Mental shift into RE

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just looked (counted)

I usually do 300-plus taxable trades a year. But I just counted up all that I've made in the first 10 months and it's only 17. I think that mental shift from working until retirement has affected more than my getting up in the morning and driving an hour to work. The weird thing is that my portfolio has done just as well this year as it did last! Anyone else slow down on their trading in retirement?

What was your biggest trade off?

Last edited:
I used to trade a lot. I have taken several trading courses. From Investools, Online Trading Academy, and many other seminars.

I do better just letting my index ETFs ride.

I have a lot in individual stocks, primarily dividend paying stocks. I typically don’t trade much, but am trying to reduce too much of DW’s former company stock. She was hesitant until Amazon’s recent move to get into the pharmaceutical business. Her stock has taken a hit.

In retirement, I have my portfolio in a very few, very broad index funds, and cut my trading down to none (except for rebalancing).

I have an easy care house, easy care yard, and an easy care portfolio. If I had it to do again, I'd probably make it even easier to handle. I'd put it all in one of Vanguard's retirement funds and just have the dividends sent to my bank.

Before I retired, I had a riskier AA and traded a lot more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom