Meetups?

inquisitive

Recycles dryer sheets
Are there any kind of early retirement meetups of this forum? Although it would go against the culture here of saving money and being frugal, there are a lot of wealthy members and I am picturing an expensive upscale party outdoors with generally well-dressed people sipping nice drinks and chatting with each other and some kind of standardized terminology (eg, a single number) that people use to talk to each other which conveys how far to early retirement each person is. Since everyone here is so knowledgeable, I imagine it would be quite an edifying experience.

I am not aware of any meetups. One of the reasons why I participate in this website's discussions is that everyone can remain anonymous, therefore can share the truth about our finances and opinions. Even if I meet others from this website one day, the meeting may take place in a cheap restaurant anyway ... :) as many here (including myself) live below our means.

Somehow, I think a group of ers would look like a skid row convention, given the general frugality and not caring over much about appearances.

Somehow, I think a group of ers would look like a skid row convention, given the general frugality and not caring over much about appearances.
I concur. I also think that most of us (being INTJ's and introverts) would be much different IRL.

On this forum, we can say (sometimes too much :facepalm: ) of what we actually think about a subject.

In an actual face to face meeting, I doubt many of us would really say what we feel (sometimes in an "in your face" way) on a lot of subjects. Sort of the "public view" I projected when I was still wor*ing and had to "play nice" :blush: ...

Wasn't there an anecdote in The Millionaire Next Door about serving expensive wine and hors d'oeuvres to a bunch of invited millionaires and having it generally ignored as they we uncomfortable with such excess?

LOL--I don't think upscale fits any of us.

Even though I'm an introvert, we throw a giant party every St. Pat's for around a 100 people with a live band and camping for a couple of days at our house. The only ER forum person who even entertained the idea of coming was Ha. But I've got high hopes for Harley and Fuego to put on their hippie and make it down here one year.

Nice drinks? <snort> More like chugging Irish car bombs!

Even though I'm an introvert, we throw a giant party every St. Pat's for around a 100 people with a live band and camping for a couple of days at our house. The only ER forum person who even entertained the idea of coming was Ha. But I've got high hopes for Harley and Fuego to put on their hippie and make it down here one year.

Where's my invite? :(

Sounds too upscale for me. Can I bring my case of miller high life lite?

To the OP, I wouldn't really feel comfortable at the type of formal event you described. Sounds like an evening event I would attend for work where I have to wear my game face and keep liquored up to keep the smile turned in the right direction. :D If shorts and flip flops were allowed, then we may be talking.

If shorts and flip flops were allowed, then we may be talking.

I think Sarah used to live next to the beach or something, so she would be good with that! ;)

Can I bring my case of miller high life lite?

Showoff, we were thinking you'd show up with Schaefer Lite. I do have a friend with a moonshine still, though.

We could always have a virtual meetup and send pictures of whatever attire we thing would be most appropriate for the party. Here's one from a past Green Party in full tacky regalia!

Attachments

• DSC01980.JPG
    DSC01980.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 24
I concur. I also think that most of us (being INTJ's and introverts) would be much different IRL.

Geez, I'm an INTJ too, was there a poll done on that?

I gotta see some more hippie outta you before then.
HFWR can maybe offer a summer camp?

I need a hip[-]pie[/-] replacement...

Wasn't there an anecdote in The Millionaire Next Door about serving expensive wine and hors d'oeuvres to a bunch of invited millionaires and having it generally ignored as they we uncomfortable with such excess?

I have no such inhibition, but, then, I'm the thousandaire next door...

Attachments

• 2010-04-11-transvestite.jpg
    2010-04-11-transvestite.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 11
From the pictures posted here, it looks to me as if the OP had it pretty well nailed.

I am picturing an expensive upscale party outdoors with generally well-dressed people sipping nice drinks and chatting with each other.

I am still waiting for the ER dating forum to be set up.

Bogleheads has an annual meeting and John Boggle has attended many times (health willing). Many members meet up as their paths cross too. I think they had some meetings here in Dallas, way back in the day.

I don't think I would get too dressed up for a forum get together, but I would brush my hair and dab on a bit of vanilla extract behind my ears...:greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom