbs falling from about 3 ft concentrated on an area of about a square inch. I found that the radius will fracture under a compression load of about 16,000 psi. But I couldn't figure out how to relate that to the energy of my fall.

;D ;D

Wab: Been a tough winter in the PacNW.

Nords 01-11-2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wab

Three different scales say I weigh 186, 193, and 199. They're all quite precise, for whatever that's worth. Do I get to choose which one's the most accurate?

The postal scale says that my orthopedic knee braces weigh two pounds each. Here's a hint from our local postmaster: You don't have to be wearing them to figure out how much they weigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaHa
One thing I don't get about BMI, it doesn't seem to use your sex as an input. But a 5-9" man at 150# is going to be in a different place from a woman the same height and weight, unless she is unusually heavily muscled.

BMI ignores both gender and musculature, so as a measure of health & fitness I'm not sure that it's worth much more than the convenience of a simple standard of comparison that should be combined with other factors like waist size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wab
Any mechanical engineering geeks in the house?

Yeah, upgrading from statics to dynamics means that the force is less important than the effective application of momentum & leverage! The fall probably only had to break a tiny part of the ossified matrix before the rest of it collapsed like a house of cards...

For example, was the injury a classic defensive wound? Would it have been avoided if you'd had the chance to execute a roll or at least curl into a fetal ball?

SolidA 01-11-2007 01:54 PM

HEY JJ - I like your BMI better than my trainer's. Can I quit now, since I've reached one of my goals???? :laugh: Hmm... wonder if his scale was off, too!!! (a girl can hope, can't she?!). Hope you all are doing well today on this challenge. Katie

lazygood4nothinbum 01-12-2007 05:03 PM

inspired by wednesday weigh ins i have started laps at the swimming hall of fame in lauderdale. just got back from my 18-mile round trip bike ride there. i stopped swimming in my favorite pool when mom told me she couldn't handle it anymore. we swam there for years. then later, as she started to forget how to swim, the lifeguards kept good watch on her so i could do my laps. eventually she was just swimming with only one arm coming out of the water, then she was down to the breast stroke, then back to the doggie paddle and then that was it.

so, i'm a little sad but it felt good. it really is the most wonderful pool. mom loved it there. well, it's good to be moving forward. boy am i hungry.

[img width=750 height=562]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/lazygood4nothinbum/a1a-southbound.jpg[/img]

[img width=750 height=495]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/lazygood4nothinbum/swim-hall-of-fame.jpg[/img]

TromboneAl 01-12-2007 06:09 PM

Nice adjustable stem. I just got one of those, and it's great to get the handlebar height just right.

Thanks for the photos -- they make me want to go to a warm beach.

Zipper 01-12-2007 06:33 PM

This is unreal Lazygood4! ;D

In September of 1999 my brother took an advanced diving course just a short distance from your pool. We stayed in a solid concrete bunker type motel just off Seabreeze Blvd.(more on that later). Google map shows it's still there.

He took the courses and I just mainly lazed around the pool and the beach just across the road.

As you well know, that's when Floyd made a beeline for Ft. Lauderdale and at the last minute veered north. Half the motel buggered off and got caught in the rush upstate. The rest of us stayed. The owner said the motel was built in the 50's of concrete and could withstand a tidal wave.

Now to the funny part! :laugh:

As part of his training my bro had to train a newbie (me) for a novice dive, so we all went to your pool.

It was my first time in diving gear and I'm a quick study so everything went well.

The funniest thing though was swimming around the bottom of the pool and looking at all the hairballs, snot streamers, scabs, bugs and bandaids. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The next day we all went out to the reef and I had my first dive. Amazing experience. Clear water and lots of coral and fish.

I really loved the public beach and walkway up to Las Olas and the whole city in general. The Jungle Queen riverboat was only a 2 minute walk from my place and I got to see some pretty nice mansions and a lot of humungus yachts. I went up to Butterfly World and both of us got to the big Sawgrass Mills Mall.

So my advice to you is stay on the surface at the International Hall of Fame swimming pool. :laugh:

lazygood4nothinbum 01-12-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Nice adjustable stem. I just got one of those, and it's great to get the handlebar height just right.

