Misheard Lyrics

Ha! I really like the AC/DC one:

She was a fax machine, she kept her modem clean

Some of them are just too "creative" though.

In the 60's, there was a popular tune by Gerry and the Pacemakers, which I thought contained the lyric, "So, Mary, crusty virgin..."

My late husband used to sing a version of this popular song, substituting the word "thighs" and some other choice words at the proper time. :LOL:

He probably learned that little ditty when he was in the Navy. :rolleyes:

You're just too good to be true
can't take my eyes off of you
you'd be like heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much
at long last love has arrived
and I thank God I'm alive
you're just too good to be true
can't take my eyes off of you

;)

Elderdude said:
In the 60's, there was a popular tune by Gerry and the Pacemakers, which I thought contained the lyric, "So, Mary, crusty virgin..."

That's hilarious!

One on that site was:

"Like a virgin, touched for the 31st time" ;-D

Kiss this guy is the best of all !! Jimi rules.

In some of the Lynyrd Skynryd live performances of Gimmee Three Steps on YouTube, Ronnie Van Zant can be heard saying "stick" instead of "kiss".

Here's one: Here's an example at about 2:05: Lynyrd Skynyrd-Gimme Three Steps-1977 - YouTube

Full lyrics here:
Gimme Three Steps Lyrics - Lynyrd Skynyrd

I was cutting the rug
Down at a place called The Jug
With a girl named Linda Lu
When in walked a man
With a gun in his hand
And he was looking for you know who.
He said, "Hey there fellow,
With the hair colored yellow,
Watcha tryin' to prove?
'Cause that's my woman there
And I'm a man who cares
And this might be all for you."

I was scared and fearing for my life.
I was shakin' like a leaf on a tree.
'Cause he was lean, mean,
Big and bad, Lord,
Pointin' that gun at me.
I said, "Wait a minute, mister,
I didn't even kiss her.
Don't want no trouble with you.
And I know you don't owe me
But I wish you'd let me
Ask one favor from you."

I still can't hear the supposedly correct lyrics for Put the Penny on the Desk, aka Bennie & The Jets.

Last edited:
GrayHare said:
I still can't hear the supposedly correct lyrics for Put the Penny on the Desk, aka Bennie & The Jets.

Your post prompted me to look up the lyrics and I realized I never knew what the heck that guy was singing!!! Didn't make a bit of difference though, since the song has such a fantastic beat and changes :)

I bought the Beatles "Nowhere man" when it first came out i 1966 (I was 10 going on 11 at the time). The line "isn't he a bit like you and me" I used to think was "isn't he a bitc* like you and me".

Some musician buddies used to do "Roadhouse Blues" by the Doors in a rather creative way...

"Passionate lady, passionate lady,
Give up your vows, take off your blouse.
Save our city, show your titties, right now..."

In this song, a common mis-hearing of the line "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in" was "I'm not talkin' 'bout millennium". I felt pretty stupid when I found out the actual lyrics - until I heard an interview with one of the singers discussing the widely held misunderstanding.

I'd Really Love to See You Tonight - YouTube

I won't even mention what I thought the following song was saying (lyrics version included in case you don't know what their singing.)

Blinded by the Light ~ Manfred Mann's Earth Band with lyrics - YouTube

Dear mom used to sing "special" lyrics to various "religious" songs. My favorite:

The constipated cross-eyed bear. (Wonder how many years of purgatory that was worth!)

+1 @ Hendrix.

Some of those misheard lyrics are probably made up but still funny. I remember telling my daughters that, in the song Fun Fun Fun, the Beach Boys were singing 'til daddy takes the T-Bird away and not 'til daddy takes the TV away. All of a sudden the song made more sense...

Song lyrics I have a hard time with even when I can read them along with the music are "Hard to Handle" by Black Cowes.

The funniest mis-sung lyrics are Eddie Murphey SNL doing "Buckwheat Sings".

One lyric I always hear wrong is in John Cougar Mellencamp's "Little Pink Houses".

The correct lyric is:
"And there's a woman in the kitchen cleanin' up the evenin' slop
And he looks at her and says, "Hey darlin', I can remember when
You could stop a clock."

I always hear "stop a clock" as "starve a block". My ex-wife thought that would be a slam against her cooking, but I always took it to mean that everyone on the block back in the day was jealous, and hungry for his wife.

Even to this day, knowing the correct lyrics, I hear it as "starve a block", with "starve" slurred and stretched out so it's more like "staahve"

I guess coming from the Louie, Louie generation, we were wired to mishear lyrics.

Eagles "Life in the Fast Lane"---always thought the title line in the song was: "Fighting with the Vaseline"---was singing along with the radio at work one day many years ago, and the girl who worked next to me was laughing her @ss off!

The Beatles Strawberry Fields Forever - YouTube

At the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever" by the Beatles, I used to think it said "I'm very tall" (at 4:05). But apparently it says "I'm buried Paul", although John Lennon always claimed it was "Cranberry Sauce"

Last edited:
While I never had any problem hearing the lyrics to this one and when it first came out I was about 20 and thought that Rickie Lee Jones was the coolest kitty out there, there was one piece I never figured out. I was listening to random iPod stuff over football and this song came on and I once again said, "WHAT IS P.L.P. :confused:?"

A web search came up with this answer:

It stands for “public leaning post,” old American slang used when one friend leans on another.
(I think it can also mean "personal leaning post"...)

Rule Forty Two - » In the first line of “Chuck E.’s in Love,” Rickie Lee Jones sings, “How come he don’t come and P.L.P. with me down at the meter no more?” What does “P.L.P.” mean?

So I can finally rest easy (except that I wish Michael McDonald - one cool cat for sure - was singing backup).

Rickie Lee Jones "Chuck E's in Love" - YouTube

Last edited:
Hush, hush...you're so scary.

Amie Mann. "voices carry"

One of the advantages to using Pandora is that you can see the lyrics of a song while you are listening to it.

I've been quite surprised of what a singer is actually "saying" and what I've been using to sing along to a song that I've been doing so for decades :LOL: ...

While I never had any problem hearing the lyrics to this one and when it first came out I was about 20 and thought that Rickie Lee Jones was the coolest kitty out there, there was one piece I never figured out. I was listening to random iPod stuff over football and this song came on and I once again said, "WHAT IS P.L.P. :confused:?"

A web search came up with this answer:

(I think it can also mean "personal leaning post"...)

Rule Forty Two - » In the first line of “Chuck E.’s in Love,” Rickie Lee Jones sings, “How come he don’t come and P.L.P. with me down at the meter no more?” What does “P.L.P.” mean?

So I can finally rest easy (except that I wish Michael McDonald - one cool cat for sure - was singing backup).

Rickie Lee Jones "Chuck E's in Love" - YouTube
:) Great song.

One of the advantages to using Pandora is that you can see the lyrics of a song while you are listening to it.

I've been quite surprised of what a singer is actually "saying" and what I've been using to sing along to a song that I've been doing so for decades :LOL: ...

Hey, give us some examples (we'll either get a laugh or feel better about how we've fractured lyrics on our own!)

Back
Top Bottom