The New Apple iPhone 14

I should probably post in the BTD thread, but I just bought the 13 mini and ordered my first Apple Watch - the 8. I guess I’ll be set for awhile now. :D

We'll probably upgrade our iPhone 8s for 14s - maybe Christmas presents.

I just watched the Apple Watch Ultra intro video - interesting that it includes diving functions though I wonder about the tissue model they are using, missed deco lockout functions, etc. I'll need to research those.*

But one thing in the video literally made me lol. A new feature! Its most customizable tool! A button! :facepalm:

*OK, I did a minute of research. The dive computer function is an app from Oceanic, a legit dive computer manufacturer. But it is a paid subscription app. Ugh.

I really don’t understand why the mini’s don’t sell well. I really like the size and think the larger phones are just too large. I guess I’m an outlier. I like a phone that fits nicely in my pocket.

Makes sense, and DW feels the same way.
But you're apparently in the minority.

I just read an article that said the 12 mini was just 5-6% of iPhone 12 sales, and the 13 mini was only 3% of 13 sales. So that size just wasn't popular enough and is probably gone forever.

My aging eyes really appreciate the bigger screen and battery, and the extra couple of ounces don't bother me, so I guess I'm the target audience now.

and which method have you found better to transfer your data phone to phone: iCloud backup and restore or the newer hold one phone over the other.... etc?

Rich

and which method have you found better to transfer your data phone to phone: iCloud backup and restore or the newer hold one phone over the other.... etc?

Rich

Both methods are good. Last time I used the "hold it nearby" method and it was simple and effective.

I have a 12 mini and am looking at the 13 mini because Apple discontinued the mini. Though I’ll probably wait until I hear rumors that they are going to stop selling the 13’s. My goal is to get a new mini as late as possible so that I can hold it and have it supported as long as possible. I really don’t understand why the mini’s don’t sell well. I really like the size and think the larger phones are just too large. I guess I’m an outlier. I like a phone that fits nicely in my pocket.
Well I was one who finally moved up to the iPhone13 after many years with the smaller size - 5, then the original SE, then 8.

Ultimately I had trouble with too many apps and the smaller screen size, although later I found out some of it was the font size settings.:facepalm: I am happier with the larger screen.

Rich
I use the hold phone method that does direct phone to phone rather than restore from backup. Very slick!

BTW we don’t use iCloud for backups, we use our laptops.

I’ve used the phone to phone method and it worked just fine. For backup, I use the cloud. I like how it’s automatic. DW had a phone die on her that couldn’t be repaired and from then on, we both use automatic backup to iCloud. For the amount of storage we use (pictures), it costs us each $1/month for 50GB.

DW and I are moving to 14 Pro from 12 Pro thru TMob. They offer $500 each in trade vs Apples $430.
I used ITunes encrypted backup and restore in past migrations but will try phone to phone this time.

Didn't the camera get an upgrade as well?

I really don’t understand why the mini’s don’t sell well. I really like the size and think the larger phones are just too large. I guess I’m an outlier. I like a phone that fits nicely in my pocket.

I bought a 13 mini not long ago for the same reason as you. My first Apple product ever. Too bad the smaller size is going away. Next go around I may look into smart flip phones. But by the time I need a new phone who knows what might be available.

https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/a37406922/samsung-galaxy-z-flip3-review/

I also like the smaller form factors and am happy with the SE 2022 (3rd gen).

It does support 5G cellular but I don’t see much improvement over LTE (I use the AT&T network over Consumer Cellular - my understanding is the underlying network can make a difference).

I back up the iPhone SE and an iPod Touch to iCloud, an iPad and older iTouch to iMac. This keeps me well under Apple’s free iCloud allotment of 5GB (I’m not a heavy photo/video person).

I use the “hold next to each other” method of transferring. It works well but still takes a few days to get everything set on the new device.

This was the first terrible ordering experience I've had. We have phone through T-Mobile and basically they would give you a credit of $1000 for trading in your phone and getting a new one through them. Part of it is bill credits over 24 months.

There were 2 ways to do it. Direct through T Mobile or at Apple. I decided to do it at T Mobile because I was worried Apple would not be seamless and somehow we wouldn't get the T Mobile deal.

So at 7:00 my time I started doing this online at T Mobile for DH and I both. Trading in12 Pro Max phones for 14 Pro Max (deep purple). I got through it all with the website periodically saying it couldn't process. I finally get to the end and the order wouldn't go through. So I called T Mobile. I was told their entire ordering system was down. By now it was 7:20. She said she would call me back by 8:00 and that they were trying to fix their system. She said I could keep trying to order as eventually it would get fixed.

In the meantime I go over to Apple and try to do the order there (she had told me how to do it to get the carrier deal), but Apple said my Pin didn't work. Apparently Apple wanted a 6 digit T Mobile pin and mine was much longer. Oh - she had told me that Apple said for it to work people had to use Edge and not Chrome.

