How many people are ignoring me?

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The ignore function is working well. I have 12 people on it and it makes reading the threads much better.

I was just curious - is there a way to find out how many people have me on their ignore list?

===
There's an idea in this question. If people knew how many people had them on their ignore list maybe they would change their posting content.

Dex, we don't release that information for public consumption. It has been discussed and there was consensus that it should remain confidential for mod and admin use only.

txs

Perhaps you could start a thread with a poll - at least then you could find out who's not ignoring you :D

Personally, I think if someone puts you on ignore you should receive a notification just so you know how things are. But that's just my opinion.

(BTW - I'm not ignoring you - I was ignoring one person for awhile, but not anymore.) (Also DW says I'm ignoring her when I'm on here)

I'm not ignoring you, you cantankerous young coot!

I have not ignored anyone, but I admit I have been tempted. Very few, though.

On the other hand, I have read an advice somewhere (a Libertarian newsletter loaned from a friend?) to do the reverse. It said to force yourself to read the obnoxious viewpoints that disgust you. It will keep your mind open, or something like that. I have forgotten all the points that were made, but I remember being impressed by the logic.

On the other hand, I have read an advice somewhere (a Libertarian newsletter loaned from a friend?) to do the reverse. It said to force yourself to read the obnoxious viewpoints that disgust you. It will keep your mind open, or something like that. I have forgotten all the points that were made, but I remember being impressed by the logic.

I'm OK with that. Look at the content of the several posts (we all have bad days/posts and sometimes we make attempts at humor that don't always go over well)
The things I don't find valuable:
Dismissive or disrespectful posts responses
The same points interjected into threads - no matter what the subject
Vacuous responses

Telly was helpful to me in this thread
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/dex-saying-thanks-and-goodbye-36496.html

I pretty much came to the conclusion that the Ignore function was a good way to cut down on the noise.

I have large lists of ignored/killfiled on many boards/forums.

It's great to 'keep your mind open', but after reading the same ignorance/drek several times, one must guard against brain apoptosis.

i don't think i would take it personally if I was on someone's Ignore list.
Vive le difference!

i do not use the Ignore function at all. i merely hit the Back button on my browser if i see something opposite my views.

"go placidly among the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence"

I don't ignore anyone. I tried it once, but then I found myself wondering what they are saying....:crazy:

Dismissive or disrespectful posts responses

I agree that the above is most bothersome to me. However, I try to be tolerant and allow a certain number of "aberrations", before I make up my mind about the person.

It's great to 'keep your mind open', but after reading the same ignorance/drek several times, one must guard against brain apoptosis.

I guess I have not hung around here long enough. So, I'll keep my mind open about the utility of the Ignore function then...

Did the above offend anyone? ;)

I agree that the above is most bothersome to me. However, I try to be tolerant and allow a certain number of "aberrations", before I make up my mind about the person.

I guess I have not hung around here long enough. So, I'll keep my mind open about the utility of the Ignore function then...

Did the above offend anyone?
;)

Did you want it to?:cool:

Just an attempt at humor, as I usually do.

By the way, I have mentioned that this is my 1st and only forum I frequent so far. And I visit more when I am in a good mood. When I feel blue, like recently (not due to the market, by the way), I do not post. So, when I come here, I am not in the mood to pick a fight.

I turned off the avatars. I found some of them to be really intimidating or annoying.

Just an attempt at humor, as I usually do.

By the way, I have mentioned that this is my 1st and only forum I frequent so far. And I visit more when I am in a good mood. When I feel blue, like recently (not due to the market, by the way), I do not post. So, when I come here, I am not in the mood to pick a fight.

I don't want to pick fights.

I do not find your posts offensive.

Post when you feel like it.

There is a general poll someone did a few months ago about the ignore feature.

Something to the effect of "how many people do you have on ignore."

It's not used as much as you might expect and the ones you think might be high on the list might be and the ones that you think might use it the most might and you could be wrong about the others.

And, it's probably reasonable to assume that anyone that replied to this thread doesn't have you on ignore ;)

Sign up for a tour of duty as a moderator and you'll find out the answer to your question (but it'll be zero then since users can't ignore a mod).

Something to the effect of "how many people do you have on ignore."
32 on my "Ignore Poster" list, which doesn't count the users who've been banned.

I find that a few posters are consistently more noise than signal or not really that interested in discussing early retirement. Others pound their one-key piano with nearly every post and don't have much to do with early retirement either. I don't mind reading dissenting opinions that are backed by mind-changing facts, but I'm not going to waste my time on someone who's more interested in being stubborn or obtuse or intolerant. And I don't appreciate one bit the way that a few have been driven away by the board's crowds, noise, and loss of focus.

I think that this board's search-engine optimization attracts far more users than it should, creates far more work than the moderators should attempt to tackle, and has created too big a crowd. I think users who would have been promptly banned a few years ago are allowed to stay here for longer than should be tolerated.

So I use the "Ignore Poster" list in an attempt to create a more enjoyable version of the way this board used to be. That's been especially useful in ignoring the entire Soapbox.

I don't want to pick fights.

I know. Not with me. Nor have I observed you with anyone else, at least since I joined.

I do not find your posts offensive.

Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if my humor would be misunderstood. My friends have told me they like my E-mail musings, and still often do not understand it, but not in a bad way. Meaning, they weren't sure if I was serious or not on a certain statement. I usually try to be sure people know my joke is a joke, but it is easy to misunderstand someone. And particularly since I have not been here long...

Post when you feel like it.

I have dropped out for a little while when I was busy (still freelancing and had to deliver), and feeling blue (again, not due to the market, nor the politics). Whenever you see me here, I am in a good mood. I do not want to bring my bad manner and ill temper to the public, even anonymously.

32 on my "Ignore Poster" list, which doesn't count the users who've been banned.

I was wondering if my 12 was a high number.
I agree with your other comments.
txs

I have three or four on ignore, and it's strictly the one-note wonders. I found that I kept clicking "view post" on anyone who managed to write something different from time to time, so that cut down on my use of the feature.

I have 3 on my ignore list (not you), 2 of them seem to have left the forum on their own.

This will be a better place once again after the elections when everyone, myself included, becomes more civil.

I'm only answering so that you know I don't have you on ignore :) -- and am glad you came back, too! Hmm, but if you have me on ignore, you won't be reading this!

I am happy that you can ignore anyone you wish. I would like the same privilege. However I have noticed that you cannot be put on ignore. Do you think you could speak to the mods, Mr. Moderator Emeritus, about restoring ignore function parity to the plebes around here?

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom