Low cost of living town with low humidity?

I have alwys liked El Paso. The Mission trail going south and east out of El Paso is really interesting.

http://www.co.el-paso.tx.us/History/missiontrail.htm

But I am not sure I would deliberately move onto the border now. I saw a TV program a few days ago about Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. Nasty situation. US teens being recruited into Mexican drug gangs, becoming way more violent, etc. That border has never meant much, and Mexican drug gangs have become extremely rich and powerful.

Overall, I think the US population other than those who live along the border are not up to speed about the current conditions down there.

Ha

Thre are several nice towns in Southern AZ with low humidity/low costs of living. Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Green Valley, Casa Grande, etc. but there are a lot of illegal immigrants passing through. Thankfully, most of them are doing that, just passing through; there are better opportunities for employment and bigger places to get lost in further north than in small towns close to the border.

I second Ha's comments about ElPaso. Nice place to visit , but I wouldn't want to live there. Now, up the road a few miles in in Las Cruces might be another story...

Thre are several nice towns in Southern AZ with low humidity/low costs of living. Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Green Valley, Casa Grande, etc.
I was thinking the same thing. Throw in some of the mountain communities East of Phoenix like Globe/Miami. Lovely country.

rec7,
Why is low humidity your main criteria? For yourself or do you want to store equipment?

I have always lived in MO and have always disliked the humidity. I thought it would be good to live in a place with low humidity.

It's an alien culture but they appear to be friendly...

Apparently after the air force captured them they got free somehow and took refuge in walmart. LOL

Attachments

• roswell%20walmart.jpg
    roswell%20walmart.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 161
I think the extraterrestrial ones work in other parts of the country where they're less likely to be recognized.

I lived in El Paso for about 7 years, but that was 17 years ago. It was changing then, and it has changed for the worse. Crimes against property were always an issue, but little violence againce people. That is what has changed. Also, the rest of the country does not really understand what it is like to live in a border town. Listing to national debates on controlling our border is a laugh for anyone who has lived there.

Las Cruces is the better choice, and within easy reach of El Paso on your terms.

Colorado springs is pretty cheap but super conservative.

A little expensive but I am conservative. Those summers look great.

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $190,300 (it was $147,100 in 2000)
Colorado Springs $190,300
Colorado: $223,300

Be sure to spend some time in Old Town (restaurants, galleries, brew pubs), take in the view of the city from Horsetooth Reservoir, drive to Estes Park and Cheyenne (each 45 minutes away) if you have time.
thanks Jake...we'll definitely check some of those things out!

Dave

If you are poking around in that general area, go take a look at Alamosa, CO. Very cheap, pretty pleasant place, low humidity.

If you are conservative and have money to spend, you would probably like Golden, CO.

You might check out Pueblo, Colorado. Cost of living is much less than Colorado Springs or Ft. Collins. It's a bit of a blue collar town that's making a come back, so not yet your trendy place. It has a good sense of community and retains some mid-sized town charm. Nice dry climate and close to the mountains and recreation. Relative to other Colorado places, the winters are prety mild. And not quite the oppresive heat of Arizona. I was raised there and think about moving back sometimes.

The attached photo shows the location of a very low humidity and low cost area.

Attachments

• Inexpensive_housing.bmp
    547.9 KB · Views: 58
and the yard is quite sizeable - such a deal! :D

ta,
mews

Don't the poles (norht & south) have low humidity.
I would think either would have a low cost of living also - except for heating and pizza delivery.

Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

That said, I loved our 3 years in Tucson. DW, not so much.

After moving back to CO from the Midwest 4 yrs ago, I haven't experienced any crinkling or moulting, neither have any allergies appeared (and I did have minor spring allergies in the midwest). The only annoying environmental effect I've noticed is that my elbows are very dry!

Colo Springs is very pretty but they still have a Meth problem. A lot of meth labs for a town that size. Also, if you walk around downtown you will usually see some users. Not a pretty sight.

Back
Top Bottom