Fuego featured in story on CNBC web site

Nice! All the naysayers in the comments are pretty funny.

With the usual helping of "this isn't possible" and "there is hidden money somewhere" comments.

Great article, and congratulations to FUEGO for doing such a great job in designing a successful ER at such a young age.

Also, great photo - - what a nice looking family!

I think the comments are full of "sour grapes" written by those who just don't want to LBYM as much as FUEGO and family have done.

Nice! All the naysayers in the comments are pretty funny.

OMG. You made me look. :nonono: (There were a few good comments though. And I would be with them--both of those bloggers made deliberate and well-informed choices that DW and I did not want to make, and we don't regret taking a different path to a much later, but still relatively early, retirement; more power to Justin/Jeremy and their lovely wives though!)

^^ yes, proud of them!

huge lifestyle inflation victim here, I'm actually about to go look at a c4 vette convertible that I don't need :eek:

Nice article. The comment that had me most disturbed was the one that said:
You think that wife will.stsy around on the cheap.u are high. I think I. May travel thee and do her

It suggests that
a) the wife is not a participant in this - and is just hanging around for a paycheck from hubby and just a consumer rather than earning money, saving money, working towards the goal on her end.
b) the wife would have *anything at all* to do with a random stranger on the internet who shows up there to do her. (Is that a threat of rape?) These wives are clearly intelligent and had high incomes of their own - and are just as committed to the ER lifestyle.

While is it true that FUEGO retired a few years ago, here is his post about his wife working all through 2015:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/retirement-year-tax-joy-80905.html#post1700549
We had another successful year of negative federal income tax in spite of DW working the whole year in 2015 (since retired).
And for the commenters that asked about healthcare ... this is also explained in the above post.

So ... I must say that the article did not fully explain the entire situation. For instance, despite the mention of SS, FUEGO is paying lots of FICA tax.

BTW, my wife still works, too. :)

Nevertheless, congrats to FUEGO and lets hope everybody sees the light.

It suggests that
a) the wife is not a participant in this - and is just hanging around for a paycheck from hubby and just a consumer rather than earning money, saving money, working towards the goal on her end.
b) the wife would have *anything at all* to do with a random stranger on the internet who shows up there to do her. (Is that a threat of rape?) These wives are clearly intelligent and had high incomes of their own - and are just as committed to the ER lifestyle.

That was the worst comment? That was my favorite comment. :D Not only do Jeremy and I have trophy wives but they also worked (and in my case, worked for 2 years longer than me!).

I haven't added it up, but I bet Mrs. RootofGood and I ended up making about the exact same thing over the course of our lives. She worked full time a little longer than me and ended with a slightly higher salary (but with better benefits) however started her career earning a little less. Between her and I taking time off to care for our 3 kids I'd say we are close enough. :D

So ... I must say that the article did not fully explain the entire situation. For instance, despite the mention of SS, FUEGO is paying lots of FICA tax.

Rarely does the full story get published. I've done a few podcast interviews across the personal finance/FIRE realm and even during the course of an hour it's not possible to get the full, complete story with details.

Congrats Fuego !! And congrats to your lovely wife as well !

A well deserved ER, for sure !! :dance:

It suggests that

I found that comment (not yours) sad and offensive for this forum. First time I have cringed in the forum. Glad to see it has been removed.

Ut Oh... are we going to have to debate if he really is retired since he is blogging like MMM:confused:

It did not say if Fuego makes money, but it did say the other guy makes $40K which is his expenses... so he is not using his 'stash'...

But, congrats Fuego on retiring so young... I will send this link to my son...

FUEGO, congrats to you and your bride on your major milestone! ! :) I retired this year at 58 and it truly is what it's cracked up to be. I met Jeremy in Ecuador last year and he's nothing like the commenters are trying to paint him. Amusing and sad at the same time.

Nice article and a nice family. Good to see our community painted in a positive light in the national press.

I also (insert evil laugh) sent a link to it to my hyper-consumer co-worker who is currently cornering the market on baby supplies for her new addition. She came to my door and say that the article made her sad. LOL! That's my job, after all, reminding them that these are choices. Glad I could use Fuego as an example.

That she's a looooong way from early retirement. She's also in her 20s, FWIW, and I guess until I pointed this article out, she thought ER meant 50. Heh heh heh.

She's plenty smart (CFA, no less) but very "nice house, new car, cute outfits". A perfect foil for me, lol.

Nice article. ( I have looked at both Justin and Jeremy's blogs and they lead me here!)

I sometimes just shake my head at some of the young people I work with that live paycheck to paycheck and never think about saving for the future.... On the other hand, there are a few that do save and invest and will have a much better life for it.

Excellent job! It's good to see these stories get out there. But the comments...ugh, they are just sickening. Nothing like the good old internet police making sure things stay stirred up good.

I applaud Fuego and do read his website however, the savings on the three items for families is not quite the whole story.

Since Mrs F retired they are on heavily subsidized ACA plans and the mention of law school reminds me of the fierce debate a few years ago about his plans to simply default on his school loans by never having enough income to make payments. Now these programs are out there for anyone to use, but saving a few bucks on groceries pales in comparison and gives people just part of the story. But I guess that's the way everything gets reported today.But, there could be a lot of people out there with ER goals, poor and expensive medical coverage and student loans. Just saving a few bucks on food isn't going to do it. Everyone doesn't go out and overbuy on homes either...

I would like to see the student loan issued talked about on the blog, just for the sake of full disclosure. I think a creditable blogger needs to lay everything out on the table. He has done some posts about ACA. I find his posts entertaining and very readable.

To be fair, I have at least three friends who are on the income based repayment plan, and who expect to go out the long route of getting them forgiven at the end of the 25 year term. And one who is doing the same, but under the public service forgiveness at 10 years.

I have no problem with that. It is a program that the government offers, and like anything else, there are still hoops to be jumped through in order to qualify.

For example, to qualify for the ACA subsidy (learned a lot about it through his good blog post on the subject), our income cannot be over $31k and change. That is pretty dang low, and would be a serious trade-off in spending to save the health insurance subsidy. I'll have to decide when we get there if it is worth it.

I don't have a problem with anyone taking advantage of government offered programs.

I just believe that mentioning groceries and cars without giving the whole story is not giving people the entire picture. Now as a private citizen I don't have to tell anybody anything, but if I blogged, I would give people the entire picture.

Back
Top Bottom