Thanks for the photos -- they make me want to go to a warm beach.

come on down. the water's fine :) . that's a hybrid but i call it the cruiser. adjustability makes big difference. is set up for comfy upright bike rides to the beach or around town, also suitable for flat trails. i got it with a 1 size too small frame and keep the seat (on a quick release latch) high for me. i figured that way i could have friends with shorter legs borrow for easy trail rides or to head to the beach with me on visits. have a regular roadie for serious rides and a really fun full suspension bike for trails, single track or urban assaults. very handy for hopping curbs and cutting off traffic during peak tourist season or after a storm when roads are wet. that puppy's got hayes hydraulic disc brakes. hey, if it's good enough for a harley, it's good enough for my bicycle.

zipper, thanx for the gruesome details; i thought we sent you back to charm school. i assume you were training in the multipurpose pool, closest to the ocean in the pic. that pool is 4 ft lap depth on one end but 12 or 15 feet on other. so all the crap would wind up where you were. with hurricane on the way, perhaps they had other things to do besides vacuuming for you. generally the pools are kept quite clean. i normally swim in the tournament pool but was in the multi today. outside of some wind blown debris on the bottom, the water was crystal clear and clean. visibility excellent.

i used to know the jungle queen's owner's son back in college. he was a friend of a friend of a cousin of mine. my cousin had told me her friend lived in town. so of course i ran into these guys at a party in my room the first day i came to college. we played chess a few times after that but he could never beat me and his ego couldn't handle that. his parents had a nice house off the intracoastal with a 50something footer out back.

as to the huge yachts and mansions, those would be the guys who did not retire early (edit: and south americans parking assets.)

SecondCor521 01-17-2007 01:19 PM

197.2 :( >:(

I'll have to change tactics. I've been trying the "skip breakfast - eat out for lunch - binge on pizza at 10:30 p.m." approach, and that isn't working too well. Guess I should try doing what worked before (1500 calories spread evenly throughout the day, healthier foods, lifting weights).

2Cor521

lazygood4nothinbum 01-17-2007 06:20 PM

tough week after dealing with realtors & mom's house. i get so sad when i have to go there. way too depressing. i'm not even getting on the scale. i'll try again next week.

CCdaCE 01-17-2007 08:50 PM

213. Up, up, and away.

-CC

Alan 01-17-2007 08:59 PM

171, down 2lbs on the week

Amazing what having a target date for weigh-ins will do. My target range is 168 - 172.

I just finished watching the first of a new series on BBC Americas (30 mins long) where they take a volunteer who is obviously very unhealthy, and medically estimate the person's heath age after a whole battery of physical and medical tests including blood work, scans etc. Then they put the subject on an 8 week program of change in diet, exercise with a personal trainer then go back and re-do the tests.

Athe start of this first week the 53 year old lady was very obese, had beginning stages of alcohol damage to the liver, fat on the heart etc. Life expectancy for the average 53 yr old woman is 85, her medical life expectancy was 65.

After 8 weeks she was transformed, reduced body fat including internal body fat on heart, waist size 34.5", etc. Liver damage already showing lots of improvement. New medical life expectancy 81. I hadn't realized how quickly you turn around decades of a sedentary heavy drinking lifestyle. the body really is remarkable.

the program is called "Turning Back The Clock"
https://www.bbcamerica.com/content/96/index.jsp

TargaDave 01-18-2007 04:02 AM

Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.

Outtahere 01-18-2007 06:56 AM

No change over last Wed. I consider that a victory since I'm still not able to do any cardio work with my ankle.

LeatherneckPA 01-18-2007 07:42 AM

341, only down one pound. But it is DOWN.

Sarah in SC 01-18-2007 08:08 AM

Joining late, but down to 179 today from a high of 204 in November. About 1100 calories a day, 2x week personal trainer, new bikes! A challenge from my insanely healthy boss; who pays for the trainer. Hoping to get to 150. 5' 8" 36 yrs old.
If only beer had no calories....sigh.

Sarah

simple girl 01-18-2007 08:15 AM

Up one pound, to 135# again :-[

Started counting calories yesterday, doing a 1300 cal/day plan.

McClesters - how do you manage on 1100 calories? I'm starving on 1300! BTW, great job so far!

Sarah in SC 01-18-2007 08:27 AM

I starve, I promise. It sucks. We do go out and eat some awesome Cuban food and drink some beer periodically, blowing out the calorie count. On the next two days after those, I really starve. But you can get used to it.
We are doing the Zone thing, 40% of calories from veggies and fruit, 30% from lean protein, and 30% from fat. It is a bit approximate, but I've learned some dramatic lessons about portion size (bought a little kitchen scale). One chicken breast is two servings? Damn!

Sarah

simple girl 01-18-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclesters
I starve, I promise. It sucks. We do go out and eat some awesome Cuban food and drink some beer periodically, blowing out the calorie count. On the next two days after those, I really starve. But you can get used to it.
We are doing the Zone thing, 40% of calories from veggies and fruit, 30% from lean protein, and 30% from fat. It is a bit approximate, but I've learned some dramatic lessons about portion size (bought a little kitchen scale). One chicken breast is two servings? Damn!

