Cold Remedies

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I woke up yesterday with a bummer cold. I had a busy day scheduled that I could not blow off, so by late yesterday afternoon I was about done in.

I remembered from the trying-co-worker thread about the recluse who hid in his office eating raw garlic to cure a cold. I tried some and wow, does it burn!

Then I heated some chicken broth with a little tofu, green onions, nappa, etc, and dropped 2 big cloves of choped raw garlic on top when I served it.

It was strong, but good. But the best part is that not long after I felt quite a bit better. I repeated for my supper this evening, and I really feel stronger again.

Another thing I notice is that when I shower and wash my hair, it clears my head for at least an hour. I've noticed this before, but can't understand why.

Time to get some rest now, and maybe I will be better yet come tomorrow morning.

Ha

In my youth I did the 'rum cure'. Drink as much as you can of a bottle of rum. The next day, feel horrible. The day after, you really improve (over the previous day).

Good luck if you try it.

Ha,

Thank you for sharing your methods with us. I will use them.

I can offer what I have learned about prevention from airline stewardesses. They are in an enclosed environment all day with tons of people.

I hear from them:
1) Take vitamins
2) drink water
3) eat fruit more than other stuff
4) Never touch your face, no matter what itches.

then one older one shared what she knew. She was told that she would stay healthy the first year, then get sick. She did. (How this helps, I don't know, but it is a data point.)

Ed

Sorry you're not feeling well. :(

The moisture from the warm shower is great for opening up and moisturizing nasal passages.
To get a quick dose outside of the shower, try this: turn on the hot water in your sink, not too much or you will get splashed in the face. Take a standard size bath towel and hold a corner on the long end in each hand. Drape it over your back and head like a tent. Lower your head toward but not into the sink (careful of hot water) and breathe in for about 3 minutes. Aaaaaaaahhhhhh!
I make lots of green tea with honey in a big mug. I make sure to inhale the steam for the same effect.
For heavy congestion, I use Mucinex OTC to help clear things up.

I remember from childhood a steamer that my mother would run than had a little cup where you put Vicks Vapor Rub. I want one but I don't think they exist anymore. Probably a safety hazard.

You probably have swine flu. Do you have a strong desire to make love in the mud? (Stronger than usual, I mean.)

I find that a great help in fighting back colds is hot and sour soup. It needs to be strong, but some restaurants make it stronger than others so that is where I get it.

I have no idea why hot and sour soup works for me.

I remember from childhood a steamer that my mother would run than had a little cup where you put Vicks Vapor Rub. I want one but I don't think they exist anymore. Probably a safety hazard.
My mom didn't have a steamer, but I remember her rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub on my chest. Not sure which made me feel better...Vicks or mom. :)

Ha...I'm sorry you're sick. I'm glad you shared your remedy though. I'll throw some garlic in my chicken soup the next time I get sick. I'll smell, but at least I'll be able to smell....:flowers:

Chicken soup and hot & sour soup both help around here. At bedtime a hot toddy w/ lemon and honey is a favorite. A couple 2 or 3 taken while hot and straight off to sleep. We can usually get 4 to 6 hours of good rest with them and that is better than 8 hours of non-stop tossing and turning.

Rich_in_Tampa, MD
DEA #123456789
ER.Org Clinic - We never close.

For: BbbamI Date: 8/20/09
--------------------------------------------------------
Basil Hayden Elixir
Disp: 120cc
Sig: 30 cc p.o. QID PRN
Ref x 3
Attn: May cause drowsiness

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_Rich_in_Tampa, MDMD xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rich_in_Tampa, MD

DEA #123456789
ER.Org Clinic - We never close.

Basil Hayden Elixir
Ref x 3

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_Rich_in_Tampa, MDMD xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hmmm...some say I do my best work when I'm drowsy....:D

The check is in the mail for your services.....:cool:

I woke up yesterday with a bummer cold. I had a busy day scheduled that I could not blow off, so by late yesterday afternoon I was about done in.

I remembered from the trying-co-worker thread about the recluse who hid in his office eating raw garlic to cure a cold. I tried some and wow, does it burn!

Then I heated some chicken broth with a little tofu, green onions, nappa, etc, and dropped 2 big cloves of choped raw garlic on top when I served it.

It was strong, but good. But the best part is that not long after I felt quite a bit better. I repeated for my supper this evening, and I really feel stronger again.

Another thing I notice is that when I shower and wash my hair, it clears my head for at least an hour. I've noticed this before, but can't understand why.

Time to get some rest now, and maybe I will be better yet come tomorrow morning.

Ha

Summertime colds - ain't noting worse. Our remedy:

homemade chicken soup - with lots of veggies. Gives you lots of yummy vitamins. The tasty salty broth makes you thirsty.

hot lemonade - cut the lemons in quarters, add some raw ginger, boil, let simmer, put in large cup, add honey to taste. more yummy vitamins. The ginger sure takes the chill out of life.

note - add a shot of (name your favorite distilled beverage) helps deal with excess aches and pains...

zinc lozenges.

Hope you're feelin' better

Martha, they still sell those vaporizors w/ the vicks pot in there - usually a rite-aid type store will have them and they're pretty cheap.

Ha - korean food is really garlicy (lots of raw garlic in kim chee) and has hot soups with spice and garlic that will clear your sinuses, and everything else!

I like Vicks Vapo Rub around the nostrils and also ginger ale. At bedtime, if not using acetaminophen(Tylenol), some cognac over ice. Tylenol and alcohol do not mix...can cause liver damage even in small amounts.

Basil Hayden Elixir
Ref x 3

I can't read your handwriting.

My mom didn't have a steamer, but I remember her rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub on my chest. Not sure which made me feel better...Vicks or mom. :)

In order for this to work, you must pin an itchy, wool sock around your neck...

Back
Top Bottom