The Amazing Half-Full Glass

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In case you missed this morning's Scott Burns Post. He waxes philosophically on turning 70 years old.

The Amazing Half-Full Glass

For example:

If you have a problem that can be solved with money, count your blessings. Problems that can be solved with money tend to be trivial problems. They may seem big at the time, but when you look back, they were silly. The biggest problems in life are the ones that break our hearts. I have a long list. I’m sure you do too. The only thing we can be certain of is that someday we will experience one, more, or many of those problems

this morning's Scott Burns Post

Good post from one of my favorite columnists.

I really liked

How is it that those who sell financial products routinely worry us about not having enough money— but surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people? The answer is that life isn’t as money-centered for most people as the financial services industry would have us believe.

But he paints a much too rosy picture of w*rk:

Despite the national hand-wringing about the millions of people who can’t afford to retire, there is a major chance that working is a good thing. Working is connecting. Connecting is good.

It's a nice thought, but from all I've seen in my time on this Earth, the employment experience is, for most Americans, a living hell, exceeded only slightly by the hell of unemployment.

Incidentally, why do "surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people"? Because they're no longer slaves to the grind.

Perhaps waking on this side of the dirt becomes more significant than owning the right car, clothing, house, widget, tchotchke...

I could easily retire, but the thought scares me. Despite the national hand-wringing about the millions of people who can’t afford to retire, there is a major chance that working is a good thing. Working is connecting. Connecting is good. If you don’t get to Florida for a long time that’s not so bad. Odds are you’ll still spend more time retired than your parents did.
He really doesn't see his chains, does he? He sounds like he keeps working because he's scared of the alternatives and hasn't educated himself, let alone tried them out.

I wonder if he'd still work if he didn't get paid for it... or at least donated his salary to charity.

And, no, Scott, one of my parents never got to spend any time retired while the other one only enjoyed about 20 years of it before the dementia took over.

I thought we were talking about one of these.

Wireless Catalog - Half Full Drink Glass

I agree. I like a lot of what Scott Burns writes, but it's always seemed like he missed the whole point of the whole saving and investing thing. It's to give you FI and security for after you stop working.

I thought we were talking about one of these.

Wireless Catalog - Half Full Drink Glass

I agree. I like a lot of what Scott Burns writes, but it's always seemed like he missed the whole point of the whole saving and investing thing. It's to give you FI and security for after you stop working.
Do you get the feeling that he is less happy than we are?

I don't.

Good post from one of my favorite columnists.

I really liked

It's a nice thought, but from all I've seen in my time on this Earth, the employment experience is, for most Americans, a living hell, exceeded only slightly by the hell of unemployment.

Incidentally, why do "surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people"? Because they're no longer slaves to the grind.

Which is why, IMHO, the point is financial independence. I liked my job and if my boss had stayed and I didn't have a cardiac event one night I would have stayed until as I told DW, they dragged me out of there. Some people do have meaningful or enjoyable work.

I really liked the article, I will be sharing it with friends, even a local Vanguard Bogleheads meeting tomorrow.

Do you get the feeling that he is less happy than we are?

I don't.

No, actually I don't either. I think he likes what he's doing and wouldn't know what to do with himself if he quit. But he definitely comes across a lot as afraid of what would happen if he retired. If that's how he feels, that's a great reason to not retire. I know a few people who are FI but just couldn't sleep at night without the security of their job. Vive la différence.

In recent months, I thought Scott had gone off the rails. He's been very pessimistic about everything.

So, it was a pleasant surprise to read this post. Some people are just happier working - they love their work and even though they are financially independent, it works for them. Power to them! To each their own.. etc. etc.

I liked this best
Living low on the hog (2). How is it that those who sell financial products routinely worry us about not having enough money— but surveys show older people enjoy a higher degree of life satisfaction than younger people? The answer is that life isn’t as money-centered for most people as the financial services industry would have us believe.
As each day passes, I believe in the wisdom of this more & more.

Back
Top Bottom