Sarah

Sorry to hear you are starving, too...but gotta admit, it makes me feel better! LOL. Misery loves company.

You know, you are right, you do get used to it. I have to remind myself of that. It seems the first 3-5 days you are REALLY starving, then your stomach shrinks or something, and it doesn't feel quite as bad.

You are soooo right about portion size. I have a kitchen scale, too. I've always had a problem with portion size. That's why I seem to only be able to lose weight if I weigh and measure. It's really time consuming, though, especially when you first start out. I'm using an excel document now where I enter the calorie counts for my typical foods, and I add to it as I go. I then run a daily tally of calories as well. Easier for me than recalculating it all day.

I've also really been focusing on eating SLOWER. I try to make each meal last at least 20 minutes. Didn't realize how fast I was gobbling my food down. I can't believe the difference this makes - not only in feeling fuller, but having less indigestion (I have bad reflux).

We keep our fat to < 30% too. Lots of veggies, whole grains in our diet.

Sarah in SC 01-18-2007 09:51 AM

Another great use for excel!
I am actually using the Corinne Netzer Dieter's Diary (little spiral bound book) so I can carry it to work and back, and it has a calorie counter in the back. Keeping to the same handful of meals makes it easier to keep track of calories, and it is easy to see when you aren't losing, why! My boss bought me the book, and seems pleased that I've kept it up for a month and a half. I think the old adage about goals is true: what gets measured gets done.

Khan 01-18-2007 10:04 AM

I have temporarily stopped losing pounds, but am still losing volume.

Robert the Red 01-18-2007 10:45 AM

Back down to 186 this morning, from 190 at New Year's Day. 185 was my stable weight for the last 2 years, after my dietization. So I've managed to shed most of the Polish cakes!
https://coxklosek.com/Photos/Poland20...2006Cakes.html

wabmester 01-18-2007 12:36 PM

Initial weight: 204 (sans cast)
Today: 205 (with cast)

Doc says it's not a good idea to sweat while wearing the cast, so I'll be pretty sedentary for a while. Only upside is that it's a little harder to eat with one hand.

Nords 01-18-2007 02:10 PM

190. No particular lifestyle changes.

Anyone ever hear whether Walford's ALS was linked to his calorie restriction diet? Spouse was watching a Nova the other day that related longevity to only two factors: CR or being a member of the Azerbajani gene pool. Spouse has the latter and I have neither... yet...

igsoy 01-20-2007 12:03 AM

I'll join in, here. Last week DH and I started a 2 month challenge at the rec center. We have been mostly sedentary this past year, and were both feeling pretty flabby.

Day 1 for me: 5'1" 136, BF 30.7%
DH: 5'10" 191.5 , BF 21.7%

We are counting calories, I am aiming for under 1200/day, he is going for under 2000/day. We are back running on the treadmill, shooting for 30 mins. per day, soon to add lifting.

Our first week we did stick to our food limits, and exercise has been more days than not, but not perfect. Tomorrow, we are going out to buy a Nintendo Wii, you can use the boxing and tennis games for fun workouts, too, like this guy (lost 9 lbs. in 6 weeks):

https://wiinintendo.net/category/fan-boy/

TargaDave 01-24-2007 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TargaDave
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.

1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :P

simple girl 01-24-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple girl
Up one pound, to 135# again :-[

Started counting calories yesterday, doing a 1300 cal/day plan.

McClesters - how do you manage on 1100 calories? I'm starving on 1300! BTW, great job so far!

Well, down 1# to 134#. Slow and steady...at least it's a downward trend this week. I increased my cardio and started weight training again this week. Still following the 1300 cal plan - in fact, averaged around 1200 to 1250 without too much additional effort. The sensation of "starving" diminished about midway through the week! And my pants are starting to fit more comfortably!

HFWR 01-24-2007 08:40 AM

Dreamer 01-24-2007 10:23 AM

Okay, I am in also. I am 52, 5ft 1 1/2 in, and my scale shows 115, but I think our scales are about 3 lbs light, so 118. My goal is to be at 110 by the end of the year. If I could get to 105, it would be better, but I will be happy if it is 110. I really need to get firmed up.

I am very concerned about my DH's weight. He is 55, 5ft 8 in and now weighs 230lbs. He has been "trying to lose weight" for the past few months and has gained weight in the process. I bought him the book, You on a Diet, the Owner's Manual for Waist Management by Michael Roizen, MD and Mehmet Oz, MD. His waist size is 44", which is very bad for his health. I know that it is not good to get on someone else about their weight, but it is so hard not to say anything when you love them. I don't want to be a widow!

