Cheap computers

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Lenovo's outlet has been having some stupid sales on desktops and laptops. Last time I owned a thinkpad was before lenovo bought the brand out, so I can't vouch for the slabs, but I hear they're just okay.

Desktop wise, however, they've been unloading small form factor through large tower machines with a G620/630 or i3 processor, 4-6GB of ram, 500gb-1tb hard drives, h61 motherboards, all the usual fixings (keyboard, mouse, etc) and windows 7. I've been paying $199-250 for these as refurbs or scratch and dents, and they're indistinguishable from new.

The G620/630 are just i3's with a few things you won't miss turned off, still two good solid SandyBridge cores, just clocked a little lower than the i3.

Considering a decent box, power supply, motherboard and copy of windows will run you over $200, I think they're a steal. I've bought four including an H420 with a G630, 1tb drive, 6gb of ram and win7 for $250 that I got yesterday. The windows license is bonded to the motherboard, but the mobo will take an i3, i5 or i7. You'll probably want to upgrade the power supply if you're going to go to an i7 or put a video card in it, but I've used some $15-20 400 watt single rail supplies with very good success. You can upgrade them to 8GB of ram, a pcie x16 video card, and as mentioned, there are available cpu upgrades if you're a little handy with computers.

Their inventory control stinks, so sometimes you order one and it gets canceled because someone else checked out with it before you did, and the site gets slow when they have a sale on.

They've also had basic laptops in the $150-200 range and nice i5 ones in the ~$300-400 range. Pretty cheap, but again I haven't used one so I'd presume they're nothing super fancy.

Say so if you care, and I'll post when they have their next sale, or you can go to someplace like slickdeals and set a deal alert for 'lenovo outlet'. Seems to come up every other week or so.

Last edited:
Very interesting outlet, just make sure you get English version of Windows. I saw lots of French Win 7 laptops. Where do you get eCoupon?

I'm not sure, but I think the french versions just have some symbols on the keyboard...I think you can set the language to english with no problems. These are french CANADIAN models, not from France.

I bought a decent i3 lappy from them last week for $220+tax. Don't recall the specs, but all the basic stuff one needs for casual use. I intended to buy it for my mom, but she doesn't want it anymore, so it will probably be my new power laptop. Problem is, Lenovo has told me once that the order was delayed and once that it was cancelled. So I may or may not get a laptop... But I'll definitely check out other deals you post. A laptop for $200-225 is about what I'm looking for.

I bought a Thinkpad T410s about a year ago - the "s" model has a solid state drive that makes it very quick - I actually enjoy computing these days. Lenovo shows a refurbished T410s for a bit less than $600 (I paid ~$735 a year ago)

We have 3 Lenovo laptops in the house and have had many in the past with minimal problems - they just seem to grow old and slow and we replace them (except for one where the screen went bad).

Last edited:
Very interesting outlet, just make sure you get English version of Windows. I saw lots of French Win 7 laptops. Where do you get eCoupon?

The French version works the same, but is rude, smokes a lot, and eats too much butter...

Back
Top Bottom