IP addresses

Arif

Full time employment: Posting here.
As most folks know I live in Panama. While we get most shows/channles on TV here, there are some that we don't get like NBC. Some channel's website have a section where you can watch the show online EXCEPT if you're outside the US. The only way I figure they know I'm outside the US is because of my IP address. Any of you computer savy folks know how I can get around this?

Use a US based proxy server. Google "open proxy servers", read some basic info/do-s, dont-s, find a list, configure your browser and go.

Another option for getting US television abroad is to setup a Slingbox in the US and stream it to your laptop. I have mine hooked up to a Tivo so I can record my favorite shows and "sling" them to me wherever I am at.

Pretty soon the Slingcatcher should be out which means you won't need your laptop. Just hook it up to your TV, the internet and your TV will stream to you wherever you are. Oh yeah, with the Slingcatcher you can take your remote with you and use it just like you were sitting in front of the TV in the States.

How is the connectivity in Panama. I look at spending some time in Costa Rica but the costal towns had spotty highspeed. I suspect it's much better in Panama. Do you use a cable modem or DSL? What is the name of your internet provider?

Thanks guys I look into both solutions. I had actually bought a slingbox when we first decided to move here but figured I didn't need it and returned it to Best Buy. I might just wait for the Slingcatcher so I can hook it up right to the TV.
We use a cable modem and our ISP is Cable Onda. Very reliable service using two VOIP phones, downloading torrents, two computers and a laptop with no problems. Here you pay according to the speed of your connection but I can't remember the option we chose.

Back
Top Bottom