Interesting tale about the division of some found cash

I don't see why the contractor should be entitled to any of the money, since it was part of the property of the homeowner. :confused:

If she wanted to give him a reward for finding the money, fine (she offered him 10%, but he wanted 40%). Nor do I see why Dunne's descendants are entitled to any of the money.

i see both sides of this one..... imo most contractors would've pocketed and run...so without him she wouldve never known about it. on the flip, 20k extra than he planned on making is a windfall in itself...so he shouldve been content

did i miss the part in this article outlining the actual $$ amounts given to each party? (excluding of course the 60k she had 'stolen')

i see both sides of this one..... imo most contractors would've pocketed and run...

Well, I guess you should have inside knowledge here, Fed.

Thanks for the reminder that contractors are thieves. Since I have been a renter I haven't had that demonstrated to me quite so often as before.

Ha

Well, I guess you should have inside knowledge here, Fed.

Thanks for the reminder that contractors are thieves. Since I have been a renter I haven't had that demonstrated to me quite so often as before.

Ha

dont get me wrong...there are plenty of contractors out there that try to do the right thing and often go above and beyond for their customers. I've always been a believer in kharma and treat my customers as I wish to be treated.

On some of these jobs though that I go to with several contractors on-site, you'd be shocked at the things that go on. From cutting corners, to hiding damage to petty theft.

Perhaps saying 'most' contractors is misleading...and an assumption...but MANY sure fits the bill.

I read this article earlier and could not find any reference as to who got what. My interpretation was no-one got much which led me to the conclusion that the lawyers made out like bandits on this one.

I was also puzzled as to why the contractor thought he was entitled to a cent.

Wild story. My impression is that the homeowner had control of the cash after the find, and that she spent or hid most of it. Her claim that the contractor snuck back in the house and stole $60,000 of the find is pretty weak. I think the contractor looks pretty good in this article.

I think the contractor looks pretty good in this article.

I guess it depends on your view of extortion. I think the homeowner should have shot him and stuffed him back into the wall.

Ha

I don't see why the contractor should be entitled to any of the money, since it was part of the property of the homeowner. :confused:

If she wanted to give him a reward for finding the money, fine (she offered him 10%, but he wanted 40%). Nor do I see why Dunne's descendants are entitled to any of the money.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I read this story when it first came out back in December. I can't believe that the previous owner's descendants had any legal claim to the money, although I don't know what the law has to say about such things. Don't you get claim to everything on a property upon sale? Why would something stuffed into the walls not be entirely the property of the current owner?

Strange story that just illustrates once again how a large windfall of money can all too often result in a lot of heartache and trouble for the recipients (see lotteries, inheritances, sweepstakes, found money, etc.)

You usually do not get mineral rights, drilling rights (for oil or gas) and you give up lots of easements. However, I had trouble seeing how the descendants had any claim UNLESS the will mentions some such asset like "all property at (address)". I am sure some attorney could work with that. Also the sales contract may have be a "contract for deed" which, until paid off, I guess could give the descendants some claim.

IMHO the Contractor was truthful (and maybe some would say a bit "dumb"). He sure did not "know his client". The owner really should have thought that one out a little better. Appears she got "mad" at the contractor and proceeded to "cut off her nose despite her face". Funny story however and a good look at one facet of human nature; found treasure impact.

Back
Top Bottom