FICO 7 reports, 6 different scores

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So nowadays CC's and places like creditkarma are offering free FICO scores.

I think it's funny, I decided to obtain as many of these scores as I could for free. My observations were that I had 7 different reference sites I used from CC to CreditK to TransU themselves. it seems most of the sites sourced from TU.

I realize a FICO is only one piece of the credit puzzle. At least I know I have 7 different places I can go look. I was surprised how low mine is right now, but it fluctuates quite a bit based on who knows what but I know what hurts me is length of credit history. I sometimes bounce between Excellent and Great, but am usually in Excellent. Hoping it remains there after underutilizing my credit for a while.

DH has higher FICO, uses less credit, has less available credit, less accounts but longer history.

One thing I never understood is why housing as a general data point wasn't a factor into FICO. I suppose its not a loan, doesn’t involve a lender if you rent, vs own...but I always thought it would be nice if young people could build credit using housing rental in leiu of plastic... i'm sure this would be bad and skew the scale a bit in the long-run.

I plan on getting my full reports here in a month directly from the bureaus after I hear back on some disputes (they give you 1 free/year). Its nice you can electronically dispute most things right on the bureau websites.

One thing I never understood is why housing as a general data point wasn't a factor into FICO. I suppose its not a loan, doesn’t involve a lender if you rent, vs own...but I always thought it would be nice if young people could build credit using housing rental in leiu of plastic... i'm sure this would be bad and skew the scale a bit in the long-run.

TransUnion has a program called Rent Bureau that does exactly that. Only a large complex can submit payment records.

Imagine if a small landlord started charging people that were not his tenants to submit great payment records. It would be a great way for the landlord to make some extra money.

That is why they do not do it.

Back
Top Bottom