Second Life Virtual Kidnapping

Billy

Full time employment: Posting here.
This Thread is more than 274 days old, you can't reply to it.

So I thought I would start a new one...
Over 274 days ago I began a thread on Second Life and virtual living. Several of us saw the plusses and minuses of it, and some mentioned possible abuse, which we also saw...

Here ya go: Woman Attempts To Kidnap Ex-Virtual Boyfriend

Oh dear...

Glad I have a First Life...

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

flipping thu the channels yesterday i stopped for a few moments on what i guess was a reality cop show. a motorcycle was speeding through town, right past a cop car which goes into pursuit mode. the biker reportedly hits speeds over 80 mph through town and ends up under an suv where his bike catches fire.

the film shows the soccer mom frantically saving her children, one by one, from the burning cars. just as soon as she & her family clear the area, the suv blows up a little. if it wasn't a reality show i would have thought it staged for tv viewing.

meanwhile, the biker had run into a nearby field but is captured by the cops. they i.d.'d him by all the scrapes on his body. the arresting officer reports what the biker supposedly said when they got him: "but it worked when i did it on video."

i'm not convinced that virtual reality so much influences behavior in "real life" as much as it might highlight the level of (un)consciousness by which some live their lives. people who say terrible things to other people online are likely just as creepy in real life. the careless just as careless and the wreckless just as wreckless. outside of a better view, what difference does it make whether we walk through life or type through it?

LGFN:
i'm not convinced that virtual reality so much influences behavior in "real life" as much as it might highlight the level of (un)consciousness by which some live their lives. people who say terrible things to other people online are likely just as creepy in real life. the careless just as careless and the wreckless just as wreckless. outside of a better view, what difference does it make whether we walk through life or type through it?

Good points, LGFN.

Objects are neutral (Money, food, computer forums, etc.). It's what we do with them that matters. We're the ones that attach meaning to them and choose to use or abuse them.

I feel sorry for people like this, who get themselves into these 'messes' - but I agree, if they hadn't chosen this way, then perhaps they would have gotten caught up in another way.

Whew.
Akaisha

Back
Top Bottom