I've zeroed in on my FIRE target year

CantThinkofAUserName

Dryer sheet wannabe
After lots of research, calculations, adjustments, running various scenarios through Firecalc, Fidelity's calculator, and my own spreadsheet, they all agree that 2015 will work. I had thought it would be sooner until I found this message board, and I applied many pieces of wisdom I found on here to my estimates and calculations.

My immediate thoughts:

* 3.5 years seems like a long time and I had hoped it would be sooner for several personal reasons as well as being sick of w*rking

* what if something happens to me or my nest egg before then

* wow, this might actually work, I'd better get ready for it

Cool that will make you 47 or 48,well done.

Given the economic situation I think it is wise for you to keep the nose to the grindstone a few more years. Having a target date is excellent, just be sure and be flexibility about it.

There is probably never a time when everything will be absolutely certain and perfect. At some point, you just have to jump. I'm going through that too.

You may find that the last year or 1.5 years or whatever will be mentally difficult in terms of the work grind. Once you are essentially "KMA", it becomes harder and harder to put up with work. At your age, you probably aren't in love with your job or you wouldn't be FIREing. Be prepared for that and look for a way to motivate yourself for the last year.

My decision to ER last year was made very quickly. After the decision I continued working from July to December. It was a little weird going to work knowing that I was about to leave. The last two months was excruciating. My wife is now looking at ERing in a couple of years. She more or less likes her work but is ready to retire. That makes working another couple of years tolerable. I don't know how anyone can set a target year 2-3 yrs down the road if they don't like the work they are doing.

I thought about part time, and I'm keeping that option in my mind if I decide I can't take any more of my current j*b. If I do part time, due to my career, it's more likely to be full time for some months followed by off for some months; less than 40 hrs/week is uncommon. I would prefer full time though, to get it done with faster.

As for liking my w*rk, I actually do enjoy the w*rk I do, just not all the non-w*rk that surrounds it. I've worked at various companies and they all have that non-w*rk stuff - office politics/etc. But I enjoy what I do on weekends way more than the w*rk I do for pay in any case.

Back
Top Bottom