What is the best way to wire money to Peru

KB

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My son has traveled from California to Peru in the past 7 months and just ran into problems trying to get a cash advance from his Visa in Peru. I'm going to call our credit union when customer service opens this morning, but was wondering about an alternate form to get him some money to continue his trip.

I found a website listing info on wiring money from a participating post office to another in Peru. Has anyone wired money this way or is there another way, Western Union is the only way I have ever wired money.

Thanks for your help. I think he's stuck right now without money....

I just got back from Peru, and there are Western Union offices there. That's how I would send him money.

BTW, I had very good luck with the ATMs at Scotiabank branches throughout the country. They don't charge an ATM fee, either. :)

I hope your son gets through this little "episode" smoothly!

I called the USPS about wiring and there are limited participating post offices, the closest about an hour away. Though that would be an option.

I called the credit union and my son had to call, which he did. They had another level of security on his card for Peru that he wasn't aware of and they walked him through it. So, all is good now. He got his cash, repaid the hostel where he stayed and refilled his Skype account.

He did say that Western Union offices were in many of the cities he had been through, so we will consider that the best option if he ever gets stuck or loses his Visa card. He lost his ATM card (he was robbed actually) 10 days into his trip so he's been traveling on cash advances since mid December. If he had left without a backup Visa card, he probably would have been home months ago.

Thanks for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom