To toy or not to toy...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The toy is a BMW convertible but it isn't so much about the car.. It is an admission that the time to enjoy a toy is wasting.

My sons parking lot queen has 125,000 miles on it and appears to be going strong. It's once ever couple of weeks hour and 40 minute drive to college, starting in 3 less then weeks shouldn't tax the old gal too much. So there is no rational to give him my 40,000 mile shinny red Mint RAV 4. Dam. Further no reason for me to change cars now either. My 3 day a week 9 mile drive to the office doesn't help my cause either.

Both the daughter and wife are well fixed with a couple year old cars with low miles. So no joy there either.

Did you ever just yearn for a toy? Did you give in? I'm simply not a thing person... other then a bunch of fishing poles.

They were getting gas in a shinny steel grey 320 something BMW convertible. I thought what a beautiful car. I've always been a fan. They were probably 20 years old at most - I had car envy. I know it's just a car and it is silly.

I hate to bring up a "sore" subject, but would there be an issue with your new knees? Getting in and out of the convertible might be more effort than with the higher seats in the RAV4. Just a thought.

In 2005 I was driving a 1987 Camry with 250000. It purred like a kitten. I paid $550 for it. I wanted a toy so I went out and got a brand new Chrysler 300C with the hemi. Fully loaded. Payments were $539/month. Cool for about a month. Then I realized I could be putting $500/month extra into the market. Oh well. No more toys. Well, maybe second hand toys.

I treated myself to a used Mazda Miata a few years ago. Sadly, DW did not enjoy riding in it (too small, too low, etc). So, we (the Miata and I) parted company a while back. Glad I did it though, that was one sweet ride.

I buy new toy(s) every year, sometimes more often. Buy older toy(s) too but not as often as I once did. Toy box is full.

Not much for convertibles, since I keep losing my hats and then I get sunburned on the top of my head. But whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:
buy the vert! doesn't matter too much which one you buy. The out side sun...clouds...wind in your face...smiles for miles! my wife loves the sports cars too!

Attachments

• 33 (7).jpg
    33 (7).jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 115 (3).jpg
    115 (3).jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1 (25).jpg
    1 (25).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 25
Have owned several "toys" in my driving years. I'm on my 2nd Porsche Boxster and I love the open top driving experience. First thing is to make sure you are really a "open top"driver. I have know a lot of people that buy convertibles and never put the top down (??). Second thing is all European car cost a lot more to maintain so if you do not work on your car expect to pay a lot more at the shop.... As long as you know what you are getting into with a BMW w/ 125K miles then go for it...

I recently looked at, and bought, a used convertable.

Considered BMW 3 series, VW, and Toyota Solara. Ended up with a Solara-partly because it seemed to be the best low mileage/good condition vehicle in our trading area.

I am partial to Toyota/Honda products but what put me off of the first two was maintenance costs. Seems that they are considerably higher than Toyota as the car ages...most especially BMW. It may be a different kettle of fish if you are getting a car that you are familar with and has had proper, regular preventative mtce/fluid changes.

Also had a quick look at the Volvo with the retractable hard roof. Beautiful car. Only issue was the convertable motor. Apparently very susceptible to failure and VERY expensive to repair/replace.

Plan to use ours as a summer second car and garage it during the winter.

Considered BMW 3 series, VW, and Toyota Solara. Ended up with a Solara-partly because it seemed to be the best low mileage/good condition vehicle in our trading area...
It is a pretty car and somewhat rare. I think you should get many years of pleasure from it.

I'm on my 2nd Porsche Boxster and I love the open top driving experience. First thing is to make sure you are really a "open top"driver. I have know a lot of people that buy convertibles and never put the top down (??). Second thing is all European car cost a lot more to maintain so if you do not work on your car expect to pay a lot more at the shop.... As long as you know what you are getting into with a BMW w/ 125K miles then go for it...

+1

I love the top-down driving experience, too, although I have to confess I don't do it as much as I should. But when I do... man, it is just awesome.

I would say that buying a "toy" car is something that generally shouldn't be done lightly. As much as I like my toy, I would figure it's cost me over $100 per "fun drive around with the top down" since I've owned it. If your FIRE budget has plenty of room for an extravagance like that, then go for it!

There is no substitute

I heard the siren song of a Porsche 911. Like Odysseus, I tried to tie myself to the mast so I wouldn't jump overboard and be smashed on the rocks.

It didn't work. Bewitched by its buxom beauty, I wriggled free of my fetters and surrendered to the music. It took years for the magic spell to wear off.

My "toys" are musical instruments, not cars. After owning solid and reliable musical gear for years, I decided to treat myself to nicer instruments a couple years ago.

I traded a perfectly acceptable acoustic guitar that was worth about $800 for a a beautiful walnut acoustic that cost $2,000.

I had a perfectly good bass worth $600 and replaced it with an $1,800 bass. I replaced a $1,000 amp with one that cost $2,500.

I play videogames. A lot less expensive. And more fun, imo (I've never been a car guy).

I had toys for many years....

Back in 88 I bought a 87 Firebird Formula 350 pretty cheap.... I wanted a second car because I owned an 85 Mercury Cougar that kept giving me trouble... loved the Bird, but it was a maintenance nightmare...

Sold the Cougar for a 95 Monte Carlo Z34.... loved that car... it was my daily driver...

Sold the Firebird for a 04 Acura TL 6 speed... this was the best car I ever had.... was faster than the Firebird... handled better... and was also a 4 door so I could carry people easily....

Sold the Monte Carlo for a Hyundai Elantra on the cash for clunkers... it is a utility car... nothing special about it... (this was when married... previously I was single)

Sadly totaled out the Acura a few years back and have not replaced the toy.... have a son on insurance and soon will have a daughter... cannot afford to have extra cars anymore.... so I drive the Elantra and am good...

I do not know if I will ever get an extra car... I might get something like the Acura again, but it will be my daily driver, not something extra...

Considered BMW 3 series, VW, and Toyota Solara. Ended up with a Solara-partly because it seemed to be the best low mileage/good condition vehicle in our trading area.

I am partial to Toyota/Honda products but what put me off of the first two was maintenance costs. Seems that they are considerably higher than Toyota as the car ages...most especially BMW. It may be a different kettle of fish if you are getting a car that you are familar with and has had proper, regular preventative mtce/fluid changes.

Also had a quick look at the Volvo with the retractable hard roof. Beautiful car. Only issue was the convertable motor. Apparently very susceptible to failure and VERY expensive to repair/replace.

Plan to use ours as a summer second car and garage it during the winter.

DH is original owner of a 2007 Solara convertible. 110K miles and still in great condition. We picked the Solara partly due to reliability and relatively low maintenance costs, and also because the trunk is large for a convertible and it actually has a functional back seat. Had a Miata before and loved it, but it was really small. Hard to fit overnight bags and even a couple of cases of wine in the trunk.

I bought a new BMW 3 series in 2013 and love it. In regards to maintenance costs the new BMW came with maintenance costs included for 4 years and 50,000 miles, although it hasn't had much maintenance other than oil changes and new brakes. Reliability thus far (45000 miles) has been excellent no issues.

Hunt for a 2 or 3 year old one in excellent, well maintained condition with the balance of the factory warranty remaining. Buy it at the right price. That way if you decide you don't like it later on, the financial impact will be minimal. The depreciation hit would be crippling if you bought new and unloaded it shortly thereafter. Depreciation on a new BMW is the antithesis of depreciation on a new Toyota or Subaru.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom