Class of 2022

Getting closer is getting harder.

Is anyone else having a difficult time going to the office as your retirement date gets closer?

I returned to w*rk after a glorious 10 days of completely unplugging from everything while camping at the beach. The first 3 days I slept 12 hours each night, a novelty for me since I rarely sleep through the night. After returning to w*rk, I can barely make it through a day with any enthusiasm. Lots of fake smiling and thoughts drifting.

Today marks 7 months until my retirement day. I have my various countdown calendars and financial wickets to keep me inspired as I segment out these last 7 months, but darn, it is difficult. I guess the bs bucket has overflowed and the small taste of freedom is distracting.

Any words of wisdom to help me make it to the finish line, sense of humor intact?

Is anyone else having a difficult time going to the office as your retirement date gets closer?

Any words of wisdom to help me make it to the finish line, sense of humor intact?

I wish I had some advice. I find I have the same problem - to the point that I am thinking of moving up my date a few months to my birthday. It is tough to stay fully engaged when talking about w*rk plans that I know won't impact me. So no words of wisdom, but you are not alone.

It’s getting more difficult to be motivated with just a year left. I have 2 high visibility, high stress Programs right now with tight deadlines. Megacorp tossed the 2nd one my way in April as it was failing miserably and needed a rescue. I’m at the point where I’m seriously considering saying goodbye to Corporate life in January 2022 rather than October 2022 and giving up that last year of bonus $$ to sweeten the retirement pot.

I added myself for March 2022. The BS bucket is getting full.

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 2022
Escapevelocity - Feb 2022
kaudrey - Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Sean Pizzle - March 2022
Aiming_4_55 - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
Pompanobeach - April 2022
fassmac - April 2022
Goingcamping - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
Present Aside - April 2022
YVRRocketSurgery - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
cynicalbuthopeful - 1 May 2022
Jeffman52 - May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
retire48in2018 - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
David3 - June 2022
Mrs & Mr Bustergordon - 30 June
Silent Walker - July 2022
Skyward1 - July 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
firemediceric - October 2022
mountainsoft - December 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Dreams of Freedom - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - XX 2022
cyber888 - XX 2022

Informally told the boss about my July 2022 plan a few weeks ago. Wanted to give him ample time to decide about a successor. Boss acted like was not even slightly surprised. For sure, the days seem to pass impossibly slow since then. All kinds of issues to fight, from labor shortages to supply chains falling apart. My job has always been much about trouble shooting and problem solving, but right now some days are just overwhelming. From today's perspective, July seems soooo far away yet. But the golden hand cuffs (vesting schedule) are very tight.

I wish I had some advice. I find I have the same problem - to the point that I am thinking of moving up my date a few months to my birthday. It is tough to stay fully engaged when talking about w*rk plans that I know won't impact me. So no words of wisdom, but you are not alone.
Same here...it made me push my date up by a couple of months. It is so hard to stay motivated when the end is so near.

I tend to agree re motivation, but as we now enter winter time and shorter days/ dark nights that enables me to look forward to a spring finale. My vacation days and part-time working will see me through, I am sure. I may plan to keep most vacation days until the end and finish a month earlier than planned.

Motivation has been a struggle for me too for a few months. Mentally, I just want to make it to the end of the year (/December which I've booked off) which allows for most of the key incentives to lock in. Then I'll reassess if I have it in me to keep going to my original target in April or move it up. I'm kind of hoping that taking December off will recharge me enough to get to April so I can snag a few more smaller incentives.

Informally told the boss about my July 2022 plan a few weeks ago. Wanted to give him ample time to decide about a successor.

Wow, that is a lot of notice.
I was going to let my boss know informally at the 6 month mark and give formal notice at the 3 month mark but decided to skip the informal notice.

---

Edit: Just hit the 200 days to go mark!

Last edited:
Funny enough, being deemed critical at work has kind of screwed me.

The company merged with another very large company a few years back. Well, a couple of weeks ago, the announced that about 3/4 of the office I work out of will be offered a job in NY or Dallas from Ohio OR a severance package. The package includes working until May 2022 (see my retirement date). I was not offered a package and will be allowed to continue to work remote for as long as I want to.

My wife got a bit wild eyed because although she seems onboard with May 2022, when this become more real she started having second thoughts. So she was glad I was not caught up in the severance.

The other downside is my entire team will be taking the package so I have to hire and help train people that will be working in Dallas, that actually report to me (at least for now).

Corporate America....:mad:

Not set on a date yet, but my bucket is overflowing!

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 2022
kaudrey - Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Sean Pizzle - March 2022
Aiming_4_55 - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
fassmac - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
Jeffman52 - May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
David3 - June 2022
Skyward1 - July 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - XX 2022
cyber888 - XX 2022

ecowtent-XX 2022

Motivation has been a struggle for me too for a few months. Mentally, I just want to make it to the end of the year (/December which I've booked off) which allows for most of the key incentives to lock in. Then I'll reassess if I have it in me to keep going to my original target in April or move it up. I'm kind of hoping that taking December off will recharge me enough to get to April so I can snag a few more smaller incentives.

Although I'm not in the class of 2022 (hopefully 2023....is there a thread for that yet?) the motivation/ mental engagement struggle is one that I have been thinking about. Reading through many of the comments here it seems like this is a challenge that many go through during their time from "announcement" either formal or informal until departure date. I will read more when the time gets closer for tips on how to manage that motivation factor.

I was on a Teams call today, as part of an implementation team (I'm on the finance side) for a new major system we are purchasing/ installing. The time frame for completion is the fall of 2023. I was actually thinking "man, I probably won't be here" for the completion of the project. Hopefully it will keep me adequately engaged through my retirement.

Planning on June 30, 2022 as my last day of w*rk

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 2022
kaudrey - Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Sean Pizzle - March 2022
Aiming_4_55 - March 2022
Dean56 - March 2022
fassmac - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
mmurphy111 - April 2022
Jeffman52 - May 2022
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
David3 - June 2022
Exrook - 30 June 2022
Skyward1 - July 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Panda Bear - XX 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - XX 2022
cyber888 - XX 2022

ecowtent-XX 2022

It's not final yet, but I am planning to change my retirement date to June 2023 from June 2022. It's primarily financial, as my pension made a big jump from 2021 to 2022 (19K) and then another big jump from 2022 to 2023 (12K). It's just a lot to leave on the table. Plus, it pretty much solves our medical insurance issue (in 2023, dh can start medicare and I will get 4 years of free medical premiums, taking me to medicare as well).

I have mixed feelings......on the one hand, I know I should be excited and wanting to retire ASAP. But with only working a 50% contract and being able to flex my work days each week, it seems crazy not to wait.

It's not final yet, but I am planning to change my retirement date to June 2023 from June 2022. It's primarily financial, as my pension made a big jump from 2021 to 2022 (19K) and then another big jump from 2022 to 2023 (12K). It's just a lot to leave on the table. Plus, it pretty much solves our medical insurance issue (in 2023, dh can start medicare and I will get 4 years of free medical premiums, taking me to medicare as well).

I have mixed feelings......on the one hand, I know I should be excited and wanting to retire ASAP. But with only working a 50% contract and being able to flex my work days each week, it seems crazy not to wait.
Under those circumstances, I would do exactly the same. It's great that it's only half-time with flex days - a great way to ease into retirement.

Informally told the boss about my July 2022 plan a few weeks ago. Wanted to give him ample time to decide about a successor. Boss acted like was not even slightly surprised. For sure, the days seem to pass impossibly slow since then. All kinds of issues to fight, from labor shortages to supply chains falling apart. My job has always been much about trouble shooting and problem solving, but right now some days are just overwhelming. From today's perspective, July seems soooo far away yet. But the golden hand cuffs (vesting schedule) are very tight.

I feel your discomfort! One thing my wife and I did when I had about 9 months to go: At the end of each one month milestone, we went out to a really nice dinner together and celebrated. It gave us, especially me, a closer end reward to look forward to (and enjoy) during those excruciating final laps.

-BB

Milestone achieved today- 50 working days left to vocational freedom :dance:

Only 6 months to go.

I like the idea of a monthly celebration as I continue my countdown or as I countdown each ten days. :)

Firmly on the glide path and hoping it’s a smooth descent.

My backfill role was just posted yesterday. Things are getting real now! I do hope they can find someone good relatively quickly, but the job market is so hot right now it may take some time. I am targeting year end (which I moved up from Feb 2022) but did tell my boss we can discuss the final date in early December. So who knows, I may end up finishing in Feb anyway.

I think end of Feb is my drop dead date so if they haven't found a replacement by then, it will be their problem to manage from there.

Benefits Enrollment

Our benefits enrollment period is starting tomorrow.

I told my boss my target end date was 12/31/2021 but I would be flexible and continue through the end of January if it helped wrap up loose ends. I am thinking it is likely she will want me to stay on as long as possible unless they luck out and find a backfill candidate right away (unlikely - it was just posted and these roles take a while to find the right fit).

After FIRE I intend to go on my SO/Fiance's benefits at his work. However, they impose a surcharge if the spouse/domestic partner is eligible for coverage through another employer (which I would be if I extend through January). So I am thinking I keep my medical coverage going (and opt out of dental, vision, LTD, etc) in case I do work through the end of January. Then once I finally FIRE I can use that voluntary termination as a special event to join SO's insurance.

As others have mentioned, it feels like these days and weeks are dragging along...so slowly...

I have been hinting for months but I think they have not picked up on it clearly. I was more blunt yesterday with my boss and told him likely Q1 2022. I am not ready to give him my actual notice (saving that for Dec 7th) and my last day will be my birthday in Feb. I had planned on April 1st but I am not sure I have the patience for that. No real reason for my birthday as anything after Jan 1 is all I need to lock in my 2021 incentives and a fresh load of vacation days.

It was weird doing the last benefits enrollment for work but I am sure I will get used to the marketplace annual enrollment process too.

The missus' benefits are way better than mine so I generally opt out of all the optional benefits at my workplace and get credits back as a few extra dollars in pay. However, it does have a couple of annual single use perks that's I'm going to snag right after 2022 enrollment happens a few weeks into year, before I exit in April. Milking every last bit! :LOL:

I still have a few days until I hit the 6 month mark and 6 months seems like forever. So I'm just focusing on making it to late Nov when I can start my xmas vacation.

The missus' benefits are way better than mine so I generally opt out of all the optional benefits at my workplace and get credits back as a few extra dollars in pay. However, it does have a couple of annual single use perks that's I'm going to snag right after 2022 enrollment happens a few weeks into year, before I exit in April. Milking every last bit! [emoji23]

I still have a few days until I hit the 6 month mark and 6 months seems like forever. So I'm just focusing on making it to late Nov when I can start my xmas vacation.
For the last year I've been trying to think 'just focus on getting to the next holiday'. It helped to keep my mind wandering too far out in the future. But now that I'm down to 2.5 months it feels like it will take an eternity to get to Thanksgiving LOL.

I was curious on the reactions you have gotten from friends and family on telling them your FIRE plans. I will be 53 when I FIRE and I have 5 older brothers and only one is retired (but not by his choice - don't cry for him, execs do fine in those cases). They have been generally supportive as they know my backstory (widowed at 47 to someone out of my league). Recently I was at a wedding of one of my nephews and the topic came up. Their friends fell into two camps - excited for me or seemingly really annoyed. I see the same reaction with my in-laws and others. People are either excited and happy for me or horribly annoyed. My son suggests that the annoyance is simply jealousy since the annoyed people almost always fall into the older than me category and they wish they could have retired earlier.

Has anyone else experienced this? I really do not care what anyone else thinks about my plans but I find the response interesting. I would think you would be be happy for someone who gets out early. We are happy for the 65 year old, so why not the 53 year old?

Anyone else run into this or do I need to upgrade my social circle?

I would say the reactions run the whole spectrum but many family and friends are skeptical and think I'll be bored. I have a couple of friends who retired early and totally get it. I have some friends that are openly envious.

My SO is very supportive and that's really the only opinion that matters to me.

I think about 2 dozen family and friends know about my plan to retire next year.

The missus didn't think it was real/I was serious until about a year ago. Now she's supportive but wants me to figure out ways to stay active instead of laying on the couch all day.

Extended family: The topic occasionally comes up during family gatherings (which have obviously been more rare of late) just as a topic for small talk since they know I'm interested in personal finance and have been planning my exit for a while. "When are you retiring again? Mhmm. How are your investments doing? Any suggestions? ..."

Close friends: I've been letting the cat out of the bag with a few closer friends when talk about plans for next year. Reaction is mainly "Oh wow really?" but I don't dive too deep beyond high level plans. I have a couple of friends that are into personal finance and investing with whom we'll discuss our plans with each other in more detail.

Haven't told anyone at work yet. This where I'm curious what the reaction will be. I've decided to hold back telling my manager until the 3 month to go mark instead of hinting to him at the 6 month mark (which is officially tomorrow). I'm going to ask him to keep the news limited to a need to know audience because I hate the office chatter. We'll see how that works!

Back
Top Bottom