Class of 2022

It's official. I have turned in my 7 months notice (I'm a teacher so everything happens at the end of the school year) and told family members that I'm retiring in June 2022.

This year is seeing a big turnover at my school so it is fun to watch the reactions when people figure out that I am not leaving because I'm fed up with the school or because I'm frustrated by expat life during Covid. So far my favorite response was a co-worker who said it was bloody brilliant but don't talk to her husband because he would want to do it!

Congrats! It is nice to get the news out there.

I’ve not told anyone yet at mega corp my plans for end of year 2022 retirement. They’re talking about mid-term strategic plans now and my key role … little do they know.

I’ve not told anyone yet at mega corp my plans for end of year 2022 retirement. They’re talking about mid-term strategic plans now and my key role … little do they know.

Lol :) the same here but it’s with a mini corp.

Nor should you tell. I thought about giving a couple months notice, but I can see them walking me to the door early and messing up a couple vesting dates worth about $200K. So I will document as well as I can prior and help my manager (who is a good friend and I dont want to eff over) and my clients.

Sucks but I dont trust my Corp to play fair.

I guess that is a small side benefit to working in a school; there is no way they will kick me out early nor can they realistically make my time harder.

I set up a call today with Vanguard (I do currently use their Personal Advisor services) to let them know I gave notice at work with a target end date of Dec 31st. They will start putting my regular contributions into my money market/spending fund and the same with year end dividends. The aim will be to keep that at $15K and I draw ~$5K/month for my regular expenses. They can then sell investments and replenish as I spend it, though I do have a couple of years in cash as a buffer in case the market tanks.

It looks like we have a good batch of candidates to backfill my role, and they can probably start right after New Year's. So it is looking more likely that Dec 31st will be my date and I may need to move out of this class and into the class of 2021! I will know for sure by early December.

I am getting so excited!!!

I will be giving two months notice before I quit. If I was old enough to retire, that would be standard. The worst case scenario is that I have to work the two months. The best case scenario is they decide to get rid of me. They would have to follow the severance policy which is between 30% and 60% of my annual income including bonus based upon 15 years of service. Since both of those are over 17% (2/12 of a year) I highly doubt that will happen as they are too cheap. This way I can help transition the information to whoever will be left. They likely won't be able to back fill so I don't have to worry about that. If they didn't have this policy, then I would not be so generous.

I've got a handful of financial tasks to accomplish leading up to and at retirement. Strange as this sounds, I'm looking forward to doing these mundane activities because it just means I'm that much closer to my retirement date.

My original plan was to give a kind of a hint/soft notice only to my manager at the 6 month mark in October but I changed my mind and am now determination to give my formal notice when I come back from xmas holidays in January which is 3 months lead time.

While 3 months is excessive notice in most circumstances, my megacorp is so slow at recruitment. I was supposed to transition off a project in late July as my team has taken on a different umbrella of work and a new team was supposed to take it on. However, they kept delaying the transition until they hired someone as a like for like replacement for me. That person just started this week and I'm heading off for holidays next week. :ermm:

30 working days left as I home in on vocational freedom.:dance:

Next milestone is the formal resignation.

So I guess I am staying in the class of 2022.

My boss is making an offer for a candidate to backfill my role but with allowing for them to give 2 weeks notice and a required HR orientation to complete that puts us at the holidays as the earliest this person would be able to start. My boss asked me if I would stay until mid-January to allow for a couple of weeks to overlap and start training the new person. I said sure no problem - its just a couple of weeks and my boss really appreciated my flexibility.

I suppose if this person doesn't accept the offer I could still go back to a Dec 31st end date - but my feeling is they'll accept.

A good class to be in. At least it’s only a few weeks and another pay cheque into the bargain.

Posted here and in Bogleheads:

Count me in - will be giving notice in March for an effective date of retirement meaning for me no longer being an employee and only doing interesting consulting jobs when I want to to keep my brain functioning. I will be living off my investments until my Reserve pension starts in 2024. Already have plans to follow around a favorite band on the US tour starting the Saturday of my first retired weekend. Will be moving back to USA, buying a car and a house...lots of stuff to do.

So many people to thank for getting here: Terhorst (You Can Retire at 35), Kaderlis, Tightwad Gazette, Millionaire Next Door, Clements ("I'm long on tuna fish and short on toilet paper"), Index Funds, Boglehead community, VPW, RPM, Early Retirement Forum, Doug Nordman, REWahoo, and decision to stay in the Air Force Reserves while still working at a full-time career (nice pension and healthcare benefits at age 60). I've had highly loaded mutual funds (USPA & IRA and another fund that ended up paying the broker more than me :-( ) and migrated to index funds riding many market ups and downs (1989, Dot Com bust, 2008, COVID) but always doing my best to save the maximum (and then some) I could in tax deferred and Roth vehicles as well as after tax, just staying the course. I've run every model there is to see if I can retire with as much as or more of a spending lifestyle than I have now as well as consulted several financial planners.

So, it is time. I have so looked forward to this decision. I've wanted to retire early since my late 20s; I had gotten there in my early 50s, but went back to work due to some personal setbacks. I will be just 58 (birthday in mid-March) when I am done, done, done with work :). (I'm mentally there already - heh).

Just got a call from my boss with my last bonus. It was very nice percentage and since I was leaving I was only banking on a puny little amount so this is all gravy.

If you had to choose an end date of January 14th (the Friday prior to MLK Day - which is a paid holiday for us) or January 17th (the Tuesday after MLK Day) - which would you pick?

The cheapskate in me is saying take the free paid holiday. Then the part of me that is so over w*rking is saying just throw in the towel early on Friday and go celebrate. The thought of having to drive in on Tuesday just to turn in stuff is really annoying.

Rather than go in April, I’ve decided on 6 May. Main reason is I get, 2 bank holidays, and 1.5 days annual leave for the new holiday year. So that’s almost 2 weeks holiday as I’ll be down to 2 days per week. And another pay check.

Take the free day

Already have plans to follow around a favorite band on the US tour starting the Saturday of my first retired weekend.

I've got somewhat similar aspirational travel plans. I want to travel local hockey team on some of their roadtrip as they typically have multi-game swings in California and the northeast.

(I'm mentally there already - heh).
Me too. :LOL:

If you had to choose an end date of January 14th (the Friday prior to MLK Day - which is a paid holiday for us) or January 17th (the Tuesday after MLK Day) - which would you pick?

I'm pulling the plug around easter. Good Friday is a paid holiday for all staff whereas Easter Monday is only a paid holiday for unionized staff. I'm planning the Saturday to be my official last day in order to get the Good Friday in and it's also the end of the pay period. However, I'm planning to drop off all my gear on the Thursday prior to Good Friday.

congrats all you early 2022'ers!
Caninelover, what would happen if you said the 17th and your give-a-care just broke completely on the 14th?
Nothing. That's right. It is not like you won't take a call or two to grease the transition. If you can't stand it anymore on the 4th or the 5th that is all good too :D

congrats all you early 2022'ers!
Caninelover, what would happen if you said the 17th and your give-a-care just broke completely on the 14th?
Nothing. That's right. It is not like you won't take a call or two to grease the transition. If you can't stand it anymore on the 4th or the 5th that is all good too :D
You're completely right. It makes 100 percent sense.

I just always had the vision of my last day being on a Friday. But, after FIRE, I probably need to re-adjust that thinking to every day is a Friday!

Which band?

OMD. I saw them in Brighton, England, a couple of weeks ago (great show, Scritti Politti opened) and have tickets to one of their Royal Albert Hall gigs London in March (that's part of the reason why I am waiting until April to pull the plug - I currently live in Europe and it is easier to get to UK from Germany than US).

I'm planning on going to at least four of their shows in the USA, while I also do a road trip across the USA visiting family and friends I haven't seen in several years: St Petersburg, FL; Austin, TX; Oakland, CA and Los Angeles. The venue in Austin is where they film the Austin City Limits show; Los Angeles (their last US show) is at the Greek Theater, a beautiful outdoor smallish venue in the hills near Pasadena.

I lived in the LA area in 1989 when the iconic Depeche Mode, Thomas Dolby and OMD concert played at the Rose Bowl - unfortunately I missed it. So, I am now trying to make up for my un-misspent youth :)

You'll have to pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical and wait until it actually happens to believe it. :D

The second time is the charm! :)

Hey, at least I named you as one of my mentors....grumble, some people just can't be pleased ;-) ;-)

No, I am really done this time....lots of things happening that are pointing to "runaway, RUNAWAY!!!!!!!"

Hey, if you like OMD, maybe you can meet me in Austin when I go see them in concert :) :)

Out here (Army saying....) - B

OMD brings back a lot of memories. I discovered them in high school after If You Leave caught my attention in Pretty in Pink. A few of their songs like Secret and Dreaming captured how I felt about a girl I was smitten with during those years. :LOL:
Looks like they're coming to town in May. I may have to go see them myself and drag the missus along to reminisce and tell her stories about my high school crush. She loves hearing stories of my dorky years. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom