Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually had an eagle Monday, 500 yard par 5 driver, 3h made 4 footer

rare bird that eagle...

finished in true hitter fashion going bogey, bogey, triple for a smooth 44

Sounds like me the other day playing my home course with DW or the first time this season... started out par, birdie, birdie... then bogey, triple, quad, double... then bogey and a par to finish.... for a 44. Ugh!

The Masters ticket lottery is now open, get your request in for 2019 practice and tournament round tickets! I'm at least 0-10 over the years, likely will get the donut again next year but put my request in anyway.

Patron Info - 2018 Masters Tournament

I applied for two tickets each day for Thurs-Sunday but am prepared to be disappointed yet again.

I’ve had two practice sessions on my own & played one round using AimPoint. I am getting used to the system, although I’m still very much a beginner @ it. For me, the biggest challenge (skill to learn) is to accurately feel the slope with my feet. So far, I’m a believer; I holed a few putts yesterday that I’d have misread were it not for AimPoint.

Please keep us informed on your progress with AimPoint.

I applied for two tickets each day for Thurs-Sunday but am prepared to be disappointed yet again.

I did the same. I've been to several practice rounds but never the real deal. Would like to do that once. But know the odds are stacked against it......

Please keep us informed on your progress with AimPoint.

+1. I am curious too.

My conclusions so far (note that this is based on only one lesson & 6+/- rounds using it):
  • The system does work
  • The key is calibrating your feet (learning to feel 1*, 2*, 3*, etc.)
  • My misreads tend to be over reading break
  • I purchased an iPhone app (Clinometer) to help calibrate my feet
  • It doesn’t slow play if you’re conscientious
  • You can get some info on YouTube but, it’s limited (by design I think)
  • I will keep using it for the near term
  • I am considering using more Pro lessons on AimPoint or, taking an AimPoint clinic

Last edited:
My problem with putting is simply getting lined up over a putt. I think I'm aimed correctly but tend to line up a little right of target and then pull the putt to the hole. At least that is what I'm told and seems to be the case. Any you guys have this problem? Here is one video that I've looked at that has helped a little.

I used to occasionally have a similar issue. What I do now is if I miss to the same side more than twice, I take more time... I line up markings on a ball with my intended line, then, ignoring the line on the ball line up for my putt, and then look down at the ball to see if the markings are still aligned... if so, then I hit the putt.

Recently, I have a habit of looking at the hole rather than the ball for putts of 12' or less and that seems to work pretty well.

Can you give us the Reader's Digest version of what AimPoint is?

Sure. The best very high level summary is from the AimPoint website (below). You can also find YouTube videos to give you a bit more info & some demos. In context, AimPoint is focused on finding the correct line.

Hopefully, this puts the comments from my earlier post into context.

Edit to Add:
Step #1: Stand straddling your putting line to feel the amount of side slope (what causes putts to turn) with your feet (i.e.: 1 degree, 2 degrees, etc.). Do this typically in three locations - over your ball, midway to hole & over hole. Average your three readings.
Step #2: Using dominant eye & corresponding hand (right for me), hold arm ~3/4 extended, holding up the number of fingers that correspond to the degrees of side slope (1,2, 3, etc.). That’s your AimPoint.
Step #3: Align your putt to that AimPoint & putt.
PS: don’t fall in love with the line & forget to hit the putt. ☹️

Attachments

• 3CA37D32-5E25-4EFC-BFAD-E0D970D4BE25.jpg
    3CA37D32-5E25-4EFC-BFAD-E0D970D4BE25.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I've used one of the Sklz putting mirrors that our club pro has and lends out and found it helpful with putting alignment. Especially helpful with getting your eyes properly aligned and making sure your putter head is square to the target. The video below explains it pretty good.

What is your favorite golf glove? I like the Bionic Stablegrip. Tried a few others and they are fine, FootJoy, Titleist. I like the Bionic for more padding.

I use the HJ Half Finger glove with a open cloth mesh in the back of the hand. Great for Florida heat and humidity. I keep it on the whole round because I don’t like taking it off for putting. Prior to finding this glove, I was buying 3 packs (forgot the brand) from Costco.

For those of you who are trying for Masters tickets, is there any downside to trying for 4 tickets? If you are selected and don't need all 4, are you obligated to paying for 4?

For those of you who are trying for Masters tickets, is there any downside to trying for 4 tickets? If you are selected and don't need all 4, are you obligated to paying for 4?

I've never heard of anyone winning more than one day of tickets. If you did win multiple days, they would be easy to sell.

What is your favorite golf glove? I like the Bionic Stablegrip. Tried a few others and they are fine, FootJoy, Titleist. I like the Bionic for more padding.

IMO it would be hard to find a better deal than the 4 pack of Callaway leather gloves that Costco sells for $25. Nice and soft and seem to last a long time.

I can't answer this directly, but I do have a recommendation. Get as many as you can get if selected. I was selected this year and got 4 tickets for like a Tuesday practice round I think. I wasn't going to take the time off work for that (I've been to the Masters before) and sold them on StubHub for $550 A PIECE!

Got a few holes and practice in early this morning. My dog enjoys riding in the cart too. The course will be closed at noon for a golf event so wanted to get a little practice in. Suppose to be a wet one all the way through the holiday so no more golf for several days. Great living on the golf course and being able to jump in the cart to play a few. The number 3 tee box is only 75 yards from my backyard.

Got a few holes and practice in early this morning. My dog enjoys riding in the cart too. The course will be closed at noon for a golf event so wanted to get a little practice in. Suppose to be a wet one all the way through the holiday so no more golf for several days. Great living on the golf course and being able to jump in the cart to play a few. The number 3 tee box is only 75 yards from my backyard.

I envy you. I was able to do this 10 yrs ago while living next to a golf course back east, and I really do miss the quick, direct access.

I envy you. I was able to do this 10 yrs ago while living next to a golf course back east, and I really do miss the quick, direct access.

it is nice - one of my buddies called last night at 730 pm for an "emergency nine" which we finished by dark

Going through a major swing change, and it's painful WRT scoring, two weeks in so far. I am convinced it will be best in the long run, so I am sticking with it even though it seems VERY unnatural after decades of 'doing it wrong,' Kinda embarrassing in league play, like this morning, but I guess it'll make me some money with an inflated handicap for a while (not much $ involved fortunately). I wish I could blame sandbagging, but I honestly can't :blush:

Patience...

I'm gonna brag a bit :) I played yesterday...2nd game following a block of lessons.

Prior to the lessons my average drive was about 220. Yesterday, I hit a drive 270 right down the middle...the longest drive in my life that didn't bounce off an asphalt cart path. :biggrin: Unfortunately, I hit past the group in front (I yelled fore) and made sure to apologize when we caught up to them.

3 other drives were 250+ and I was able to enjoy approaching the greens with 3 less clubs than normal. There's a huge difference hitting an 8-iron instead of a 5-iron. :)

Of course, to balance that out there were a few chunks and skulls, but overall I feel that I'm on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom