FIRE'd myself today at 55

coveredbridge

Recycles dryer sheets
Gave my notice today. I'm going on vacation on July 5th and I'm not going back. What a rush of emotions! Boss, as well as close coworkers that I told today were shocked to say the least, but everyone was very gracious about it. I know it was the right move to make, but after 33 years of work it's hard to comprehend that I won't be getting up every day and going to the office anymore. Also, while I am very comfortable with the financial picture, I'm sure it will be a shock to my system when the bi-weekly payroll deposits stop. Most of all though, I'm really looking forward to doing the things that I want to do when I get up in the morning instead of trudging into work. I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.

Welcome to the club!

Well done.

I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.

Congratulations on your retirement!!

Most of their shock probably comes from the realization that some of them could have also retired if they had played their cards right.

I meet some former co-w*rkers at a local lounge every 3-4 weeks and always hear the same thing from a couple of them..."you're so lucky that you were able to retire". Luck had little to do with it...I simply had a LBYM lifestyle and saved a bit.

Congratulations!

Don't let the reactions from others make you question your plan. I'm sure you've done your homework and YOU know what you are able to do. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "You are too young to retire!" (I'm 51)

Enjoy your Independence Day!!

Congrats!

My retirement date is coming soon, and I have some of the same mixed feelings you have. Everybody tells me it's going to be great, though.

Congrats! Hope it all goes well! I'm out 15 July... Can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats, I have two months until I retire at age 50. I hear the same thing from people about being too young. Don't let the emotions get the best of you. I actually rescinded my retirement last year because my emotions got the best of me. You worked hard so enjoy the rest of your life and once again, congrats.

Gave my notice today. I'm going on vacation on July 5th and I'm not going back. What a rush of emotions! Boss, as well as close coworkers that I told today were shocked to say the least, but everyone was very gracious about it. I know it was the right move to make, but after 33 years of work it's hard to comprehend that I won't be getting up every day and going to the office anymore. Also, while I am very comfortable with the financial picture, I'm sure it will be a shock to my system when the bi-weekly payroll deposits stop. Most of all though, I'm really looking forward to doing the things that I want to do when I get up in the morning instead of trudging into work. I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.

Congrats! Sounds like you have done all the homework, so don't look back! I'm only a few months ahead of you and I already can't IMAGINE ever going back. :D

Congratulations! My original plan was to retire on July 4th 2014 (Independence Day). I hesitated and retired on 8/1/2014. I have never looked back!

Go for it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats!

I'm completing m 6th week of ER and loving it. Of all the positives, the best for me is that I am sleeping at night. I used to get up in the middle of the night with my brain going a million miles an hour about the 17 things I was working on, knowing that 13 weren't getting done satisfactorily (at least to me).

Whether I remain full-time retired is still questionable (DW still w*rks), but regardless, if I go back to w*rk, even part-time, will surely be in a low stress situation.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I'm completing m 6th week of ER and loving it. Of all the positives, the best for me is that I am sleeping at night. I used to get up in the middle of the night with my brain going a million miles an hour about the 17 things I was working on, knowing that 13 weren't getting done satisfactorily (at least to me).

Whether I remain full-time retired is still questionable (DW still w*rks), but regardless, if I go back to w*rk, even part-time, will surely be in a low stress situation.

I can totally relate to the sleeping issue, and knowing so many things are falling through the cracks because there's not enough help to get things done right. That's why I don't feel like I have any choice. I just don't want to feel like that anymore, and because I am FI, I don't have to.

It is tough though when you realize that you are leaving forever and that you will no longer see the people that you spent more waking time with over the past 24 years than your family. I was an emotional wreck yesterday, and I'm trying hard to hold it together today. People keep asking me if I've changed my mind, and I want to tell them that I just don't feel like I have any choice.

The Brexit result isn't helping my sense of financial security this morning either, but I know it's just a transitory event and my portfolio can withstand it.

I just wish everyone wouldn't act so shocked. For some reason, it makes me question whether I'm really doing the right thing.

The reason for the shock is because what you are doing, what most of the people on this website have done or are in the process of doing is far from the norm. The majority of the people over 50 have less that 40,000 saved up for retirement. Most expect to work well into their 70s. A close friend of mine during a recent discussion on retirement told me that his retirement plan A is to keep buying lottery tickets and win the jackpot. Plan B involves working until he is 125. Says he should be fine after that. This is a very intelligent and educated man. However he and his wife travel frequently and do not save any money. There are also a lot of people, I personally know several who think that even if you have the funds, it is morally wrong to retire before you are 65. I have had heated discussion on this topic. In my view, with a few exceptions, people who say they will work until they are in their 80s or beyond because they love to work are full of $$#####@
They either do not have the funds, don't know what they will do with themselves , or lack the confidence to go against the grain. I have had what I consider a successful career and will be leaving a great job for the freedom to explore , travel, live and learn. Is it possible that I may come to regret this decision? Of course. But that has been the case with every major decision I have made since I was 18 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful, wonderful news!
Remember that you've had a lot of time to think about this. You've been planning and dreaming about it for a long time. This is the first your co-workers have heard of it. Their shock is natural. And sobering. I imagine they're trying to figure out what in the world you've done to be able to retire now. Let their shock be your pat on the back for a job well done. It may be too, that one of these folks might want to have lunch with you in the future to learn how they might gear for retirement too. Your ability to both enjoy life without paid employement and to share your know-how with others are both positive, forward moving gifts. Don't look back but stay focused on enjoying each and every day. You've completely earned it.

If it helps, I retired at 61 and everyone at work was shocked when I retired, too. People at my work were used to seeing me mostly just in that one capacity, as the oceanographer at work. They couldn't visualize me as doing anything else all day long. Plus, some of them just never were very good at dealing with change.

It's always good to question whether you are doing the right thing, but I would imagine now that you are THIS close to retiring, you are pretty sure about that. So, trust your own feelings.

For many of us, retirement has been a wonderful adventure! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom