Nickel Zinc Rechargeable Batteries

I know nothing about them, but if people are going to toss them in the garbage eventually (and some will) I prefer zinc to cadmium.

I didn't buy them as I'm in the process of converted to low discharge Nickel Metal.

I still have a couple of ni-cads (C size). I have to make a note to myself to not recharge these in my Nickel Metal only charger.

It's kind of confusing nowadays all these different rechargeable types.

i just stopped using my NI-Cads and their charger. the Nickle Metal are so much easier to deal with - 15 or 20 minute recharge time vs 12-14 hours and they can be recharged at any level of use vs having to run the NI-Cads down and then they are not working so you need another set while recharging the run down batteries. i bought the charger back in 1984 and a few sets of batteries over the years. the recharger just sits on the shelf with the 8 batteries, i really don't want to use them any more after using the Nickle Metal batteries.

Yes, I'm familiar with them.

They have a long history and were considered a prime candidate for EVs back in the 80s before Li-ion and NiMH came on the scene.

One traditional problem is that the Zn electrode doesn't cycle well although under some conditions you can get 300 cycles.

There's a company down in San Diego that is developing them. There may be a couple of other companies working on them too.

They have cost and safety advantages compared to Li-ion but the energy density is lower. In principle they should have cost and energy density advantages compared to NiMH but I don't know if these advantages have been realized at the consumer level.

I wonder how many folks don't read the specifics and say "oh..rechargables.." then pick them up and try charging these batteries in NiMH chargers, and vice versa. Some probably think...a rechargeable is a rechargeable and then start mixing them.

Energy Density

Yes, I'm familiar with them.

They have a long history and were considered a prime candidate for EVs back in the 80s before Li-ion and NiMH came on the scene.

One traditional problem is that the Zn electrode doesn't cycle well although under some conditions you can get 300 cycles.

There's a company down in San Diego that is developing them. There may be a couple of other companies working on them too.

They have cost and safety advantages compared to Li-ion but the *energy density is lower * . In principle they should have cost and energy density advantages compared to NiMH but I don't know if these advantages have been realized at the consumer level.

--- Actually, they have a 'higher energy density' than regular NiCad. About 30% more. What you referred to is called ''Volumetric energy density'' for being less. I know the 2 terms sound the same, but there's a difference. These batteries excel in high discharge rates and can take a high charging as well. They are going to get very very popular. True, they have been around a while, but there was a big technological hurdle to overcome in separating the anode/cathode properties and this has been overcome just lately. The costs on these batteries have a much better outlook. Nickel and zinc are abundant and after a little time, the price will go down alot. No doubt becoming the cheapest rechargeable to date. Europe has been using these batteries in high discharge power tools, since they had outlawed the NiCd batteries. I believe its because of the toxicity of Cadmium.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom