Electromagnetic pulse protecter (EMP) vs surge protector?

I’ve always lived near a potential target. Just hope I’m close enough that I’m taken out immediately so I don’t have to linger in pain.

We took it to the next level when we were tripping around the Big Island.
Goober my friend. Goober, a butter knife from the condo, and a loaf of bread.
If we were having fun and not wanting to stop for a meal the non-drivers would make sammiches.

:cool:

That does look yummy! I would imagine there are many flavors to chose from. I've heard that one of the big issues of "survival" is the variety and tastiness of survival food. People tend not to eat food they don't particularly like (more off topic than already, but supposedly, a cat is the only animal that will starve rather than eat food it doesn't like.)

I could definitely live on "Goober" for quite some time - especially with varying flavors. Lots of calories (the most important survival nutrient) plus significant protein, minerals and vitamins. YMMV

I’ve always lived near a potential target. Just hope I’m close enough that I’m taken out immediately so I don’t have to linger in pain.

It was an interesting human "experiment" when Oahu had the false alert of an incoming nuclear ballistic missile. Obviously, we are a "target" due to our military installations so one would assume pretty much total annihilation. Yet students were shown (later on nightly news) running on the UH campus (to where, I would ask?) Some people tried to lower their kids into the sewer system (yuk!) There was one death (maybe heart attack - I forget.)

DW and I were in a meeting room at a church w*rking on a project with several other people. We all had a quick prayer - almost exclusively for our kids, scattered around the world - and then went back to what we were doing. Several bike riders who were going up the Pali Highway sought shelter in the church. We, of course, welcomed them in. Their eyes were like saucers. They must have thought we were strange as we spread papers out on a table and w*rked on our project. I finally went out to the car and turned on the radio. NOTHING about the attack - just news, sports, music, etc. Clearly, a false alarm - that wasn't officially announced for 35 minutes.

A very interesting experience. (EMP never occurred to me, by the way.:cool:)

It was an interesting human "experiment" when Oahu had the false alert of an incoming nuclear ballistic missile. Obviously, we are a "target" due to our military installations so one would assume pretty much total annihilation. Yet students were shown (later on nightly news) running on the UH campus (to where, I would ask?) Some people tried to lower their kids into the sewer system (yuk!) There was one death (maybe heart attack - I forget.)

DW and I were in a meeting room at a church w*rking on a project with several other people. We all had a quick prayer - almost exclusively for our kids, scattered around the world - and then went back to what we were doing. Several bike riders who were going up the Pali Highway sought shelter in the church. We, of course, welcomed them in. Their eyes were like saucers. They must have thought we were strange as we spread papers out on a table and w*rked on our project. I finally went out to the car and turned on the radio. NOTHING about the attack - just news, sports, music, etc. Clearly, a false alarm - that wasn't officially announced for 35 minutes.

A very interesting experience. (EMP never occurred to me, by the way.:cool:)

Seems to be a habit on the Islands. :popcorn:

The gov't built a secret bomb shelter for politicians, about 2 miles from my parents house... I figured the Russian spies knew about it and I was doomed.

Decades later I got to tour inside it, to see what the tax dollars were spent upon.

The Politicians must have a new secret deeper shelter.

I'm still one the fence on getting one that protects against EMP. They are not cheap and it seems that for total protection (house, generator, car) several units would be needed. They aren't cheap and the cost vs probability of needing one is what I am wrestling with on this purchase. One thing that really turned me off is the young lady I was dealing with seemed rather flippant on my questioning if their devices didn't work what would I do next. Her answer was, there is nothing could do then.

"So, $300 for a box with a varistor?"

EMP Shield Scam

"I make sure things are shielded in real life against EMP for a living. Think lots of metal plates and mesh."

"It's a high priced surge suppressor at best. It won't stop currents induced in your cabling due to EMP."

"...have yet to reply to my questions regarding their supposed testing with Keystone. They literally pointed to the PDF from Keystone

...if you check pages 114-119 of the report, the tests they are basing these claims on are essentially bogus as

they test the device's ability to survive an EMP, not any connected devices.

So you'd have an entire house of fried equipment and maybe a fully serviceable EMP Shield, but we don't even know that because their testing was conducted with a fully unpowered (inert) device..."

EMPShield. Is it bullcrap?

Last edited:
You all don't have your own personal Faraday cage? Prepper fail.

Yeah the picture of the little box with two dinky wires coming off it gave me a giggle. This is going to protect against EMP? Ya right. That's like pinning a toy tin star on your chest and thinking it will protect you against machine-gun fire.

If you (and all important equipment, including power) are not inside a Faraday cage, you have little or no protection from an honest-to-God EMP.

You all don't have your own personal Faraday cage? Prepper fail.

Could you just cover your house in chicken wire? I wonder if concrete buildings with rebar have any Faraday cage properties. (Heh, heh, I know from experience that rebar sure attracts salt from air. Yeah, I know. That's a whole other subject. Just sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom