USAA Verification Phone Calls

NanoSour

Full time employment: Posting here.
Long time USAA member here and been very happy with their service over the years. But for the past few years they have subcontracted to this vendor to call members and verify automobile information. I typically don't answer phone calls unless I know the number and for about a month now I've been receiving calls from a 210 area code. Early on they left a voicemail stating they were a contractor for USAA hired to verify auto policy information.

They called again this morning and I called the number back. A gentleman answered the call and right away I noticed some broken english. Fluent, but definitely not native. He immediately asked for my USAA number, which I provided. Then he asked who he speaking with. I replied with "you tell me". His response was the spanish version of my name. So I immediately hung up.

I'm not sure why, but this makes me uncomfortable. Has any other USAA member received these types of phone calls? Just curious.

No. USAA member for over 40 years and I've never had such a phone call. Did you call USAA and ask about this?

I've received letters from USAA saying a third party will be calling me to verify insurance info. I throw away the letters and ignore the calls. I also get non legit SCAM USAA emails which I delete. It's getting to the point where its more difficult to determine which is real and which is fake.

Last edited:
Not a USAA member but we've had the same car insurance for at least 20 years and have never had anyone call us to "verify" anything. I vote phishing.

I called USAA to register a complaint and although it was a legitimate call, they now have me on a do not call list.

If this concerns you, why don't you contact USAA and ask them what is going on, rather than post on an internet forum to a bunch of strangers who don't use their real names?

Last edited:
Yes. USAA member for 40 years.
Started getting these calls once a year for at least the last 5 years.
They are legit and they use outside contractors (so some may not be native English speakers).
You also typically get a letter beforehand advising you that they will be calling and that letter has the phone number you can call to get it done without delay and out of the way.
They just want to know about any pertinent lifestyle changes that will affect your insurance (e.g., now logging lots more miles for a commute for your auto insurance, home coverage, etc.)
I ignored them one year; they'll keep nagging.

This has already been answered, but just to clarify that it could be a legit call...here's what I found on the USAA community site:

SD4 and Security Aware,

I called the number you provided in your post and confirmed you were speaking with Professional Surveys, Inc (PSI) a trusted vendor with USAA for over 11 years. PSI contacts members on our behalf to complete an auto survey to make sure we have the correct rating information prior to the auto policy renewal. Our goal is to make our members feel comfortable when speaking to PSI; therefore, for your convenience I have included the link to our FAQ’s section regarding PSI. We direct our members here to learn more about PSI and our partnership.

SD4 and Security Aware, I am providing your feedback to the appropriate department for further consideration as we want to ensure our vendors are clearly identifying themselves at the onset of each call. Thank you for reaching out and sharing.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/faq_PC_Professional_Surveys_PCFAQ_index?0&SearchRanking=2&SearchLinkPhr...

Long time USAA member here and been very happy with their service over the years. But for the past few years they have subcontracted to this vendor to call members and verify automobile information. I typically don't answer phone calls unless I know the number and for about a month now I've been receiving calls from a 210 area code. Early on they left a voicemail stating they were a contractor for USAA hired to verify auto policy information.

They called again this morning and I called the number back. A gentleman answered the call and right away I noticed some broken english. Fluent, but definitely not native. He immediately asked for my USAA number, which I provided. Then he asked who he speaking with. I replied with "you tell me". His response was the spanish version of my name. So I immediately hung up.

I'm not sure why, but this makes me uncomfortable. Has any other USAA member received these types of phone calls? Just curious.

Not yet, im a member over 35 years. I do miss them addressing me by my former rank. They used to say "Oh Lt BCG" how are you today. Now they stumble a few times over my last name. Maybe they call me mister i dont recall, but the LT is dead

Not yet, im a member over 35 years. I do miss them addressing me by my former rank.

Funny, I have the opposite reaction. I dislike that when I talk to them they use my former (retired as) rank and put it on all the mail they send. They missed the part when I was promoted to MISTER. :D

Funny, I have the opposite reaction. I dislike that when I talk to them they use my former (retired as) rank and put it on all the mail they send. They missed the part when I was promoted to MISTER. :D

Sometimes a company salesperson will ask "Is it OK to call you [my first name].

Once in a while I'll say "No, I prefer to be called either "Ambassador" or "Your Lordship". For some odd reason that always leads to a very long silence.

Once in a while I'll say "No, I prefer to be called either "Ambassador" or "Your Lordship". For some odd reason that always leads to a very long silence.

That's a great idea. I have been called lots of things...most of which I can't post here. :D

:LOL::LOL:

DW just came into the room to find out why I was laughing.

:LOL: A person after my own heart! I did this once, I responded off the top of my head "Call me 'Lord High Executioner', just don't ask me why, its classified". They didn't seem eager to sell me anything after that...

I have been getting these calls and letters from the USAA firm wanting to make sure my USAA information is correct. Even though I have been a member for over 40 years, I suspect they question that my reported annual mileage is too low. I ignore them for about a month and then tell them that I was to the website and the mileage figure have just been updated. which is true.
The website keeps reminding me that the average driver puts on 12-15K miles per year and question my four cars with 8K miles each per year.

I have been getting these calls and letters from the USAA firm wanting to make sure my USAA information is correct. Even though I have been a member for over 40 years, I suspect they question that my reported annual mileage is too low. I ignore them for about a month and then tell them that I was to the website and the mileage figure have just been updated. which is true.
The website keeps reminding me that the average driver puts on 12-15K miles per year and question my four cars with 8K miles each per year.

At least you get a letter, somehow I made it to the email list and i cant open up what they are sending me. Seems when I paid the flood insurance last month they applied it to my home owners policy and they were emailing me with threats that I have an over due flood policy bill. A phone call straightened it out. I called to them to ask whats the email say?

I must be addressed as 'El Conquistador' phone call from Bob & Tom radio show.

Back
Top Bottom