Work called

InTheSticks

Recycles dryer sheets
After nine months of retirement, I got a call at 3:30am from my old employer needing someone to get online and fix a computer problem. It appears that I was not taken off all call lists. I informed the tech that I had not worked for the company in 9 months and wished him luck. My wife said that they still need me. I told her, that I don't need them.

It took me a while to get back to sleep. At least, I could sleep late to catch up on my sleep.

Oh well.

I had fears of that occurring and it hasn't.

A good friends wife arranged for operations to call him on his very first day of retirement. Poor guy took the bait and patiently explained "I'm retired" to no avail. The operation guy started throwing out various VP names who asked for his help. They had a great laugh after a while.

Can you send them a bill?

I won't send them a bill. It wasn't that big of a deal. I just thought it was funny and wanted to share it.

I won't send them a bill. It wasn't that big of a deal. I just thought it was funny and wanted to share it.
Not everyone can smile at a 3:30 am wake up call. Good for you! :)

Not everyone can smile at a 3:30 am wake up call. Good for you! :)

last time I got one of those my sister was killed in a car accident - I hate getting calls late at night

It would almost be worth the wake up for the pleasure of realizing you don't have to deal with it and can go back to bed.

When I was working any calls after hours I was paid 4 hours straight time and if I had to go out somewhere then it was 4 hours OT. I would send them a bill.

I'd still send them a bill

For what:confused: There is no contract...

You might be surprised on where someone's name or number might show up... just because you are taken off payroll does not mean you are wiped from every system the company has...

If you are retired, why is your phone in your bedroom? :confused:

Good question. I turn mine off and leave it in the living room. Of course I don't have children or any living siblings, so not much chance of getting an emergency call during the night.

You might be surprised on where someone's name or number might show up... just because you are taken off payroll does not mean you are wiped from every system the company has...

I was one of the first people from Megacorp that took their cell number with them. When I mentioned that to my VP his response was "I can't promise these folks will ever find where all these $$#%÷ texts come from....", these folks all worked for him and he couldn't get his name off texts for areas he no longer was responsible for.

Good question. I turn mine off and leave it in the living room. Of course I don't have children or any living siblings, so not much chance of getting an emergency call during the night.

We still have a land line.

When I was working any calls after hours I was paid 4 hours straight time and if I had to go out somewhere then it was 4 hours OT. I would send them a bill.

If we carried the pager for a week, we got 2 hours of "Pager time". Kind of like vacation. I tried to avoid the pager as much as possible, 2 hours of pager time was not worth it.

like the corporate amex bill I got 2 months after I resigned?

Should have just said "I'm on it!", hung up and gone back to bed.

Hey, five years later, my former research institution still has a webpage with my biography, photo, research profile and obsolete contact details. It even says I am accepting students. I have written twice to request that it be taken down, but no joy. I think that because I was productive, it looks good. Anyone who calls the number will get a secretary who has probably never heard of me.

We don't have aland line anymore and only DW can ring through during the night.

Hey, five years later, my former research institution still has a webpage with my biography, photo, research profile and obsolete contact details. It even says I am accepting students. I have written twice to request that it be taken down, but no joy. I think that because I was productive, it looks good. Anyone who calls the number will get a secretary who has probably never heard of me.

LOL... I know when I was let go from mega that they still had me listed on a phone that I had not used for the past 8 years... for some reason they never assigned it to anybody.... heck, I do not know if they have yet and that was 8 years ago!!!

I also know that they were using a Fed wire account that was set up specifically for me (for some reason it was the only way I could get money to the right place from the gvmt).... well, after I left that group someone found out about it when THEY wanted to have a separate account and could not get approval... started to use it for a LOT of things... I found out years later they were moving billions of dollars through it... and it was all listed as 'my' account... I had to do the paperwork to close it down before they decided to get approval and change it out of my name...

Back
Top Bottom