Publishers Clearing House sent me unordered item & want paid!

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone else had this happen? I did those stupid Publishers Clearance House envelopes hoping to win the big $1 Million or even $1 thousand. I did gawdknows how many of those envelopes this year, but NEVER bought anything and always made sure to put the little stamp that says not interested.
Now they have sent me something in a package that I haven't opened with an envelope that I did open--with a charge of $19.24 for whatever is in the envelope! Yes, I can send it back if I pay for the postage USPO says, because I opened the envelope which is against the rules I guess.
Anyway, has anyone else had this happen? You know when you order something from them they want your credit card number or a check right up front, so their sending me whatever and asking for payment after they sent it smells scam to me. :nonono: They must just send something out hoping suckers will pay for it. Not.
Anyone else have this experience but me:confused:?? :mad:

Ask them for proof that you ordered something that requires payment. If they can't prove it and you know you didn't order it, it's yours. If they can prove it, then (IMO) pay it or return it at your expense. (By opening the envelope, you can't just 'return to sender', which is what I think the USPS was saying here.)

Ask them for proof that you ordered something that requires payment. If they can't prove it and you know you didn't order it, it's yours. If they can prove it, then (IMO) pay it or return it at your expense. (By opening the envelope, you can't just 'return to sender', which is what I think the USPS was saying here.)

Yes, that is what I was saying, Ziggy, about the USPO. I learned a new rule I didn't know anyway.

No, it was not ordered, and thanks for the information, I will ask them for the proof, which they don't have. Whatever it is, I guess it's mine now...hee, hee, hee. But I will write and ask them for proof as you say as backup. Thanks for that information, Ziggy.

No, it did not come registered but regular mail.

This hasn't happened to anyone else? How odd....wonder what gave them the idea I wanted to buy anything from them then? And why did it come as a bill instead of the way you always pay them which is up-front:confused:? It still smells to me that they just sent this out and hope I pay for it. Their policy is you pick what you want, give them the check or credit card number, they send the item. Does this not seem strange to anyone but me that I received an item I never ordered and then asked for the money after I have it in my hands?

$19.24!!! So let em sue you. If they ever ask tell them to come and get whatever is in the package -- or better yet, just open it and if its something useful, use it.

It's not like its going to ruin your Credit... or anything.

(Of course, I am assuming that you are sure you did not inadvertently check something... Oh! Wait! So what! What I said above is my story and I'm sticking with it.)

Well, I called them and the rep. gave me a little hassle and I'm sure I'm one of hundreds of calls she takes like this; however, it ended up with her saying I could keep it or send it back as she would delete the bill this ONE time (as if I was a Publishers Clearing House hustler:rolleyes: and trying to scam them out of this fabulous item worth all that money). Gosh, if I'd known that I'd have picked something waaaaay cooler than this Windshield Wonder* that is a total rip-off for that money being two small plastic handles with some terry cloth washers covering a plastic pad...oh brother! I should have done this one better...:LOL::LOL::LOL:
They DEFINITELY put up a fight that you have to pay, tho, and insist you stuck one of their stamps on their item. And gosh! I was careful about that.:rolleyes: Like I said, I'm probably one of hundreds like she's had to deal with today.
Regardless, no more entering the Publishers Clearing House for me. I'm done now that Ed McMann is dead, anyway.:whistle:

*If the Windshield Wonder is worth $19.24 I'm the first female President of the U.S.

If you didn't order it you don't have to pay. If you want to bother calling them (you already have) tell 'em you're referring them to the postal inspectors.

They can be reached by calling the local post office and ask to be put in touch with them. The postal inspectors probably won't do much directly for you, but those are the folks who know that the law is, as opposed to the local postal clerks, who may or may not know.

The bottom line to the Publisher's Clearing House (or anyone else) is: "Show me the piece of paper with my signature on it authorizing that transaction." If they can't produce that piece of paper, you don't pay.

Yes it has happened to me before....

No, I did not pay for it...

I have removed my name from the item and put return to sender on the package... it never came back... THEY have to pay the postage if they want it back...

You can legally keep it and not pay if you want (at least that is what I have read a long time ago... not sure now)... but I have kept some items that were mailed to me which I did not order... and said "Thanks"... the only thing I got was bills for a year or more...

BTW, I have been scammed with 'free' magazines... the second year they put it on your CC... you have to call them to get it off... I can not remember giving my CC, but they did have the number...

Okay. Now that the crisis has passed you by.

You do know that your chances of "winning" is the same whether you send something back to them or not, don't you? And think about how they make a profit... I am sure it is not from the "winners."

I had Money magazine do something similar. I decided not to renew and simply tore up the several renewal notices they sent. The magazine kept coming and they switched from sending renewal notices to sending a bill. I called, they admitted to "auto-renewing" and cancelled my account. What dingbats........

Ever since Victoria's Secret charged me $5 in INTEREST for a bill one month that they said got there late, I get uptight about bills like this. I only once got a person at Victoria's Secret and she/the old battleax was downright rigid about it ("you haf to pay zeez bill"), told them I sent the bill in on time and they wouldn't take the interest charge off. And I wasn't paying it, so....

I wrote them a couple letters and still no response. Sent bills back with notes, and no response from them. So, I let it go.

It ended up being a $250 charge that they said I didn't pay as they compounded the interest that went on my credit report (!)--now remember this started with a $5 interest charge that I felt unfairly charged for--letters from collections agencies and many calls until they finally stopped after about 4-1/2 years....let me spell that out for you: Four and a Half YEARS over a $5 bill in interest only...Five Dollars. This is one company that will totally hound you no matter what they feel you own. Yup...that was fun. Not.

Needless to say, Victoria's Secret can shove it in my opinion. I hate that company with a passion. And secretly I think the lady I spoke with the one time in billing was part of the Nazi regime hiding in a cubicle somewhere in America.

I can get my underwear elsewhere....:angel:...and sexy underwear at that if I want it...so phooey on Victoria's Secret. Dey ain't the only game in town.....

And I've never ever had an experience like that with any company I've ever charged business with and I charge constantly.

:whistle: Unsolicited goods are free of charge, you owe nothing....:D
Has anyone else had this happen? I did those stupid Publishers Clearance House envelopes hoping to win the big $1 Million or even $1 thousand. I did gawdknows how many of those envelopes this year, but NEVER bought anything and always made sure to put the little stamp that says not interested.
Now they have sent me something in a package that I haven't opened with an envelope that I did open--with a charge of $19.24 for whatever is in the envelope! Yes, I can send it back if I pay for the postage USPO says, because I opened the envelope which is against the rules I guess.
Anyway, has anyone else had this happen? You know when you order something from them they want your credit card number or a check right up front, so their sending me whatever and asking for payment after they sent it smells scam to me. :nonono: They must just send something out hoping suckers will pay for it. Not.

Years back, I was re-billed for a newspaper subscription which I had never subscribed to. Then were ready to theaten collection. I eventually wrote them a letter saying, I didn't subscribe to you, in fact I'm a regular customer of your competitor (which I was).

For whatever reason, that letter worked as I never received a bill from them again.

You're lucky. I called first many, many times (probably 8-10) and only once got someone on the phone at Victoria's Secret who was absolutely no help at all. In fact, she was downright nasty! Your calls automatically go to a computer otherwise.
I wrote numerous notes with my bill when I sent it back. Nada and zip. Finally, I just said "heck with it" figuring they would just wipe it off, but no! not Victoria's Secret.
I had guys calling the house until I unplugged the phone and letters from collection agencies for almost 5 (five) years. *
To me--and, believe me, I'm your typical classic joke of a woman who loves shopping so I buy alot (hey! I figure this is my contribution to the economy and keeping the money going)--I NEVER have had an experience as bad as I have had with Victoria's Secret. Needless to say, I hate them!:mad::nonono::mad:
After the first 6 months of harassment, they would get a nickle from me when hell freezes over. Again, I hate them!:mad::nonono::mad:

* All this for a $5 interest charge that I felt was undeserved which they compounded up to $250! What would they do if I really ripped them off for product? Probably send a hit man to my house.

Needless to say, Victoria's Secret can shove it in my opinion. I hate that company with a passion. And secretly I think the lady I spoke with the one time in billing was part of the Nazi regime hiding in a cubicle somewhere in America.

Well, do what you must, but please, don't put Victoria's Secret out of business....Please..:blush::blush:

Same thing happened to me, i ended up paying $5. Shipping

[Anyone else have this experience but me:confused:?? :mad:[/QUOTE] YES, I JUST HAD TO PAY $FIVE DOLLARS TO RETURN THESE DISHCLOTHS THAT I DIDN'T ORDER, THEY SAID THAT THEY ARE SURE I DID, BUT, I CAN RETURN THEM. I'LL BE YOU THAT IF I DIDN'T PAY OR RETURN THEY WOULD HAVE ME REPORTED INTO THE CREDIT BUREAU. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY GAIN FROM THIS EXCEPT $18.OO FOR DISHCLOTHS:confused: I GUESS , IF ENOUGH PEOPLE BITE, IT COULD BE PROFITABLE, AFTER ALL, THEY NEED ALOT OF MONEY FOR ALL OF THEIR PRINTINGS, GOLD STICKERS AND ALL. THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT, JAN

When did this rule (bolded above) become effective? I recall many years ago (at least 15) I received something I did not order and there was a bill inside the envelope which was glued to the outside of the package. I did not open the package. I just wrote "Cancel" or something like that on the bill, resealed the envelope, taped the envelope back to the package, and brought it back to the post office, telling them I was not accepting it. The post office sent it back with no objection, and the company never gave me any grief about it, either.

I mean, how are we to know we don't want the item if we don't at least open the outside envelope first? :confused:

Orchidflower,

Wait until they send you another PCH Sweepstakes entry- take the postage paid return envelope and tape it to the front of the Windshield Wonder package and drop it in the mail right back to them... they will surely appreciate getting their valuable merchandise back.. :D

Have you ever received those invoices that look like something was ordered but are really applications to receive the publication?

I would guess that some businesses get confused and pay them. Otherwise, why would they waste the postage?

Back
Top Bottom