Sarah in SC 01-24-2007 10:47 AM

Dreamer, that is the one upside to DH and I weighing exactly the same amount--too much! We both know we need to diet! All the advice I have is to cook smaller portions for him at night (there's how old fashioned I am, I assume you cook for him) and try to get him to brown bag good stuff for lunch. Men are basically lazy about food and if it is all right there, maybe he'll eat better.

I am still #179, but I DID had 12 beers on Saturday (!)--went up to Myrtle Beach for a concert with a friend and we got a little wild. Back to water for the week. Sigh.

Sarah

Dreamer 01-24-2007 11:03 AM

I do cook for him. His portion control is bad. I have a daughter that is 5ft 3 in and weighs around 100lbs. She is very picky and I try to make sure that I cook foods that she will eat also. She can eat very healthy at times and at other times it is complete junk. Maybe, I should start packing his lunch for him. He eats out alot at lunch or vendors will bring junk food into his workplace.

Wow! If I were to drink 12 beers I would not have been wild, I would have been passed out! I guess that I am a lightweight! Sounds like you had a good time. Water is my favorite drink! Good luck.

Pam

Nords 01-24-2007 01:02 PM

Somewhere in the past two weeks, despite the orthopedic braces, in my testosterone-poisoned boomeritis I managed to hyperextend my left knee again. I'm getting that "ruh-roh" pain from the left lateral meniscus that I already feel in the left medial meniscus. The swelling's not any worse than "usual" but it's kinda hard to run & hop on that left leg.

I might've done it this time. No tae kwon do or tournaments for a while, and I was really close to that damned red belt test too. Back to the other knee strengthening & mobility exercises... and I'll probably have to watch how much I eat now, too.

SolidA 01-24-2007 01:08 PM

Well, I am feeling more fit and I know I have more muscle tone, but I don't think I've lost any weight yet (muscle weighs more than fat, right??!!) Seriously, my hubby and I have been watching what we eat, and I have been exercising at least 3x per week (2x with trainer). SO, I am feeling pretty good about myself. Now, about those pesky 5-10 extra pounds...

LeatherneckPA 01-24-2007 01:23 PM

Down another pound, 340 even. Rowing three nights a week and packing supper instead of eating high carb, high fat crap at the prison. Have to add a little more cardio, and then start lifting next week.

Intermediate goal is to be under 300 before May 1st when I travel to FL to visit my parents.

Sarah in SC 01-24-2007 01:30 PM

Good job Bop! Hey, do you listen to podcasts? There is a good one called Zap120 that is by a guy that is trying to get from 320 to 200 this year. I really enjoy his discourses on food choices and it is refreshing to hear about his success thus far. I found the podcast on iTunes, but I think he has a website called zap120.com. He talks a lot about his exercise routine and his music mixes are great for working out.(I do a lot of rowing, too!). It is one of my favorite podcasts.
Sarah

haha 01-24-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

I am still #179, but I DID had 12 beers on Saturday (!)--went up to Myrtle Beach for a concert with a friend and we got a little wild.

Wow. Did you crawl back to your car?

Ha

Sarah in SC 01-24-2007 03:07 PM

Nah, we walked back to the hotel from the last bar.
I may drink a lot, but don't drink and drive!
I did discover that alcohol still doesn't improve my pool game a whole lot! After so many weeks of dieting, and drinking lite beer sparingly, it was awesome to kick it with some Shiner Bock, Sam Adams, Flying Dog Pale, & Stella Artois!
Sarah

califdreamer 01-24-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

it was awesome to kick it with some Shiner Bock, Sam Adams, Flying Dog Pale, & Stella Artois!
Sarah

Sarah, I wanna party with you guys :D

LeatherneckPA 01-26-2007 02:06 PM

Thanks Sarah. Every little bit counts-down.

Love the libation selections. I am personally working my way through a "sampler" case of Troeg's ales. Four different ones. I allow myself as many as two bottles a week. Hey, it's a diet, not not vow of a monk.

simple girl 01-31-2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple girl
Well, down 1# to 134#. Slow and steady...at least it's a downward trend this week. I increased my cardio and started weight training again this week. Still following the 1300 cal plan - in fact, averaged around 1200 to 1250 without too much additional effort. The sensation of "starving" diminished about midway through the week! And my pants are starting to fit more comfortably!

Down 2# this week, to 132#. Yippee! That's down a total of 3# in 2 weeks. Still sticking to my diet, but haven't worked out since Saturday. gotta get back on the bike today.