Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
not good! :eek:

Well looks like the media had to back off. Now they are saying he is just giving back his profits and no charges. Phil knows how to play the game!

I always thought Phil was a smart guy but I'm starting to wonder. He makes >$50M/year and he's willing to jeopardize it over a quick profit. Sounds to me like he's lucky to be walking away with only having to pay back the profit he made.

Golf Talk Tuesdays

Played Sharp Park this week for the first time. It's an Alister MacKenzie course. It's sometimes called "the poor man's Pebble Beach." While I did enjoy it quite a bit (it's visually striking with the cypress trees), I'm not sure I'd agree with that description. It's clearly a muni course, with a compact layout & scraggly bits but, the greens were in good shape and it's no pushover. I will definitely play it again.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Last edited:
I experienced something yesterday I have never witnessed before in my 40+ years of playing golf. I was about to tee off when I hear someone yell fore. So I back off and a couple of seconds later a ball dribbles up my way. The ball barely made it to the tee box but had just enough steam to knock my ball off the tee. My playing partner almost fell out of his cart laughing. I wonder what the odds are of that happening? Probably similar to winning the lottery. I would have preferred the latter.

I experienced something yesterday I have never witnessed before in my 40+ years of playing golf. I was about to tee off when I hear someone yell fore. So I back off and a couple of seconds later a ball dribbles up my way. The ball barely made it to the tee box but had just enough steam to knock my ball off the tee. My playing partner almost fell out of his cart laughing. I wonder what the odds are of that happening? Probably similar to winning the lottery. I would have preferred the latter.

Good thing you backed off...and avoided a penalty for addressing the ball and being deemed to have caused it to move. :nonono:

Good thing you backed off...and avoided a penalty for addressing the ball and being deemed to have caused it to move. :nonono:

When you're on the tee box you're not penalized for causing the ball to move (knocking it off the tee) while addressing it. Not sure what the ruling would be if while addressing your ball on the fairway or green you were hit by another players golf ball and that caused you to accidentally move your golf ball. I think that might fall under a ball moved by outside agency, replace and no penalty. Anyone know?

PGA golf now is amazing.

Used to be fun to watch Tiger close the deal. Now we've got three "tigers", Spieth, McIlroy and #1 Jason Day, that have all won the last tournament they've played in.

Should be a great season.

I know its Wednesday, but had to post about my round this weekend and yesterday....

This weekend I played a charity scramble with my BIL, nephew, and one other person I didn't know. Turn out I was the only golfer in the foursome to EVER play golf before. It was blood curdling. Had to use everyone's drive 3 times. Shot a team 91......IN A SCRAMBLE. Oh my God it was the most painful loop I ever played.

I played with my regular group yesterday. Pull out my bag and ....TADA, no putter. My nephew took it to putt on the last hole and put it in his bag, not mine. So I used my 4 hybrid all day to putt. Shot a net 63 (83 gross). Best round of the year. No 3 putts. I guess it was my reward from the golf gods for having gone through the weekend round.

Crazy game.

I know its Wednesday, but had to post about my round this weekend and yesterday....

This weekend I played a charity scramble with my BIL, nephew, and one other person I didn't know. Turn out I was the only golfer in the foursome to EVER play golf before. It was blood curdling. Had to use everyone's drive 3 times. Shot a team 91......IN A SCRAMBLE. Oh my God it was the most painful loop I ever played.

Crazy game.

Lol. I can't imagine playing with 3 guys who had never played before. That would be painful. I played last Friday in a 4 person scramble sponsored by a couple of local churches. Our group shot 62 and placed third. Won a case of Yuengling beer. My kind of church tournament. :LOL:

Lol. I can't imagine playing with 3 guys who had never played before. That would be painful. I played last Friday in a 4 person scramble sponsored by a couple of local churches. Our group shot 62 and placed third. Won a case of Yuengling beer. My kind of church tournament. :LOL:

walked/carried on a public course Sunday with my boss, shot 4 over on the front (should have been 0 over but I missed 5 birdie putts) then puked over my eagle attempt on 9 (hey, it was hot) - hopped in a cart on the back shot 9 over :(

yeah I can't imagine playing with 3 people who's drives you had to use - brutal - shoulda just had them putt their tee shots :cool:

Today was my annual day to walk 54 holes of golf. I started this on my 54th birthday just because I could.

I was the first off on the course at 7:30, played alone and shot 82 from the regular men's tees with 4 donations to the water gods. Met my regular group at 10:00 and played the tips - shot 82. One of my buddies and I then did a last loop with our hickory clubs from the senior tees. Shot an 84.

I figure that when I reach the point that I no longer look forward to doing this is the day that I will officially considered myself old.

I had one of my best scores ever on my home course on Tuesday. One of those days where many things seemed to be working.

Missed a couple putts that I should have made and arguably made a few I should have missed. Best one was about 30' from the fringe, a 5' left to right downhill sweeper that hit the pin dead center for a birdie. And the whipped cream was that our competitor missed a 10' birdie putt so we won the hole in our 6/6/6 match!

Playing again tomorrow and I fully expect that I'll probably not be able to do anything right since I had such a good day on Tuesday.

Playing again tomorrow and I fully expect that I'll probably not be able to do anything right since I had such a good day on Tuesday.

That's the kind of positive attitude that generates confidence on the first tee!:angel:

Congrats on the great round.

When you're on the tee box you're not penalized for causing the ball to move (knocking it off the tee) while addressing it. Not sure what the ruling would be if while addressing your ball on the fairway or green you were hit by another players golf ball and that caused you to accidentally move your golf ball. I think that might fall under a ball moved by outside agency, replace and no penalty. Anyone know?

Rule 18-5. A ball at rest moved by another ball must be replaced, no penalty.

A number of years ago I was playing an uphill par 5. My playing partner had hit his second shot and his ball was sitting in the middle of the fairway on this long uphill approach about 100 yards from the green. I hit my second shot with a fairway wood and my shot hits his ball on the fly! Never before and never since.

Played twice last week & had 'mirror image' rounds: good front/bad back, then bad front/good back.

HI has gone up a bit lately. It's like my lessons had a short half life. :(

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Inconsistency...Grrrr!

Played two different courses this past week; Earl Fry in Alameda, CA & Hiddenbrooke in Vallejo, CA. Both were enjoyable rounds but, the inconsistency btwn the two is very frustrating. The first round, I hit 10 fairways, had 31 putts, one 3-putt, and no pentaly strokes. The second round, the very next day, I hit 5 fairways, had five 3-putts, and lost three balls.

I don't think I'm going to invite that second guy again. :trash:

Oh, heck.... I can be that inconsistent just between the front and the back. Both my rounds last week I was 5 strokes better on the back than on the front and only lost one ball between the two rounds.

The only thing consistent about my game is my inconsistency. I can shoot a 50 on the front and a 40 on the back and not really feel like I am doing anything differently. Golf acronym, Go Out Laugh Frequently.

Last edited:
The only thing consistent about my game is my inconsistency. I can shoot a 50 on the front and a 40 on the back and not really feel like I am doing anything differently. Golf acronym, Go Out Laugh Frequently.

That's the most important thing I learned from my golf lessons. The fundamental flaws in my swing produce inconsistent results. Accepting that reduces stress significantly :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

That's the most important thing I learned from my golf lessons. The fundamental flaws in my swing produce inconsistent results. Accepting that reduces stress significantly :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

tempo tempo tempo

On a somewhat separate subject, I'm looking into buying a battery powered push cart. I like to walk but our course is very hilly and it would make walking easier. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom