Now officially an Old Fart

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Today we went to Minneapolis/St. Paul and I bought a scooter:

1090597402-1.jpg

A Yamaha Vino 125. We can put it on a rack and carry it on the back of our motorhome. It only weighs 240 wet so it should be pretty easy to get on and off a rack. The silver will match our color scheme. :) We will pick it up next week and it will be ready for our southern trip. It should be good on the side streets, not speedy enough for freeways, but the wheels are too small to go much over 60mph safely anyway.

A few years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead with a scooter. But I am am over 50 and boy is it sweet for a toy. :)

Martha,
What kind of bike is the pink thing in your avitar. That one looks like more fun!

Did you get the studded snow tires, hand warmers, heated seat and other Minnesota winter options?

Arc said:
Martha,
What kind of bike is the pink thing in your avitar. That one looks like more fun!

Don't know, it isn't my bike. :-[ I do like sport bikes and had a Ninja. Bikes in our household tend to come and go so I may end up with a sportbike again at some point. This is the first cycle I have bought new, but it wasn't big bucks either.

youbet said:
Did you get the studded snow tires, hand warmers, heated seat and other Minnesota winter options?

:p

We aren't even picking it up until it gets above 0.

Looks sharp. Thats all you need with a motor home. I bought a gas sucker this week. A 2006 Chev Trailblazer.
Probably not the smartest purchase, but it does ride nice. Nice deal too. :)

A few years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead with a scooter.

I dunno, Martha -- 8 grillion Italians can't be wrong. Just be sure you're wearing Gucci or Armani when riding it!

Well, I guess I'm starting to get to old fartdom, too! I've been looking at those Vinos for several months, and am about 90% convinced that I'll probably have one in the not-too-distant future.

I had a moped about 30 yrs. ago and loved it for zipping around town. All I'll need to do is mount a fishing pole holder on it! 8)

The bad news is that she wants to park it in MY kitchen until we leave. Somehow things are awry here ::).

But the good news is that my Old Fart smells like roses.

Martha said:
Don't know, it isn't my bike. :-[ I do like sport bikes and had a Ninja. Bikes in our household tend to come and go so I may end up with a sportbike again at some point. This is the first cycle I have bought new, but it wasn't big bucks either.

:p

We aren't even picking it up until it gets above 0.

You rode a Ninja?? Are all the chicks on this board super cool or what??

Martha, I ride a Triumph Daytona for longer trips and a Yamaha YZF R-1 to elevate my heart rate, but scooters are ALLWAYS cool. Anyone who doesn't see that is simply style disadvantaged.

:)

Non sequitur said:
Martha, I ride a Triumph Daytona for longer trips and a Yamaha YZF R-1 to elevate my heart rate, but scooters are ALLWAYS cool. Anyone who doesn't see that is simply style disadvantaged.

:)

Thanks, it is pretty isn't it? And so practical. There is a big space under the seat to stash stuff. There is a hook in front of the seat to hang stuff. There is a rack on the back to put stuff.

Love the R-1 but I am too height challenged to ride it.

Naw, you're not an old fart until you get one of these.

Attachments

• Scooter.jpg
    Scooter.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Scooter.jpg_thumb
    27 KB · Views: 0
Martha said:
For me, the height of cool is the Vmax. Hooligan bike or what. 8)

I put 48,000 miles on my 1988 V-Max before I got the Daytona. I was surprised to discover that the Triumph was just as quick off the mark as the Vmx-12 and easiy ran away from it at anything over 100 mph. On any road that wasn't straight there was no comparison at all. I still loved the feeling Mr. Max gave me though. Tires?... Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Martha said:
A Yamaha Vino 125. We can put it on a rack and carry it on the back of our motorhome. It only weighs 240 wet so it should be pretty easy to get on and off a rack. The silver will match our color scheme. :) We will pick it up next week and it will be ready for our southern trip. It should be good on the side streets, not speedy enough for freeways, but the wheels are too small to go much over 60mph safely anyway.

A few years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead with a scooter. But I am am over 50 and boy is it sweet for a toy. :)

Cool toy! Can't tell from the picture, is it large enough to carry two adults?
How do you plan to get it on the rack? Pushing it up a ramp or lifting it? Anyway, enjoy.

Sam said:
Cool toy! Can't tell from the picture, is it large enough to carry two adults?
How do you plan to get it on the rack? Pushing it up a ramp or lifting it? Anyway, enjoy.

It can take two up. There is a place for the passenger to put his or her feet. Greg and I sat on it together at the store and we fit, barely.

Max weight capacity is 317 pounds.

We are still looking at carriers. We want one with a ramp to run the thing up onto the rack.

Martha said:
We are still looking at carriers. We want one with a ramp to run the thing up onto the rack.

cyclerackpic07.gif
These guys make one for $455 shipped. You just roll it on, then tilt and lock in position. I've looked before as I've coveted your purchase for the last year or two. However, no RV yet. Thinking about a Safari Trek 24 or 28, of a few years old vintage to start out. http://www.motorcycle-carriers.net/motorcycle_carriers_tilt_a_rack.html

I know someone who had something like that, and demonstrated how light it was by picking it up. But the brake lever got stuck in his nostril, and it tore his nose up. Dangerous.

HFWR said:
All you need is Dennis Hopper... 8)

Ayup.

JonnyM said:
cyclerackpic07.gif
These guys make one for $455 shipped. You just roll it on, then tilt and lock in position. I've looked before as I've coveted your purchase for the last year or two. However, no RV yet. Thinking about a Safari Trek 24 or 28, of a few years old vintage to start out. http://www.motorcycle-carriers.net/motorcycle_carriers_tilt_a_rack.html

I was surprised to see how expensive carriers are. We ended up with a VersaHaul carrier, seems to be well liked on the RV forums, has a ramp, and can hold up to 500 pounds so we can put a bigger bike on it if we want.

CRABBY JERRY said:
Hi Martha, What kind of motor home do you have?

We have a LazyDaze.

img_477702_1_5afc3ba2963fedbd2924f5ed6d897402.jpg

moped_mazeguy.gif

Back
Top Bottom