Blood Pressure Question

DangerMouse

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My blood pressure has always been on the low side. 90/70 is not unusual for me. Today it was 85/75. I am wondering at what number does it become too low? Does anyone know of an online site that gives good advice with specific numbers on blood pressure?

Spouse has this profile. As long as she's not stung by a bee or kept standing for long periods, she's fine.

She scares a lot of BP screeners, though.

DangerMouse said:
My blood pressure has always been on the low side. 90/70 is not unusual for me. Today it was 85/75. I am wondering at what number does it become too low? Does anyone know of an online site that gives good advice with specific numbers on blood pressure?

Virtually all studies show that the lower your blood pressure the lower your risk for stroke, heart failure, kidney failure and the like.

If it's not low due to a disease and is not causing significant symptoms, be thankful and enjoy life.

Rare longterm disease causes: adrenal insufficiency, neurologic injuries, autonomic insufficiency (a disorder where the involuntary nerves that control blood vessel tone get messed up), medications intended for other illnesses.

Also beware a dropping blood pressure. That can be a sign that you are down in total blood. It is very difficult to detect. Two female friends have had this problem. Transfusions fixed them both and the cause was never determined.

Note this, from Loose Chicken's link:

It should be noted that unlike high blood pressure, which is defined on the basis of blood pressure alone, low blood pressure is defined primarily by signs and symptoms of low blood flow. In fact, some individuals may have a blood pressure of 90/50 and have no signs or symptoms of low blood pressure, and, therefore, not have low blood pressure while others who normally have a blood pressure of 130/80 may develop symptoms and signs of low blood pressure if their blood pressure drops to 100/60.

Back
Top Bottom