8 came and went with no call. So I called T Mobile and left a message for them to call me. Then the original person called me. (About 8:30 by now). T Mobile's system was still down. She said I could go into a store when it opened at 10. I explained that if I wanted to do that I wouldn't have gotten up at 7 to order to get delivery on the first day. She was able to reset my pin to one Apple would like. So, while talking to her I went to Apple to order.

Apple accepted the pin but said my phone number was an invalid account. Yes, the number that I was using to talk to T Mobile on. Apparently, I later found out, Apple was using T Mobile to verify numbers and T Mobile was still not functioning so lots of people got this error. She said to just go to the store at 10. At this point, I noticed Apple shipment dates had slipped to October 10.

I went to Macrumors where tons of people were complaining of all the above. Then, someone posted that Apple had given up authenticating numbers and so you could complete an order. So, I went back to Apple and was able to order both phones for an October 10-17 delivery.

Glad I got the orders done but super, super, super irritated that I got up early to do this so I could get delivery on the 16th and It will be delayed almost a month.

The iPhone 14 was announced while I was on a British Isles cruise, so I’ve only read a small amount about it. But I think I’ve convinced myself to upgrade from my XS Max. I’ll get the Pro Max. I’m ready to give 5G a try. I’ll order when I get back to the states and after I verify if I’m going to alter my low-end Verizon pre-paid cell plan in any way due to changing phones.

Glad I got the orders done but super, super, super irritated that I got up early to do this so I could get delivery on the 16th and It will be delayed almost a month.

If you’re really want a phone Friday, one option is to go to an Apple store when they open Friday morning (10 AM). They’ll have some phones in stock - though it’s not guaranteed they’ll have the exact configuration you want.

T-Mobile stores will probably have some new iPhones Friday too, though probably even less selection.

If you buy a phone Friday you can cancel your other order.

Oh - she had told me that Apple said for it to work people had to use Edge and not Chrome.

That is strange. I guess Apple really doesn't like Google.

You have my sympathies for having to go through these hassles to buy a phone. You would think high-tech companies would be ready to handle the crush they must know is going to happen.

That is strange. I guess Apple really doesn't like Google.

You have my sympathies for having to go through these hassles to buy a phone. You would think high-tech companies would be ready to handle the crush they must know is going to happen.

From what was said above, I don’t think any of the problems described arise from Apple, but rather from T-Mobile.

There were 2 ways to do it. Direct through T Mobile or at Apple. I decided to do it at T Mobile because I was worried Apple would not be seamless and somehow we wouldn't get the T Mobile deal.

FWIW, I did it directly at Apple last Friday and it was in fact seamless and I got the T-Mobile deal.

If you’re really want a phone Friday, one option is to go to an Apple store when they open Friday morning (10 AM). They’ll have some phones in stock - though it’s not guaranteed they’ll have the exact configuration you want.

T-Mobile stores will probably have some new iPhones Friday too, though probably even less selection.

If you buy a phone Friday you can cancel your other order.

I don’t think this works anymore, you have to have an appointment on opening day .

I don’t think this works anymore, you have to have an appointment on opening day .

Not sure. You can opt to pick up an ordered phone at the store instead of having it delivered to your house. Is that what you’re thinking of? Or maybe something covid related?

I know I've purchased a phone in the store on the first day not that many years ago.

That experience sounds frustrating, but on the plus side, the delivery date is probably the worst case. Unlikely you’ll get it right away, but I suspect you’ll get it sooner than the 16th.

I getting this phone this year in large part because I want the deep purple. I am not going to compromise on that or on the model. Some years I would, but not this year.

That experience sounds frustrating, but on the plus side, the delivery date is probably the worst case. Unlikely you’ll get it right away, but I suspect you’ll get it sooner than the 16th.

I am hoping that will happen. I am not counting on it though. I suspect I will get it no later than the 10th which is fine really.

I just ordered my iPhone 14 Pro Max in deep purple directly from Apple. I'll hopefully get $210 trade in for my iPhone XS Max + the purchase will put me over the usage threshold to get a $200 credit on a new credit card I signed up for a while ago. So those 2 things will take a bit out of the sticker shock.

It's my present to myself for coming home from a European cruise with Covid! I can always find some sort of justification to buy toys I don't really need.

I’ve used the phone to phone method and it worked just fine. For backup, I use the cloud. I like how it’s automatic. DW had a phone die on her that couldn’t be repaired and from then on, we both use automatic backup to iCloud. For the amount of storage we use (pictures), it costs us each $1/month for 50GB.

DH and I had been doing the same thing, paying $.99/mo each for 50GB. But I kept getting close to my limit (mostly pics and videos and backups).

I looked at what it took to upgrade my own iCloud storage and it's $2.99/mo for 200GB but it can be shared with your "family". We already have Family Sharing set up so that we can share our AppleTV+ account.

So I have upgraded my iCloud to 200GB and shared it with DH. He's no longer being charged the $.99/mo and we now have plenty of space in our shared iCloud.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom