Gas prices 2017

See i always have a story, I followed a guy from Texas that was tracking his weekly gas prices near his home since like 1979 it was awesome. The gas station near me was 2.45 cash or credit card, they had flags waving so maybe it was a grand reopening. Im still on my second tank of gas for the year. UPDATE: this is the guy i was talking about http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/gasprice.html. He is a nice guy, i emailed him once, For the 35 gallons of gas i bought last year its almost not a line item in my budget. In my imaginary budget i allow $1000 for gas and tolls, $1000 in maintenance, and $2000 for insurance.

Last edited:
$1.86 I heard around here at a corner price war. And Costco is at $1.92. Most stations are $1.95 or so.

Oil has dropped a lot in the past couple of weeks. We're going to see lower prices again.

I was only down half a tank but noticed half the stations in town had just jumped $.30/gal to about $2.29. So I stopped at one that was still at $2.01 (and got $.10/gal loyalty award for buying at the Kroger associated with the station.)

I'm old enough to recall $.29/gallon as typical. In 1972, I was running around all week in my Opel for $3.00. Sigh! YMMV

$3.03/gal last I checked in King County, WA. That's for the premium stuff. It was at $3.80 earlier this year.

$1.92 in central AR, $1.86 at Sam's Club

$1.91 at the nearby Costco. Had to check gas buddy, since I haven't needed refueling since May.

I'm old enough to recall $.29/gallon as typical. In 1972, I was running around all week in my Opel for $3.00. Sigh! YMMV

The lowest I recall was $0.249, though $0.3119 was more common. That's when "gas war" meant something different... Probably late 1970 or early 1971. At a quarter a gallon, 300 miles in the VW cost $2.50.

$1.79 but our state gas tax rises 2 cents July 1.

$2.25 north of Detroit, but saw $3.99 in the California Sierras.

Around my neighborhood, it ranges from 2.08 to 2.49.
I've never lived anywhere with so much variability.

See i always have a story, I followed a guy from Texas that was tracking his weekly gas prices near his home since like 1979 it was awesome. The gas station near me was 2.45 cash or credit card, they had flags waving so maybe it was a grand reopening. Im still on my second tank of gas for the year. UPDATE: this is the guy i was talking about Gasoline Price History. He is a nice guy, i emailed him once, For the 35 gallons of gas i bought last year its almost not a line item in my budget. In my imaginary budget i allow $1000 for gas and tolls, $1000 in maintenance, and $2000 for insurance.

Just curious: Wouldn't you be better off with a car-share or just taking Uber for those 500miles a year? Or do you have a special bond with your car?

Just curious: Wouldn't you be better off with a car-share or just taking Uber for those 500miles a year? Or do you have a special bond with your car?

Yes it would, but i have a 91 year old mother, if she gets sick i want to be able to "throw " her into the car and rush her to the hospital.

$2.89 in Independence Oregon, $2.62 if we drive 15 miles to Costco. $2.72 at the Costco down in La Quinta Ca. We live in expensive gas areas, but at least the car uses Premium.

$2.89 in Independence Oregon, $2.62 if we drive 15 miles to Costco. $2.72 at the Costco down in La Quinta Ca. We live in expensive gas areas, but at least the car uses Premium.

Interesting. In Paradise, Costco is almost always $.25 to $.30 less per gallon than the lowest prices. That's why they tend to be swamped with customers. Of course, I'd never drive the 10 miles to Costco to save $4 on a fill up, BUT whenever I'm in the area, I'll at least check the line. If it hasn't backed up onto Alakawa, I'll stop. Wait plus fill up time never exceeds 15 minutes if you can get directly into the lot. The worst thing is that Hawaii drivers believe they have to leave large spaces between cars - even in a gas line.:facepalm: The attendant has long ago given up on trying to scoot people close together to get folks off the street and into the lot. But I'm not bitter! YMMV

$1.91 at the nearby Costco. Had to check gas buddy, since I haven't needed refueling since May.

The lowest I recall was $0.249, though $0.3119 was more common. That's when "gas war" meant something different... Probably late 1970 or early 1971. At a quarter a gallon, 300 miles in the VW cost $2.50.

Before I was driving, but I was always curious about anything to do with driving, so I noticed: Back in the 50s, there were gas wars in the 16 to 19 cent range. YMMV

$2.19 today and yesterday. $2.35 all last week. Why it went down at the start of summer instead of up, beats me, but I ain't complaining.

I had to drive into Houston yesterday :( and I saw it for 1.87 at a Walmart on the north side near the Woodlands. Lot's of stations around town had it for 1.99.

It's 2.09 around here in the central/east Texas area.

$1.96 and my tank is low so I'm going to fill up soon. This station is linked to a grocery store's "Fuel Perks" points and I have points for $.80 off per gallon so this will be a very cheap fill up. The last time I bought gas was May 12th.

Last edited:
It's $1.99 at our favorite gas station, but $2.03 at the closest gas station which is a mile and a half closer and usually only a couple of cents more expensive. I usually go to the latter, because I just don't use that much gas for it to make a difference.

I just filled my gas tank yesterday and so far this year, I have only spent $235 on gas.

I feel like "Diamond Jim" when I intentionally get gas at the more expensive gas station just because it's more convenient. That's me, throwing money around indiscriminately... :D

$1.75 here. I dont incur much savings like I used to as I hate to drive much anymore. Now that I have more time to drive, I find myself less inclined towards doing it though.

Back
Top Bottom