Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2015-2020-a-78866.html)

Big_Hitter 05-09-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcretire77 (Post 2047105)
Big_H, Congrats on the Eagle!! I played the front nine Monday, 39. Played the back nine this morning, 37. Too bad I can't play that well 18 holes in one day! 37 was my best nine ever.

wow that's a combined 76 - nice!

jcretire77 05-09-2018 12:55 PM

Versus the 89 at Shadow Valley on Sunday. That's more like it :)

Huston55 05-14-2018 10:58 PM

Kiawah

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished our annual golf trip to Kiawah Island, SC. It was another glorious tripó-fantastic weather, 5/6 rounds in four days, lots of poker & stories @ night, and watching The Players when we were just laying around the house. We played The Ocean Course, Osprey Point, Turtle Point & Cougar Point. We are not big fans of the fifth resort course (Oak Point) so, we didnít play it. All the courses have now been refurbished and have salt resistant paspalum on them; theyíre all in fantastic shape. I would highly recommend Kiawah as a destination to consider for those golfers who regularly take group golf trips. This year was our 15th and, based on the feedback from the guys, we plan to return again next year. ⛳️🏌️

zinger1457 05-15-2018 02:38 PM

The Masters ticket lottery is now open, get your request in for 2019 practice and tournament round tickets! I'm at least 0-10 over the years, likely will get the donut again next year but put my request in anyway.

Patron Info - 2018 Masters Tournament

Midpack 05-15-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2049162)
The Masters ticket lottery is now open, get your request in for 2019 practice and tournament round tickets! I'm at least 0-10 over the years, likely will get the donut again next year but put my request in anyway.

Thanks for the heads up! I applied for Fri & Sat, but I won’t get my hopes up. Having a Corp in was a perk I don’t have anymore, but at least I got to attend once. Everyone who loves golf should attend in person at least once IMO.

pb4uski 05-15-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Hitter (Post 2047066)
actually had an eagle Monday, 500 yard par 5 driver, 3h made 4 footer

rare bird that eagle...

finished in true hitter fashion going bogey, bogey, triple for a smooth 44

Sounds like me the other day playing my home course with DW or the first time this season... started out par, birdie, birdie... then bogey, triple, quad, double... then bogey and a par to finish.... for a 44. Ugh!

pb4uski 05-15-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2049162)

I applied for two tickets each day for Thurs-Sunday but am prepared to be disappointed yet again.

nubill 05-19-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2047063)
Iíve had two practice sessions on my own & played one round using AimPoint. I am getting used to the system, although Iím still very much a beginner @ it. For me, the biggest challenge (skill to learn) is to accurately feel the slope with my feet. So far, Iím a believer; I holed a few putts yesterday that Iíd have misread were it not for AimPoint.

Please keep us informed on your progress with AimPoint.

Dawg52 05-19-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2049242)
I applied for two tickets each day for Thurs-Sunday but am prepared to be disappointed yet again.

I did the same. I've been to several practice rounds but never the real deal. Would like to do that once. But know the odds are stacked against it......

Midpack 05-19-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubill (Post 2050788)

+1. I am curious too.

Huston55 05-19-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubill (Post 2050788)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2050801)
+1. I am curious too.

My conclusions so far (note that this is based on only one lesson & 6+/- rounds using it):
  • The system does work
  • The key is calibrating your feet (learning to feel 1*, 2*, 3*, etc.)
  • My misreads tend to be over reading break
  • I purchased an iPhone app (Clinometer) to help calibrate my feet
  • It doesn’t slow play if you’re conscientious
  • You can get some info on YouTube but, it’s limited (by design I think)
  • I will keep using it for the near term
  • I am considering using more Pro lessons on AimPoint or, taking an AimPoint clinic

pb4uski 05-19-2018 10:47 AM

Can you give us the Reader's Digest version of what AimPoint is?

Dawg52 05-19-2018 10:56 AM

My problem with putting is simply getting lined up over a putt. I think I'm aimed correctly but tend to line up a little right of target and then pull the putt to the hole. At least that is what I'm told and seems to be the case. Any you guys have this problem? Here is one video that I've looked at that has helped a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SWCBkVY_hU

pb4uski 05-19-2018 11:52 AM

I used to occasionally have a similar issue. What I do now is if I miss to the same side more than twice, I take more time... I line up markings on a ball with my intended line, then, ignoring the line on the ball line up for my putt, and then look down at the ball to see if the markings are still aligned... if so, then I hit the putt.

Recently, I have a habit of looking at the hole rather than the ball for putts of 12' or less and that seems to work pretty well.

Huston55 05-19-2018 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2050825)
Can you give us the Reader's Digest version of what AimPoint is?

Sure. The best very high level summary is from the AimPoint website (below). You can also find YouTube videos to give you a bit more info & some demos. In context, AimPoint is focused on finding the correct line.

Hopefully, this puts the comments from my earlier post into context.

Edit to Add:
Step #1: Stand straddling your putting line to feel the amount of side slope (what causes putts to turn) with your feet (i.e.: 1 degree, 2 degrees, etc.). Do this typically in three locations - over your ball, midway to hole & over hole. Average your three readings.
Step #2: Using dominant eye & corresponding hand (right for me), hold arm ~3/4 extended, holding up the number of fingers that correspond to the degrees of side slope (1,2, 3, etc.). That’s your AimPoint.
Step #3: Align your putt to that AimPoint & putt.
PS: don’t fall in love with the line & forget to hit the putt. ☹️

zinger1457 05-19-2018 09:24 PM

I've used one of the Sklz putting mirrors that our club pro has and lends out and found it helpful with putting alignment. Especially helpful with getting your eyes properly aligned and making sure your putter head is square to the target. The video below explains it pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv5LLxXdX-0

jcretire77 05-20-2018 10:14 AM

What is your favorite golf glove? I like the Bionic Stablegrip. Tried a few others and they are fine, FootJoy, Titleist. I like the Bionic for more padding.

golfnut 05-20-2018 10:53 AM

These from MG Golf. As good as any cabretta and inexpensive to boot.

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-gloves/#D54

nubill 05-20-2018 04:36 PM

I use the HJ Half Finger glove with a open cloth mesh in the back of the hand. Great for Florida heat and humidity. I keep it on the whole round because I donít like taking it off for putting. Prior to finding this glove, I was buying 3 packs (forgot the brand) from Costco.

LauAnn 05-20-2018 04:49 PM

For those of you who are trying for Masters tickets, is there any downside to trying for 4 tickets? If you are selected and don't need all 4, are you obligated to paying for 4?