Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... that is a huge difference... what changes did you make?

I was taking it back like a baseball swing and coming over the top. The instructor was able to get me on a correct swing path.

To be fair, the 270 drive was the result of over swinging but being lucky enough to keep it on path. Most of the good swings are going a little over 250.

I was taking it back like a baseball swing and coming over the top. The instructor was able to get me on a correct swing path.

To be fair, the 270 drive was the result of over swinging but being lucky enough to keep it on path. Most of the good swings are going a little over 250.

were you not turning your shoulders?

I've found that causes problems if I don't take a full turn.

regardless, good job!

I hit one about 300 last night on our longest par 5 - 550 from the blues. Of course I proceeded to top my 1H and barely pared it. :eek:

For all Northern CA golfers, I played Eagle Vines near Napa yesterday and would definitely play it again. Golf Moose has vouchers for $99 for two players

were you not turning your shoulders?

I've found that causes problems if I don't take a full turn.

regardless, good job!

I hit one about 300 last night on our longest par 5 - 550 from the blues. Of course I proceeded to top my 1H and barely pared it. :eek:

I was turning my shoulders...I just had a very poor swing path. In fact, I'm now swinging slower than before (86-88 vs 92-94).

I'd like to hit it 300...maybe some day. But, realistically, after years of hitting only 220 an extra 30 or so yards is game changing and if I don't get any more length I can live with that.

I'd love to hit it 250 every time. I just caught one good when I hit the 300 yesterday.

I'd love to hit it 250 every time. I just caught one good when I hit the 300 yesterday.

Years ago I played a few rounds with a former co-worker who used to enter long drive contests. I remember one par 5...540 yards. He hit driver, 8-iron and I hit driver, 3-wood, 6-iron :LOL:

I was turning my shoulders...I just had a very poor swing path. In fact, I'm now swinging slower than before (86-88 vs 92-94).

I'd like to hit it 300...maybe some day. But, realistically, after years of hitting only 220 an extra 30 or so yards is game changing and if I don't get any more length I can live with that.

250 yds @ 88 mph is very efficient! I’d have no complaints at all about that.

Attachments

• 70EC5AA3-9E3E-4CFE-A238-AA5598882896.jpeg
    70EC5AA3-9E3E-4CFE-A238-AA5598882896.jpeg
    633.1 KB · Views: 15
Years ago I played a few rounds with a former co-worker who used to enter long drive contests. I remember one par 5...540 yards. He hit driver, 8-iron and I hit driver, 3-wood, 6-iron :LOL:

I remember hitting similar clubs on par 5's in the past. Better equipment has certainly helped. I'm hitting my driver further than I did 20 years ago. I have never been a 300 yard driver, not unless I had a strong wind behind me and hit a sprinkler head. Today I drive the ball a good 20 yards further than in my younger days. That is not the case with my irons tho. If not for stronger lofts on today's irons, I would be down a several yards per club. In reality, irons should have degrees stamped on the bottom of the club instead of a club number.

250 yds @ 88 mph is very efficient! I’d have no complaints at all about that.

My instructor said my swing was efficient based on the simulator. The 250 drives are on dry fairways, so there's some extra roll.

My PW goes 125 and 7-iron 160, and according to that chart I'm a little under 100 mph if I assume a small amount of roll. Or, perhaps my clubs have strong lofts?

My PW goes 125 and 7-iron 160, and according to that chart I'm a little under 100 mph if I assume a small amount of roll. Or, perhaps my clubs have strong lofts?

It's unfortunate that the manufacturers don't work on a common standard when it comes to iron lofts, it's hard to do any type of comparison. A 7 iron today might be the same loft of a 5 iron 10-15 years ago and one manufacturers 7 iron may not be the same loft as what others use. I was looking at new irons and comparing Titleist AP1 and AP2 irons and they don't even use the same lofts within their own brand. It's a game the manufacturers play so they can say their new irons are longer.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that the manufacturers don't work on a common standard when it comes to iron lofts. A 7 iron today might be the same loft of a 5 iron 10-15 years ago and one manufacturers 7 iron may not be the same loft as what others use. I was looking at new irons and comparing Titleist AP1 and AP2 irons and they don't even use the same lofts within their own brand. It's a game the manufacturers play so they can say their new irons are longer.
+1. I wish they’d kept iron lofts standard too, but I’ve been in too many pointless “debates” on golf forums, a common discussion topic. Lots of people have accepted the kool-aid (lower CG, higher launch, had to reduce lofts - some truth but more BS), strokes the ego for some which sells golf clubs...

It's unfortunate that the manufacturers don't work on a common standard when it comes to iron lofts, it's hard to do any type of comparison. A 7 iron today might be the same loft of a 5 iron 10-15 years ago and one manufacturers 7 iron may not be the same loft as what others use. I was looking at new irons and comparing Titleist AP1 and AP2 irons and they don't even use the same lofts within their own brand. It's a game the manufacturers play so they can say their new irons are longer.

In addition to stronger lofts, a lot of brands have 1/4 in longer shafts too.

