Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Forum Admin (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/)
-   -   Forum Mobile Apps for iPhone, iPad and Android Devices! (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/forum-mobile-apps-for-iphone-ipad-and-android-devices-53996.html)

WanderALot 01-05-2011 10:03 PM

Cool! I've been using Opera to access the the forum but thus interface is much better. I believe there's another benefit to the app over using the browser; I think the data transfer is all encrypted. Can anyone confirm this? If so that's a big benefit to those who access this thru from wifi at work!

Andy R 01-06-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderALot (Post 1021160)
I think the data transfer is all encrypted. Can anyone confirm this? If so that's a big benefit to those who access this thru from wifi at work!

I don't think the data is encrypted because we don't use https but it might show up differently if someone is logging internet traffic since you are not calling pages (just data going back and forth). I am not 100% sure how this would show up but there is a chance that it's different.

vicente solano 01-07-2011 03:36 AM

My objection to this App is that the font size is too small i my Iphone4 and I canŽt find a way to make it any bigger. Is there a a way to increase the font size? Or an App that would be useful?

If not, IŽll have to stick to the conventional way to browse the Forum:frown:

fun in the sun 01-23-2011 09:51 PM

Janet H, New to the site. I can not get spell check to work, is it safe to download ispell? Not familiar with this. Thanks, fun in the sun

steelyman 02-15-2011 06:07 PM

Thanks for this great app. Please tell the developer(s) he/she/they did a beautiful job!

tmm99 02-17-2011 12:21 PM

iPad not working too well

When I access www.early-retirement.org from my iPad, I do not get the full portal screen. Everything is there except for the recent thread part. All I get is the top part (menu bar part) and the bottom part (online user listing part).

I downloaded the app (the icon shows "E-R") and this has no way to get to the recent thread listing either (or is there?)

Am I doing something wrong?

Sue J 02-17-2011 07:26 PM

On the E-R.org app the bottom toolbar has icons for Forums, Current, Messages, Logout and More.

The Current one is equivalent to the Portal which is recent threads. That's how it shows up on my iPod Touch.

TromboneAl 02-19-2011 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The app really does work well.

Here's a very minor issue. When looking at the Current threads screen, it shows the avatar for the thread starter, and the text from a recent post. As a result, it looks like the thread starter wrote the text.

For example, in this screen, I did not write the text about being burned to a crisp:

tmm99 02-19-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue J (Post 1038260)
On the E-R.org app the bottom toolbar has icons for Forums, Current, Messages, Logout and More.

The Current one is equivalent to the Portal which is recent threads. That's how it shows up on my iPod Touch.

Duh... Thank you Sue! It is not surprising that it was me, not the app...:whistling:

MissMolly 01-28-2012 03:33 PM

I have the mobile app on my iPhone, but everytime I try to use it I get Error: Permission Denied. Is there a setting I need to adjust to keep this from happening? - Thanks

W2R 01-28-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMolly (Post 1155467)
I have the mobile app on my iPhone, but everytime I try to use it I get Error: Permission Denied. Is there a setting I need to adjust to keep this from happening? - Thanks

(disclaimer: I know little to nothing about this app).

I had exactly the same problem with the app when I got my new iPad2. What fixed it for me was to use the app to log out of the forum, and then log back on.

MissMolly 01-28-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1155477)
(disclaimer: I know little to nothing about this app).

I had exactly the same problem with the app when I got my new iPad2. What fixed it for me was to use the app to log out of the forum, and then log back on.

Thanks W2R. I will give it a shot.

MissMolly 01-28-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMolly (Post 1155484)
Thanks W2R. I will give it a shot.

It worked! :dance:

Brat 01-28-2012 05:04 PM

How does one reply in a thread?

MichaelB 01-28-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brat (Post 1155503)
How does one reply in a thread?

For the iPad in the upper right corner there is a function key (an arrow?), click and a window opens with reply as an option.

arebelspy 01-28-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB
For the iPad in the upper right corner there is a function key (an arrow?), click and a window opens with reply as an option.

And to quote someone, click the little blue down arrow above the post you want to quote, under how many total posts they have.

Brat 01-28-2012 06:18 PM

Thanks

From my iPad

zedd 04-24-2012 07:39 AM

Has anyone tried this yet on a Kindle Fire?

Chuckanut 12-02-2012 05:06 PM

Just updated the ER Android app. It does not work. Everytime I attempt to start it I get an error message - "The application just crashed and a report has been sent to the developers".

Not very good.

SteveNU 12-02-2012 06:23 PM

Chuckanut

I had the same problem and ended up uninstalling and then reinstalling the app and that fixed it.