Pulled the plug today...

Snow White

Dryer sheet aficionado
I gave notice at work today! :dance::dance::dance: The 26th of April will be my last day and I feel so relieved to have finally made the decision to go. I hedged my bets though as counseled to do in another post and I am going to work part-time 2 days a week as a hospice RN. It is the best of all worlds to me as I walk away from the odious managerial tasks of my current job and return to a doing a type of direct care that I love and just very part time at that.

I turned 59 last month so this isn't the earliest retirement in the world but it is early for me. DH tells me I have a bag lady and a foster child syndrome and it is hard for me to believe that I have "enough" money and love to be safe so I been saying for awhile, just one more year. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories on this forum as I have been lurking for a long time and gaining strength to act. One more dance and now I am off to gloat over my upcoming freedom! :dance:

Whoo hoo! :dance:

No ambivalence in today's post, Snow White! Congratulations on making your decision and feeling it's the right one.

Congratulations, Snow White. It sounds like a great decision.

Wow, Snow White, you didn't waste any time!

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, it's off to [-]work[/-] PLAY we go!!!!

:dance::dance::dance:

Good for you Snow White. Congratulations. I think you just accomplished the most difficult part of ER.

Congrats!
Must say you look very attractive for a 59 year old. Those dwarves must keep you looking young;)

Congratulations - It's been just over a year for me now (retired about the same age as you) and still have no regrets.

Good for you. :) I hope to follow in your footsteps next year.

Congratulations. I'd be curious how the hospice experience goes, as I may consider volunteering for hospice at some point. Just concerned that it would be depressing.

Congratulations!!!! What will you do on those days off?

Congratulations. I'd be curious how the hospice experience goes, as I may consider volunteering for hospice at some point. Just concerned that it would be depressing.

I was with my mom and another woman I knew long-term, close to death and at death.

Depressing is exactly opposite of the experience, for me.

It was a gift to me, and I hope, to them.

David...definitely consider volunteering for hospice when you can. It is hard to explain but most hospice workers don't consider the work to be depressing at all. It is SUCH a privilege to be of service to folks at the end of their lives and to support their families. It helps that what you have to give is so needed and appreciated. My mantra was always that while I couldn't walk the path for someone, I could walk along side of them and help keep the path as clear and safe as possible. The work can be emotionally draining but the same can be said of many jobs. Heck, I found it to be more depressing putting up with office politics in the management world.

David...definitely consider volunteering for hospice when you can. It is hard to explain but most hospice workers don't consider the work to be depressing at all. It is SUCH a privilege to be of service to folks at the end of their lives and to support their families. It helps that what you have to give is so needed and appreciated. My mantra was always that while I couldn't walk the path for someone, I could walk along side of them and help keep the path as clear and safe as possible. The work can be emotionally draining but the same can be said of many jobs. Heck, I found it to be more depressing putting up with office politics in the management world.

Snow White, thanks for the reply. Everybody who has worked for hospice that I have talked to say the same thing.

Congratulations Snow White! I bet it feels good to have made your decision. You can now plan some fun things for those days you have free. I'm sure your work at hospice will be rewarding and you will help many people with that final transition.

Congrats! It is great to get away from a job that is stressful and depressing.

Welcome to ER, Snow White! Hospice is a wonderful institution so you are indeed serving others in your new PT career as well!

Congratulations. I semi-retired about 3 years ago and have happily worked 1 to 2 days a week ever since then. It has worked out really well for me and it is nice to know that I can quit when I want to...

Congrats !!

Only (10) posts and you pulled the plug. Odd analogy for a hospice nurse

God Bless you for the wonderful work you do as Hospice. We had incredible nurses assisting us in my MIL & FIL passing. Just unbeleivable, gifted angels.

I hit 59, in Feb, but still gathering courage.

Last edited:
Congratulations. My friend volunteered at a hospice and finds it very rewarding. And ended up taking care of another friend's husband in one of those small world stories.

Back
Top Bottom