Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Forum Admin (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/)
-   -   Ignore list? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/ignore-list-28075.html)

Nords 07-14-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 536114)
IP addresses are only visible to the moderators. If you're a mod, each post shows an IP address and there are logs you can dump. However, IP addresses are like post office return addresses...you can write in pretty much whatever you want by going through a proxy or an 'anonymizer' site.

The old moderator IP tools were pretty slick-- you clicked on a poster's name to get to their profile, and then there were two links to "check IPs". I forget the names of the two links but one listed all the IPs that poster had ever used, and another listed all the posters who'd ever used a specific IP. So you could check both names & IP addresses. IIRC you could also see what IP addresses they'd used for their last dozen or so posts and whether or not there had been any login errors.

I haven't used these IP tools much (they're much more awkward, requiring a second login and a lot of keystrokes) but I can't ever recall anyone other than CFB using a proxy router. Some posters would have literally dozens of IP addresses from using dialup, others would have two or three from switching among work/home/travel, some would only have one.

It's not rocket science and the IP address wasn't usually the first sign. Moderator antenna would twitch when a poster reminded a moderator of someone else. It'd be similar vocabulary or sentence structure or a certain subject or wading right into another poster without seeming to need to get acquainted first. A very first post jumping into a subject without any sort of introduction might be a tipoff too. (The same frequently applied to spammers.) So by the time a moderator found one IP address with two user names there was never any doubt. We'd post our findings to the moderator's section of the board and talk about what, if anything, needed to be done.

If I remember someone using multiple IDs when I was a moderator, and if it looks like it's happening again, then I'm going to call moderator attention to it. If it looks like two posters are suspiciously similar in nature then I'm going to call moderator attention to it. And if it's spam, then I'm going to... you get the point. But I'll also let you know what I think you're doing.

If I'm not responding directly to your posts then it's probably because you're on my "Ignore Poster" list. But if it's really important to you to get my attention then feel free to send me a PM. Or forward your complaints to a moderator, and I'm sure things will get worked out!

Having said that, I won't be on the board much between now and the 26th.

honobob 07-14-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nords (Post 536177)
If I'm not responding directly to your posts then it's probably because you're on my "Ignore Poster" list. But if it's really important to you to get my attention then feel free to send me a PM. Or forward your complaints to a moderator, and I'm sure things will get worked out!

Having said that, I won't be on the board much between now and the 26th.

So the ignore list is just meant to be "I'll ignore you in public but I can't really ignore you (please love me) so I'll go thru other posters to see what's going on and then act like I'm all about being forthright so I'll accept your adulation/unwarranted criticism in private". Passive/agressive?

Would someone please tell the poster to act like a grown man? I may be in an ignoring mood.

If it's important for you to respond to someone on your ignore list, don't. Directly OR indirectly. You're defeating the purpose! But, we're all on the edge of our seats, are we on your list or not?

Having said that, I'll probably be here about every day for the next few weeks.

Ignore Poster. Helpful tool or people basher?

If you're not on my list, and you're not, question why!

Much Aloha
Honobob

Danny 07-15-2007 01:40 AM

I finally have someone to put on ignore, does it handle PMs too?

I just received this.

Hello,

I read your post concerning travel. I recently found a way to save on all of my travel and receive Travel Agent rates. Please have look at my site and listen to this 3 minute recorded call
1-646-222-0102

Here's to saving money!

Shelley Markley
https://www.tripsondemand.com
__________________
Shelley
http://www.tripsondemand.com

REWahoo 07-15-2007 05:04 AM

Dan, you shouldn't be bothered by shelleym again. That account has been banned.

cute fuzzy bunny 07-15-2007 10:12 AM

I'm pretty sure that PM's from someone on your ignore list dont go through either, but I havent tried it.

I think originally the 'ignore user' list ONLY worked on PM's and was later expanded to cover posts.

Nords 07-15-2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 536211)
Dan, you shouldn't be bothered by shelleym again. That account has been banned.

Considering the five-user limit on PM addressing, I wonder how much she expected to get for what must've been a stupendous investment of labor. Especially from a board full of people who don't need cheap travel websites to learn about cheap travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 536270)
I'm pretty sure that PM's from someone on your ignore list dont go through either, but I havent tried it.

Never thought of that... maybe that's why users can send both PMs and e-mails.

cute fuzzy bunny 07-15-2007 10:31 AM

Might be effective on both. I thought it was a block on the send side where the s/w would check the recipients ignore list before allowing a message send. But that was an old vbulletin extension for some godawful old version of vb, back about 6-7 years ago. Add in my faulty memory and...

BigMoneyJim 07-15-2007 10:43 AM

There have been several posters who periodically abandon one account and start a new one. I've never really had a problem with that, but I don't recall someone posting as two different identities simultaneously being tolerated for very long, especially if they converse with themselves in the same threads.

On the other hand, nobody is actively searching for this. Usually what happens is one or two users in particular will sniff it out and report it, although in at least half the cases there has been no evidence supporting the dual identity theory.

I don't think any suspected multi-account poster has used onion routing here...I would expect that to show up as IP's from unrelated sources over time. Usually IPs from one poster are consistent within a service provider or two...home and work, or perhaps they changed providers during their posting career.

cute fuzzy bunny 07-15-2007 10:51 AM

I doubt its something that happens very often, unless someone wants to be a jerk and has a little knowledge. Doesnt take much to go to a 'cloak' or 'anonymizer' web site, punch in the address and go to town.

It doesnt really get suspicious until a user shows up and immediately asks that the IP addresses get checked, because they know they're going to be different. ;)

Danny 07-15-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 536211)
Dan, you shouldn't be bothered by shelleym again. That account has been banned.

Thanks Wahoo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim (Post 536296)
There have been several posters who periodically abandon one account and start a new one. I've never really had a problem with that, but I don't recall someone posting as two different identities simultaneously being tolerated for very long, especially if they converse with themselves in the same threads. On the other hand, nobody is actively searching for this. Usually what happens is one or two users in particular will sniff it out and report it, although in at least half the cases there has been no evidence supporting the dual identity theory. I don't think any suspected multi-account poster has used onion routing here...I would expect that to show up as IP's from unrelated sources over time. Usually IPs from one poster are consistent within a service provider or two...home and work, or perhaps they changed providers during their posting career.

Same here. Confession time, although I think most know this already, for a time I was DanTien, Daneboy and IntoThe Mystic....I think I was trying to break free of my pollmeister stigma, to get CutThroat to get off my back about not wanting to eat farmed salmon, etc., never did anything malicious, don't remember talking to myself on the board, but do here at home . I'm DT all time now though, although I remember that some thought ITM had a better persona than DT.

Webzter 07-15-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTien (Post 536326)
to get CutThroat to get off my back about not wanting to eat farmed salmon

Someone was mad at you about not wanting to eat skanky, poor quality, unhealthy fish?

Danny 07-15-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webzter (Post 536335)
Someone was mad at you about not wanting to eat skanky, poor quality, unhealthy fish?

yeah, he was really mean to me...

cute fuzzy bunny 07-15-2007 01:37 PM

https://www.early-retirement.org/foru.../nm-18796.html

He deleted the original post and the original login back when you could do such a thing. A fine example of the problems with 'free editing forever'.

The OP basically told us that we should all buy farmed fish, that it tasted better than wild, and that you were stupid if you didnt agree.

As a fisherman and card carrying member of many anglers groups, it was probably some lame attempt to get people to stop overfishing the wild varieties so there'd be more potential catches for hobby fishermen.

Webzter 07-15-2007 03:35 PM

That's an awesome thread.

Danny 07-16-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 536356)
https://www.early-retirement.org/foru.../nm-18796.html

He deleted the original post and the original login back when you could do such a thing. A fine example of the problems with 'free editing forever'.

The OP basically told us that we should all buy farmed fish, that it tasted better than wild, and that you were stupid if you didnt agree.

As a fisherman and card carrying member of many anglers groups, it was probably some lame attempt to get people to stop overfishing the wild varieties so there'd be more potential catches for hobby fishermen.

a minor thing....also he was a moderator.

haha 07-16-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTien (Post 536338)
yeah, he was really mean to me...

Can someone post a link to that thread? CT knows more about fish than the next 50 of us, it doesn't ring true to me that he claimed that farmed fish was equal to wild.

He eats fish right out of the river in AK for heaven's sake!

Ha

cute fuzzy bunny 07-16-2007 06:47 PM

Scroll up a little bit Ha...I linked it...

chinaco 07-17-2007 03:40 AM

I have a serious request!

Why not add a "Rant" sub forum (under General)? Kinda like a sound-proof room where people can get their political (and other) ranting ( diatribe )out of their system.

Most people who have posted here (including myself) have shown the worst of their behavior at one time or another. For that matter, some of the most prolific posters (that are criticizing here) slide into personal attacks and name calling on a regular basis. If someone is seriously contributing to the body of knowledge (and opinion)... why shun them if they have a moment?

There is a little bit of an interesting phenomenon going on here. It seems that the ignore list is "used to do just that" in a private way. To air your personal view (ax to grind) publicly seems a little manipulative.

Note - I am not talking about dealing with a real Troll. This term has been painted on a few people who simply have differing (or strong) opinions. It is sometimes used as a form of manipulation to shame someone into conforming with others opinions. I think that most would agree that a real troll has no such social inclinations to be manipulated.

If a Rant forum is created... I will bet that most everyone that has posted here will make a regular stop just to see what the latest flap is about!

Sorry for the Rant!

BigMoneyJim 07-17-2007 05:46 AM

I'm not seeing the advantage. A rant forum would seem to encourage more ranting, and in my experience that just gets other people worked up and often spills over to the rest of the board.

ladelfina 07-17-2007 06:49 AM

I agree w/BigMoneyJim.. plus what looks like a rant to one person is an impassioned debate to another. Anything to do with money has the possibility of raising questions about politics, so it's just best to let these bubbles form and pop naturally. Even threads about fishing or cars can get political.. you just never know in advance where anything will lead. (Which, to me, is the fun part.)

There's only a minority of consistent ranters and a minority that are consistently offended by them; the rest of the board seems to have a pretty good sense of perspective, proportion and relative tolerance.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.