All Necessary Excuses in a Handy Pick-From List

pretty amusing, but I hate to say it, I fall for some of them a bit. For instance, the one about making too much in interest because then I have to pay more in taxes. Doesn't stop me from doing it, but I still bitch and moan about the taxes.;)

And in a similar vein, the one about keeping a mortgage for the writeoff. I'm in the process of paying my mortgage down, but if the rate stays low (it's adjustable) and the market suddenly crashed and the stock market went "on sale", I could see myself borrowing more to invest. It's paid off for me before.

Had to laugh at the one about not wanting to make more money because then you lose your food stamps! But I guess there could be some truth to that. I have no idea what the values are, but, say you're so close to the threshold that you get a $500/year raise, but suddenly lose $2000/year in food stamps, that could be pretty devastating to some people.

I didn't see the classic "I deserve nice things" :dead:

Had to laugh at the one about not wanting to make more money because then you lose your food stamps! But I guess there could be some truth to that. I have no idea what the values are, but, say you're so close to the threshold that you get a $500/year raise, but suddenly lose $2000/year in food stamps, that could be pretty devastating to some people.

Don't laugh, a lot of folks apparently think this way...

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-has-more-disposable-income-than-a-54056.html

I've never applied for food stamps, but I believe benefits are graduated (no cliffs) so the $500 vs $2,000 situation can't come up.

I sent this article to my DS this AM, I don't think it'll work.

I didn't see: "There are more important things than money."

"If you stop spending, you stop living."

Amethyst

The excuses I often hear are:

I could die tomorrow, so why save...
It's only $100...
Managing money stresses me out, so I'd rather have no money to manage...
The kids will take care of us...
Money is meant to be spent...
It is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven...

I thought #22 was the best :)

I'll admit to saying some of these myself, but that's because the best route is usually somewhere in the middle.

Sadly, my ex-wife's mother started taking that #22 attitude, of "The Lord will look out for me". She had something like 33 years of service in at her job as a government contractor for NASA. Not making huge money, but it was sufficient, and she had job security. Had a decent townhouse and a paid-for Buick.

Well, one day, she just up and quits her job, decided to start her own business, doing customer service training or something like that. Never really got it off the ground, but kept saying God would take care of her. Blew through her savings and retirement. Then she was about to start missing the mortgage payment, but got her father to help her out. He made one or two payments for her, but then realized he was only delaying the inevitable, so he stopped the economic outpatient care. Sure enough, she lost the house. She and my ex-wife ended up moving in with him.

I don't think it lasted long, and both of them probably got on his nerves, because they ended up in public housing. I think something major finally broke on the Buick and they didn't have the money to fix it, so they lost the car. And then, the mother got sick and died, and was only in her mid-50's.

So, I guess you could look at it, in a sad sort of way, that maybe God did look after her. He just happened to bring her home prematurely. Really quite a shame, as she was a nice lady. She had her issues, but was a good person. Shame that she just gave up though, and started thinking that "God will provide" crap. I was always tought that God helps those who help themselves...something that tended to cause clashes with the ex and me. And as far as I know, the ex is still living in public housing, herself.

Sadly, my ex-wife's mother started taking that #22 attitude, of "The Lord will look out for me". She had something like 33 years of service in at her job as a government contractor for NASA. Not making huge money, but it was sufficient, and she had job security. Had a decent townhouse and a paid-for Buick.

Well, one day, she just up and quits her job, decided to start her own business, doing customer service training or something like that. Never really got it off the ground, but kept saying God would take care of her. Blew through her savings and retirement. Then she was about to start missing the mortgage payment, but got her father to help her out. He made one or two payments for her, but then realized he was only delaying the inevitable, so he stopped the economic outpatient care. Sure enough, she lost the house. She and my ex-wife ended up moving in with him.

I don't think it lasted long, and both of them probably got on his nerves, because they ended up in public housing. I think something major finally broke on the Buick and they didn't have the money to fix it, so they lost the car. And then, the mother got sick and died, and was only in her mid-50's.

So, I guess you could look at it, in a sad sort of way, that maybe God did look after her. He just happened to bring her home prematurely. Really quite a shame, as she was a nice lady. She had her issues, but was a good person. Shame that she just gave up though, and started thinking that "God will provide" crap. I was always tought that God helps those who help themselves...something that tended to cause clashes with the ex and me. And as far as I know, the ex is still living in public housing, herself.

While I certainly believe that God helps us, sometimes I believe he helps us by giving us common sense to make wise decisions about our money, employment, etc.

Also, God taking care of us may not involve giving us a nice house, or plenty of money.

In any event, It's OK to trust God, as long as you're using the brain and common sense that he gave you. I think that's the piece that a lot of folks miss.

I have actually heard people say things on that list. :nonono:

My favorite though is the folks at w*rk who [-]were in dire need of a full scale cranial exam[/-] took both HE loans AND loans against their TSP 401(k) so Junior(ette) could go to an Ivy League school. I had to really clench my teeth listening to those ones. :whistle:

My favorite though is the folks at w*rk who [-]were in dire need of a full scale cranial exam[/-] took both HE loans AND loans against their TSP 401(k) so Junior(ette) could go to an Ivy League school. I had to really clench my teeth listening to those ones. :whistle:

Ah, yes....but the bragging rights are so sweet...........:LOL:

If anybody actually did that where I work, they would never let on.

People where I work, love to brag about Junior getting a Merit Scholarship and a sports scholarship, so his parents don't have to pay a cent toward college.

The only acceptable reasons for [admitting] taking out a loan seem to be:
1. Kitchen remodeling
2. Daughter's wedding

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom