LBYM: Modest splurges that make you feel (sort of) rich?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Like many, we are LBOM for the sake of goals that are important to us, and we're concerned about the terrible economy. I think we all need a little splurge now and then to remind us what splurging feels like.

For example, I occasionally buy a bottle of the latest liqueur or cordial (currently waiting for Fragoli to hit the local stores), or a beautiful potted plant (even though it will never flower again after I get it home). These are $35-$40 splurges that make me feel a little bit rich. A thrifty friend sometimes parts with $40 to get her nails done with fancy painted-on designs. Not my thing -- but it makes her feel great.

What's your modest splurge? It has to be something you absolutely do not need, and it can't be something the kids had to have, or a last-minute gift you had to rush out to buy. Also, you have to get pleasure out of proportion to the cost of the splurge. Just to be arbitrary, I'm putting a $50 limit (we are, after all, talking LBYM).

Currently converting DW and my tandem to and electric assisted bicycle. This splurge is costing a pretty penny, and it is projects like this that make feel rich. Spend what ever it takes to finish because we have the money, and will make our biking more pleasurable.

Manicures, pedicures

Dinner at a favorite restaurant

New books

Fresh flowers

Such is the state of my personal economy that these items, formerly taken for granted, are now luxuries to be indulged in rarely.

Chocolate or other "decadent" food (cheese, prosciutto, etc...)

Right now I am splurging on a new "urban" vegetable garden setup (new self-watering containers, new "homemade" green house setup, etc...). Probably a few hundred bucks total but knowing I can grow some food in those uncertain times sure makes me fell rich.

I read once in a book on the Depression in the 1930's that the most common splurges were liquor/beer for men and lipstick or other small cosmetic for women.

I bought a new game for my Wii - - "Endless Ocean", that was recommended here. It simulates scuba diving and I think it is lots of fun and relaxing. $30

When we were on vacation in Missouri (I know, vacations are not LBYM :blush:), I realized that I don't own any gloves. They are not needed in New Orleans. So, I bought a nice pair of stretchy one-size-fits-all gloves at a surplus store for $1.39. I COULD have just put my hands in my coat pockets for a couple of days.

Guess that's about it for the past month. I didn't count food splurges because I don't really try to pinch pennies with groceries.

Last edited:
Seafood splurge - lobster, shrimp, scallops

MMmmm....and guilt free, too!

Seafood for me, too. I consider cosmetics a necessity so not in the "splurge" category.

Last week I bought a spring/fall coat at Macy's. It was on clearance and with my coupon it ended up being $20. :) Also got a great pair of brown leather boots, which I had wanted for months, for $34 (it was originally $180). So yeah, I've been splurgin' quite a bit!

Currently converting DW and my tandem to and electric assisted bicycle. This splurge is costing a pretty penny, and it is projects like this that make feel rich. Spend what ever it takes to finish because we have the money, and will make our biking more pleasurable.

I splurged last Spring and bought a Rans Fusion crank forward bike (corvette blue).

I also splurged in January and threw a surprise 85th birthday party for my Mom.

We've also spent $1400 per month to rent a townhouse this past year. Our house didn't sell so we are moving back (40 miles away). We were just talking about how it will feel good to move back and start saving the rent money again.

2008 was an expensive year, but worth it.

A care package from Louisiana - near Easter time it is Heavenly Hash(the ones with the almonds).

Of course this trip she bought five boxes(24 each).

heh heh heh - up here - it's a trip to Red Lobster once or twice a year.

Also, you have to get pleasure out of proportion to the cost of the splurge. Just to be arbitrary, I'm putting a $50 limit (we are, after all, talking LBYM).
I was with you until that $50 limit.

For the past eight or so years we've been planning to fix our outdoor back lanai and to even out the lava-rock steps below it. The lanai looked like it was poured by a roller-coaster designer, with odd slopes and dips in it to channel the rainwater in a manner which must have seemed like the right thing to do at the time but was just giving the rain a big puddle to grow mold. The steps were uneven and badly sloped with risers as tall as 13". Now that there's a recession, we were finally able to attract a quality concrete contractor. The old lanai was jackhammered out and the lava-rock steps have been made much more level.

Below the $50 limit? Lunch at Thai Kitchen in Waipahu. It was one of the first places we dined at when we got here 20 years ago. Over the years we've been able to watch the original owner retire, see her grandchildren grow up, and watch her neice take over the business.

$50.00 limit, you gotta be kidding, I live in a city.

Hadn’t bought an orchid since Aug. 2007; dang thing never went out of bloom, just kept putting out spikes and still has three flowers in bloom with a couple of buds left for later; will it never end? Since I didn’t hire the cleaning lady’s replacement in Dec. and made other reductions, I allowed myself $100 for the orchid show. Came in at $93.78 for five plants, a pot, admission, lunch, tips, pepsi on coffee break, and a buck for the plant hotel.

I'm off drinks of any kind until after June, so after June it will be a nice bottle of brandy.

Weekly 90 minute massage.

High end coffee and teas.

Full body massage. (Massage Envy - $50).

Get there 30 minutes early and sit and listen to music from my iPod and have a cup of herbal tea in their relaxation room, then walk next door for an ice cream before heading home. :smitten:

Nords wrote, The old lanai was jackhammered out and the lava-rock steps have been made much more level.

Nords, around here we call that a "home improvement," not a non-necessity splurge :LOL:

I knew the $50 limit would be hard...I considered making the limit $100, but decided that might be more than some can afford.

I'm saving my best shot at a splurge till the weather gets a little warmer. Maybe some nice warm and sunny April morning I'll be seen puttering in the front yard as the neighbors head off to work. I'll just smile and wave. :greetings10:

Cheap and PRICELESS. :whistle:

I read once in a book on the Depression in the 1930's that the most common splurges were liquor/beer for men and lipstick or other small cosmetic for women.
Uh ohhh...those are the items I was going to name.....just for me. :blush:

We're generally pretty LBYM, cook mostly at home, get movies from the library, modest clothing and household items. Splurge on books (especially books for kids) and also art materials for kids. Big on education and any extra class they have any interest in. I also donate materials and money to their schools, to individual teachers and to afterschool activities, including the "scholarship" programs that encourage participation from kids who might otherwise be priced out of the activities.

Back
Top Bottom