The Birthday Blues

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, it's that time of the year again. In a few hours, I'll be a quarter-century old. Yeah yeah yeah...half of you guys would kill to be 25 again....but for me....I'm feeling old. I'm 1/3 way through my life if I follow the statistical norm. I'm 1/2 way to 50!!! My body feels more like I'm 45....battered and bruised...exhausted...never fully healed before i abuse it again.

But on a positive note, tomorrow I should be getting a big check that will be equivalent to 25% of my net pay for the year. Then about 7 days later, I'll get a check that's10% bigger than that...and all expenses for both jobs are already paid for. So that's good

Otherwise, i'm a bit bummed

Yeah yeah yeah...half of you guys would kill to be 25 again....
I'm in that other half.....I wouldn't want to be 25 again for all the beans in chili! Not that things were bad back then, or that there were/are any bad memories from that age, quite the contrary....life was absolutely GREAT for me at 25! It's just that, well, er, uhh......why the heck would I want to go back to being 25 years old.....and have 25 years to go until retirement again!!! YUCK!!! NO WAY!!! I'll gladly stick with being 51 and FIRE'd!!! :cool:

BTW, Happy Birthday! Relish it! And just think......you only have roughly that many more years to go before you can pull the plug! (That would make a nice Hallmark greeting card wouldn't it?!) :D

I do not want to disappoint you on your birthday but there are only few 50 years olds who would kill to be 25 again.
I will be 50 in September and do not want to be 25 again - never ever. Life was good then but it is better now.

Then I had not finished my education, still had to pass all legal exams and job hunt seemed to be hard.
Today I have a (mostly) great job.

Then I was just newly married, with all the incertainties attached.
This year we are celebrating our 25th, the love is still there, more than ever as it feels, and we know that we can always rely on each other.

Then we had several years in the work force ahead.
Now we know that we could ER rather quickly if we really want.

Life is good.

Life was exciting when I was in my 20's, but there isn't anything that would make me want to go back there again. But I'm glad you think we'd all "kill" to be 25 again, hilarious...

Poor baby.

I'd love to be 25 again. That was one of the best years of my life and things got better from then on. Well, except for the bad marriage and divorce a few years later (I'd skip that part). But at 25, I had a great job that I enjoyed and was comfortable in, my first apartment with a 650 Yamaha motorcycle parked in the living room, and I'd just bought an airplane and got my private license in December of 1975.

Well, it's that time of the year again. In a few hours, I'll be a quarter-century old.
Happy Birthday!
thefed said:
Yeah yeah yeah...half of you guys would kill to be 25 again....but for me....I'm feeling old.
If I knew then what I know now, yeah, I'd love to be 25 again...otherwise no. You feel old? I could be your mom. :p
thefed said:
I'm 1/3 way through my life if I follow the statistical norm. I'm 1/2 way to 50!!! My body feels more like I'm 45....battered and bruised...exhausted...never fully healed before i abuse it again.
Keep that up and your body will never recover.
thefed said:
But on a positive note, tomorrow I should be getting a big check that will be equivalent to 25% of my net pay for the year. Then about 7 days later, I'll get a check that's10% bigger than that...and all expenses for both jobs are already paid for. So that's good
There's something else to celebrate!
thefed said:
Otherwise, i'm a bit bummed
Time waits for no one.

At 25, I was having more fun than I should have been allowed to.......:)

Ah yes, to be a "known element" again.

I liked 28-32. I knew what the heck I was doing, had my stuff together and still had the resiliency of youth.

47 is rolling around in a week and a half... :p

I hope today you are having a happy birthday celebrating with your two little ones and your significant other and looking ahead to many more happy occastions!

I need clarification on the rules of being 25 again. Do you have to give up your financial independence, and get a job again? Can you just have a 25-year-old body and live in your current situation? Is your spouse 25 also? Does the vasectomy get undone?

I'll need to know these things before I commit.

25 again? I have to say that I am happier now---25 was good but 53 is better! I would like the feeling that I had another 50 years left to live (and I had that feeling at 25)---but otherwise 53 is great.

...I'm feeling old. I'm 1/3 way through my life if I follow the statistical norm. I'm 1/2 way to 50!!! My body feels more like I'm 45....battered and bruised...exhausted...never fully healed before i abuse it again.
I'll be 50 in a couple of years, and I still feel like a 20 year old* (most days). It's a nice day here and I'll probably ride 40 or 50 miles on my bicycle this afternoon.

Take better care of yourself so you can still enjoy life when you do reach 50! ;)

* or maybe I just don't remember what being 20 was like!

I need clarification on the rules of being 25 again. Do you have to give up your financial independence, and get a job again? Can you just have a 25-year-old body and live in your current situation? Is your spouse 25 also? Does the vasectomy get undone?

I'll need to know these things before I commit.

Al, you need to post more, you always make me laugh...........:D:D:D

For me, a 25 year old body, but FIRED, now that's the ticket!! Well, as long as DW is 25 also, otherwise I'd be "cougaring"..........:cool:

To the OP, two things:
1) I turned 60 yesterday. Wanna trade?
2)Not wanting to flame you, but what the hell are you doing spending your time with a bunch of geezers online? Get out & sow them oats, raise some hell while you can.

To the OP, two things:
2)Not wanting to flame you, but what the hell are you doing spending your time with a bunch of geezers online? Get out & sow them oats, raise some hell while you can.

:D:D:D

To the OP, two things:

1) no

2) if you only about the oats i've sewn and the hell i've raised. i did enough by the time i was 21 to last us all a lifetime.

I'm in that other half.....I wouldn't want to be 25 again for all the beans in chili! Not that things were bad back then, or that there were/are any bad memories from that age, quite the contrary....life was absolutely GREAT for me at 25! It's just that, well, er, uhh......why the heck would I want to go back to being 25 years old.....and have 25 years to go until retirement again!!! YUCK!!! NO WAY!!! I'll gladly stick with being 51 and FIRE'd!!! :cool:

BTW, Happy Birthday! Relish it! And just think......you only have roughly that many more years to go before you can pull the plug! (That would make a nice Hallmark greeting card wouldn't it?!) :D

Agreed!

I'll turn 58 in a few weeks, and aside from a few more aches and pains and having to wear reading glasses, you couldn't pay me to be 25 again.

Stupid hormones and stress responses, worrying about reactions to everything I did or said...; good riddance.

I retired at 54 and some time before that I dragged my ego into the alley and stomped it flat.

The Fountain of Youth is dull as paint
Methuselah is my patron saint
I've never been so comfortable before
Oh I'm so glad that I'm not young anymore

Back
Top Bottom