My conclusions so far (note that this is based on only one lesson & 6+/- rounds using it):
  • The system does work
  • The key is calibrating your feet (learning to feel 1*, 2*, 3*, etc.)
  • My misreads tend to be over reading break
  • I purchased an iPhone app (Clinometer) to help calibrate my feet
  • It doesn’t slow play if you’re conscientious
  • You can get some info on YouTube but, it’s limited (by design I think)
  • I will keep using it for the near term
  • I am considering using more Pro lessons on AimPoint or, taking an AimPoint clinic

AimPoint Update:

Just played a course I haven’t played in 1.5 yrs; nice course (when we’re not in a drought...they have to buy their water), just haven’t been there in a while. Took me a couple of holes to get used to the greens but, steady improvement thereafter. AimPoint worked especially well on longer big curling putts that I’d have under read using my eyes.

• 31 total putts
  • 14 putts on the back (4 one putts)
  • 4 additional lip-outs or <6” miss
  • Greens true but a bit slow (9.5+/-)
  • Used Clinometer on a couple of holes to check feet & was close

I was looking at my clubs today and wondering how much I should budget for new clubs in the future. I bought the set about 5 years ago but they still seem to be very good (better than me). They are Ping G25's (the irons). I'm not worried about the driver because of course I'm going to by a new one frequently in the hope that some day they'll make a driver I can hit straight 300 yards. But back to the irons. How often do you think a set should last? What are some of the things that lead you to look at replacing irons. It wood be nice to think they can just be regripped and used for another 10 years but I'd like to hear from some experienced golfers. FWIW, I golf a couple times a week for about 6-7 months of the year. Less per week in the spring and fall. So, maybe 50 to 75 rounds a year.

I was looking at my clubs today and wondering how much I should budget for new clubs in the future. I bought the set about 5 years ago but they still seem to be very good (better than me). They are Ping G25's (the irons). I'm not worried about the driver because of course I'm going to by a new one frequently in the hope that some day they'll make a driver I can hit straight 300 yards. But back to the irons. How often do you think a set should last? What are some of the things that lead you to look at replacing irons. It wood be nice to think they can just be regripped and used for another 10 years but I'd like to hear from some experienced golfers. FWIW, I golf a couple times a week for about 6-7 months of the year. Less per week in the spring and fall. So, maybe 50 to 75 rounds a year.

I replace my irons about every three years. I don't think dramatic changes in technology occur any more frequently than that. Only other reason to replace is if the grooves are totally shot, which I would be surprised playing 75 rounds per year, or if they are really dinged up!

Recently bought some Ping G700's and they were about $1000 for 5-Gap Wedge with graphite shafts. Two sand wedges (60 and 54 degree) were another $225.

I play about 150 rounds a year.

I play about the same amount as you and usually will buy new irons every five or six years or so. I am a big fan of re-gripping if not every year, every other year. Again, groove wear should be the driving factor for when you are due for new sticks. I'm 67 and playing Callaway Apex irons that I bought last year and really like them. Paid around $800 for 5-PW, steel shafts, reg. flex.

I'm curious what the walkers do when they are with a golf buddy who prefers a cart. Do you walk and let them ride alone, or do you ride with them?

My long time golf buddy (30+ rounds a year for the last 20 years) has recently been wanting to ride most of the rounds we play...he's put on a few pounds and quite often runs out of gas halfway through the back 9. I prefer to walk almost every round, with a few exceptions made for very hot days or of course in tournaments where carts are part of the entry fee.

We're playing tomorrow and riding, however, the course has a cart special which is just $5 more per round so it's not big deal. That being said, even paying full cart price isn't a deal breaker financially, it's the fact that I prefer to walk both to keep loose and to get the exercise, so losing those two benefits bugs me. Paying extra for it is just the icing on the cake... :LOL:

Maybe I'm overthinking this...is this even an issue for people?

I frequently split the difference... I make sure that I am the passenger and after I hit my approach I grab a putter (or a sand wedge or a chipper and a putter) and tell my driver.... "I'm all set" and start walking. According to my vivofit, I usually clock 3-4 miles even when I ride... perhaps more if I walk in a lot.

I've never had this issue, but I would put my clubs on the cart and walk. The driver could stay close by or get a jump on looking for the ball or whatever necessary. I golf with a guy who tends to grab a wedge and his putter once he's near the green and walk up from there. Said another way, he tends to walk in from about 150. So, if money isn't he issue, just walk and let your friend ride. You won't talk any less (or more) :)

As far as replacing irons I think the wedges should probably be the first ones to get swapped out. They tend to get used the most and under conditions (sand traps, etc) that will wear the grooves out fairly quickly. And those are the clubs that you want to have nice grooves to better control the ball around the green. A bit extreme but recall reading an article where they said Vijay Singh replaced the heads on his wedges every couple of weeks. There are groove sharpening tools out there that I've used that help but still not as good as a new wedge.

I play in different regular groups during the week, some walk, some ride, some walk 9 and ride 9. No big deal.

Last edited:
I replace my irons about every three years. I don't think dramatic changes in technology occur any more frequently than that. Only other reason to replace is if the grooves are totally shot, which I would be surprised playing 75 rounds per year, or if they are really dinged up!

Recently bought some Ping G700's and they were about $1000 for 5-Gap Wedge with graphite shafts. Two sand wedges (60 and 54 degree) were another $225.

I play about 150 rounds a year.

I bought a set of Ping G irons earlier this year when they went on sale. Got 6-pw and a i200 gap wedge. All with *** graphite shafts. And use a Glide 56* sw. I switched to hybrids for my longer irons. I'm a geezer so might as well play like one.

I play closer to 100 rounds a year. But get in lots of 4-5 holes a day just for quick practice sessions.

Edit: not sure why I got *** on my post. All I typed was ***. Which is the brand. Oh well....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom