What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to my DS's wedding. He will be 40 the beginning of April and his wife is 39 also. Neither one had ever been married. I often wondered if I would still be alive when they got married. Life is good!

Yesterday:
Took the tree and outside lights down. Made older son load the decorations into the attic.
Took older son out driving (new learners permit) to take the christmas tree to the local tree recycling drop off.
Took older son to a craigslist purchase/exchange so he could buy some gaming thing he wanted.

Today:
Kids back to school after a very long winter break. YAY!!!!
Did laundry.
Bought a dishwasher... even sprung to have it installed since DH has said he's reaching a point where it takes too long to recover from large projects that require crawling under a counter. (He just redid under our kitchen sink to solve a leak 2 weeks ago and has been grumbling that he's getting too old for this.)
Restocked our pantry with a Costco run.
Picked up kids after their robotics club and am now listening to older son practice piano... he's pretty darn good.

This morning I went to my monthly meeting at the quilt shop. When I got home, DH was vacuuming so I mopped the kitchen floor. Might as well have the whole place clean.

I must say, I’m liking the new & improved DH since he has recovered from the hip replacement. Before the new hip, it hurt him to do anything physical and he would spend the day sitting around the house getting bored and grumpy. Understandable, since he was in pain, but still a little hard to live with some days.

Now that he’s fully recovered he’s back to his normal disposition. Puttering around the house with some repair projects, going to the gym, pitching in with the chores. It will be nice to have him back as a hiking/biking partner this year.

Sitting here in NH waiting to get hammered by a blizzard today. My MegaCorp actually shut down the site today due to the storm!!
Below 0 deg much of last week.

Looking at OMY ... giving notice Spring 2019. I'm 63yo now and don't know if I can wait that long.

Awoke this morning to a 4.4 earthquake. :hide:

Actually, that’s minor; reminded me of living in the East Bay in the 1980s, and frequently hearing the cedar shake shingles scraping each other outside the BR window during small earthquakes. Experts say 2018 is likely to be a year of more earthquakes but, it sounds like the risk is closer to the equator.

This is the first earthquake I’ve noticed since returning to SF Bay Area in early 2015. So, we’ve now we’ve experienced all four California ‘seasons’ since our return:

- Flood (and mudslides)
- Drought
- Fire
- Earthquake

This has been a very busy holiday and start of the new year. DS drove from Virginia with his two dogs and got to DD's place the night before Christmas. We had a great Christmas day with the kids and DD's inlaws. The next day the kids and I all drove to my place in the mountains. The following day my son's dogs took off and we have not seen them since. :( Spent a couple of days looking for the dogs and then hired a lady that tracks missing pets with bloodhounds. She and her dogs tracked them what must be about 40 miles through some very rugged country and down the Platte River to just southwest of the Denver metro area where the river leaves the road and goes into a very narrow canyon that is too steep to traverse. We used the bloodhounds to check the canyon exit on the other side and there was no sign of the dogs there.

The trackers cost about $1k per day for two days. On top of that, I was so upset the first day that I ground my teeth and broke out an old filling so now I have to get a root canal and crown. That will be over $1.5k.

Other than the above, it has been great to see DS and to have both kids and SIL up for the holidays! :)

Awoke this morning to a 4.4 earthquake. :hide:

Actually, that’s minor; reminded me of living in the East Bay in the 1980s, and frequently hearing the cedar shake shingles scraping each other outside the BR window during small earthquakes. Experts say 2018 is likely to be a year of more earthquakes but, it sounds like the risk is closer to the equator.

This is the first earthquake I’ve noticed since returning to SF Bay Area in early 2015. So, we’ve now we’ve experienced all four California ‘seasons’ since our return:

- Flood (and mudslides)
- Drought
- Fire
- Earthquake
I remember those earthquakes! I lived in the SF Bay Area from 1968-1973. The earthquakes were a little disconcerting but fairly light, and luckily not disastrous during that time period. The heaviest one I ever experienced happened to hit when I was making out with a boyfriend and I thought the feeling was due to emotional intensity, not a seismic event. :blush: :LOL: Luckily I was long gone before the big Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989.

Later, I lived in San Diego from 1977-1984, and we had a few very mild earthquakes there during that time, milder than those I had experienced in Northern California. I learned to look at my fish tank to see if the water was swishing around, to verify if we were having a minor earthquake.

I also experienced drought and wildfires during my California years, but I don't recall much in the way of flooding except in the Tijuana river bed (which is a river so that did not seem too unexpected to me). It's been a long time, though so maybe I have forgotten.

We don't have earthquakes here, or at least we have had none that I have ever noticed. But the hurricanes more than make up for it. :D

Last edited:
I cooked a turkey on Saturday so today is turkey soup and turkey tetrazzini to use up the leftovers .It is soup weather even in Florida this week.

The huge radiator on my back porch cracked in the cold last night, ice formed all over the floor. Heating man is here now; the same thing, he reports, is happening all over town in this extreme cold we've been having. The cracked radiator weighs (he said) about 700 lbs and will have to be jack hammered to remove it. Then the question is whether a new one of that size can be found. Meanwhile, as he's working to drain the system I'm huddled here in lots of blankets. Old house fun!

Just dropped off my brother. We’ve had family house guests since the 20th, at one point 17 people. Now it’s back to just the two of us. I love it when they show up and I love it when they leave. :)

Gym day today, both of us skipped a few days during the holidays and now it's payback time. Ouch!

Being grateful that we're not getting any snow. I may have seen a few snowflakes when we were leaving the gym but I'm not even sure of that - could have been flakes of leaves in the wind, which is strong and gusty. But here it is cold as a witch's um, bosom.

Just came back in from shoveling snow in the middle of "the Bomb". It's still coming down, so I'll have to go back out later, but it should be a little less work then. The wind is fierce here in coastal Connecticut. A branch falling out of one of my maple trees missed beaning me by about a foot. There is also substantial coastal flooding; yet another reason not to build your house down on the beach.

Slept in, went to the gym, told DW to pick up a powerball(cash pay out) took a nap and now I'm up.

The snow has stopped here, so DH and I went out to shovel. He got a head start and by the time I bundled up and got out there the chore was almost done. Since I was dressed and wanted to burn some calories, I shoveled the neighbor’s driveway for them.

We went to pick up prescriptions and then to the springs. It was a balmy 32°F when we arrived. Nice day in 104° water watching other folks act like idiots. We chatted with a few folks from all over the world.

Came home and realized we had no plans for dinner but had a lot of grocery items in the house. Tonight we are having home made Pork Chille Verde.

Over the past few months I had accumulated four huge boxes - - two from Amazon Prime, 2 from ButcherBox. Our trash collection will only pick them up if they have been cut up, bagged, and put in the trash-cans-on-wheels that they provide. Curbside recycling won't pick them up either.

So today I decided to just toss them in the back of my Venza and take them to the main recycling center, which is free for Parish (=county) residents. But when we got there, we found that there is a new rule. It is now required that boxes must be totally dismantled before they will accept them. :blink:

We went to lunch, and then came home with the boxes still in the back. It took me 55 minutes with a box cutter but I got them cut up into pieces that would fit compactly in a trash bag, and bagged them all up. I managed to fit all of them in one bag but it was tight.

And that is what I did today. Act I, that is. Act II is laundry. Act III is to kick back with my video games, feet up, and a large glass of water.

Bought our last treadmill nine years ago, quite a good one (over $3K in 2009). It gets so little use any more that I sometimes think of getting rid of it. But with all the single digit or negative (°F) temperatures lately, the old thing keeps proving its worth. DW and I both love to get outdoors if possible, but we've both been keeping the treadmill active these days. I'm sure it has many more useful years in it.

Went to the doctor this morning. New for me. His photo on the web site shows a man with gray around the temples - someone with experience. In person, my son is older than him. No grey or age at all. He dyed his hair to look older for the photo! I called him out for it, and he denied it, saying it was “the lighting when they took the photo”.

He then proceeded to tell me that I needed to keep busy in retirement - and even consider going back to work, do something “less stressful”. :facepalm:

:LOL:
So it sounds like he failed his interview.

Back to the search for a new doctor!

Is this him?

Attachments

• p369784_b_v8_ac.jpg
    p369784_b_v8_ac.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 41
Image1515185441.518055.jpg
Went ashore in La Marin, Martinique and had a nice French lunch and then a quick stop at the bakery for some bread then back home to the house.

Here goes: the wills thread got me looking at my trust. I thought it was only one page, but it actually is 8. I had intended to copy over what Wells Fargo wanted when we settled my mom's house. But I had a glaring error in there so I had to retype it, take it down to UPS to be notarized, and then let my son know that it was different. I also reminded him where the key to the safe is just in case.

I have the tax forms from 2013 to 2016 in the safe still. I guess I could shred 2013 now? But I had to contest my W2 that year as my employer only reported two months of income. I have wage stubs verifying all income so that was an easy one for the IRS to resolve. But I don't want to shred that file just in case it comes back and bites me later on.

Even without shredding that 1" thick return I still have a bucket of papers to go. I swear those things multiply in the safe all by themselves :)

I better get my eyes checked.
You better just sink into your own experience! Qualia!!

Ate my black eyed peas so 2018 s/b good.
Whatabout collards...the "foldin' mony"?

hounded me via telephone and email for months to renew.
DD, new car owner and the nicest person to people on the phone finally gave them a few choice words. She said they just don't give up!

That was my thought although I'd never heard or seen it when I took the photo. In person it was much more dramatic! The green and pink really popped. That's the only reason I took a picture of clouds(we see them, somedays).
Returning to this subject, check the picture. You see different colors, I see Minnesota.

I'd like to see how you are doing this. Maybe a separate thread?
+1. And no excuses for it's not yet baked. We want to see your thought process as you get more facts.

... I was so upset the first day that I ground my teeth and broke out an old filling so now I have to get a root canal and crown.
That's a bit of really crummy bit of 2018 news. I hope your lost pet thing gets resolved.

View attachment 27531
Went ashore in La Marin, Martinique and had a nice French lunch and then a quick stop at the bakery for some bread then back home to the house.
By "house", you mean "boat"?

And so not to break from the purpose of the thread, I soldered-in a grounded power cord for my 1970's tube amp (had just a 2 conductor cord). The thing had a pretty loud 60 cycle buzz. Just testing, I grounded it with a chunk of wire and the buzz was gone! So I soldered in a nice grounded 18 AWG cord... no buzz!

Attachments

• minnesota.jpg
    minnesota.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 44
Spent most of the day in an AARP tax class in preparation for this years taxes. We will prepare taxes for seniors and low income taxpayers.
Then went to Bevmo to pick up a bottle of Highland Park Magnus single malt scotch.
The finished off the day with a trip to the supermarket to take advantage of a sale on boneless skinless chicken breasts. DW calls them "Dolly Breasts" after Dolly Parton because they are very large.
The lady in the meat department started calling them that too, but got into trouble for doing that.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom