Shark Attack at My Break

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There was a shark attack today at the place that I usually surf. The shark bit the board, and the woman fell onto his back. The shark swam away, leaving a big bite mark and a tooth or two in the board. The woman was unhurt. From the bite, they estimated that it was a 15 foot great white.

I don't think I'll ever surf at that spot again, but I do think I'll continue at another spot where there's never been an attack.

img_561601_0_3a268f2185f64f8b364793bc168bfc8c.jpg

Yeah, yikes! But I don't need sharks to keep me out of the water. Just knowing that there are unseen living things swimming around is enough to keep me on shore most of the time.

I was body surfing once and a few dolphins joined me. Most would say "cool!" Not me. I went back to the beach. And I almost stepped on a ray on the way in.

Trombone Al,
Those dudes sitting out there on their boards look like "topwater plugs" to a great white shark. :eek:
Usually we are at the top of the food chain but not in this case huh?
Looks like you have the best idea by surfing somewhere else!
Good luck though because I know you won't stop surfing. I understand the passion for fun and you do too.

There was a shark attack today at the place that I usually surf. The shark bit the board, and the woman fell onto his back. The shark swam away, leaving a big bite mark and a tooth or two in the board.
That's a helluva way to expand a shark-tooth collection.

I don't think I'll ever surf at that spot again, but I do think I'll continue at another spot where there's never been an attack.
Taleb would claim that we're afflicted by recency over what's really a black swan event. But I don't know how I'd feel about surfing my beach if it had an attack.

Does the site have a shark-attack history? Any recent changes in the area, like "shark encounter" tours or fishers cleaning their catch? Have wetsuits offered any protection or discouraged sharks from more than a "nibble"? Anything else to rationalize continuing to surf there?

Every time we see White Plains' winter monk seal, and last month when I saw my first sea turtle there (in over five years), I enjoy the sight and then I wonder if they're attracting the predators...

A shark attack! omg.

Yeah, yikes! But I don't need sharks to keep me out of the water. Just knowing that there are unseen living things swimming around is enough to keep me on shore most of the time.
I was body surfing once and a few dolphins joined me. Most would say "cool!" Not me. I went back to the beach. And I almost stepped on a ray on the way in.

That says a lot of it for me also. Billy is the one who taught me to 'love' the ocean and beaches... but knowing what fish do in the water still creeps me out... haha!

Trombone Al - enjoy yourself wherever you decide to surf!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Here's the news story:

Times-Standard Online - Fortuna woman letting brush with shark sink in

I guess it actually happened last Thursday.

Does the site have a shark-attack history?

Yes, that location has a reputation. On a web site that ranked shark danger from 1-10, that site ranked 8.

Any recent changes in the area, like "shark encounter" tours or fishers cleaning their catch?

No.

Have wetsuits offered any protection or discouraged sharks from more than a "nibble"?

Yes and no. From my extensive TV experience with sharks, I gather that a shark will often zip up to a seal, take a big bite, then hang back and let the animal die of blood loss. When he does that with a surfer, he probably decides that the taste of fiberglass, foam, wetsuit, and some blood isn't worth a return trip. Unfortunately, at that point the surfer's probably already lost the use of an arm, leg, or other body part.

Wow man! That's scary. I guess sharks can be somewhat territorial, so there might be some higher likelihood of it hunting in that break, but realistically, where you live, it can happen anywhere as I am sure you know only too well. Whatcha gonna do, take up skateboarding? :cool:

Glad I live in the MidWest, although a hunter shot and killed a four-foot alligator last weekend...........

Open Water was just on TV and I started watching it, but had to turn it off when the sharks came. Way too creepy.

Uh... don't black bears drag boyscouts out of their tents up there? Of course those are the ones who survived the previous wolf attack. ;)

Pretty much........however, as you recall, there are only TWO seasons in Wisconsin, WINTER, and ROAD CONSTRUCTION...........:D

don't all have four feet :D

I suppose..........I remember the year I lived in Port Charlotte Florida. I was casting a little spinner bait for bream when I thought I snagged a log or rock. It turned out to be a large gator, maybe 8-9 feet long...........it didn't know it was hooked, just swam away. I only had 6 pound test, so I tightened down the drag and waited for the line to break...........:D

I used to swim out real far in the gulf but now whenever I do I start hearing the theme song from Jaws .One of my biggest fears is of being eaten !

Yes, that location has a reputation. On a web site that ranked shark danger from 1-10, that site ranked 8.
Man, that's a tough choice. I guess it's livable if the alternate sites have surfing as good as that one, but otherwise after a few months I'd find myself drifting back to old habits and just making sure that I didn't have open wounds before paddling out...

One of my biggest fears is of being eaten !
I'm not afraid of dying in a shark attack, I'm afraid of surviving one.

Their have been several fake shark attack stories to create urban legends and to clear the waters.

Local surfer take a wood working pointed chisel and bang a few indentions into their spare board, the put a couple of shark teeth found in any surf shop.

I'd be very suspicious if all the witness were teen.

Sounds like something I'd do, even at my age.

As often is mentioned in these sorts of articles, the risk of being hit by lightning is much higher than getting attacked by a shark. Anyone here ever hit by lightning? I know two people who have been struck. One through his leg when mountain climbing. No long term adverse effects, just a dramatic burn scar. The other was hit on a golf course and survived but had serious heart damage.

That is crazy. I feel like I would love to learn to surf but also know I would have a creepy feeling in the back of my mind that I'd be the lucky guy to run into a shark. Obviously I don't do so well in open saltwater.

There is a town in southwest Florida known as the Shark's teeth capital because shark's teeth are often found on the beach .They also have a restaurant called Sharky's which has stuffed sharks that were caught near there .It's Venice ,Fl. not many waves for surfers so Al you are safe.

There is a town in southwest Florida known as the Shark's teeth capital because shark's teeth are often found on the beach .They also have a restaurant called Sharky's which has stuffed sharks that were caught near there .It's Venice ,Fl. not many waves for surfers so Al you are safe.

I used to live in Port Charlotte!! Venice is a happening town, but the Gulf of Mexico doesn't have big waves.........;)

As often is mentioned in these sorts of articles, the risk of being hit by lightning is much higher than getting attacked by a shark.

I question the validity of this statistic. Although I don't know for sure, I doubt that it has been adjusted for per capita exposure to either risk. If you figure how many people are in the ocean, surfers, divers, swimmers, whatever, versus how many people that experience thunderstorms, I'd think that there are billions exposed to lightening in their lifetime and, just guessing but, a million or less in the water. I don't worry about either. LA smog is a bigger threat. :p I avoid golf courses at all costs, though. ^-^

Back
Top Bottom