Bucket List Splurge--Anyone done this?

Nope, nearest thing I've done was a simulated skydiving at an indoor skydiving place in Vegas.
a lot of fun

I haven't done anything like that but I did experience periods of weightlessness in a Citabria and a Decathlon during some acrobatic training. The periods of weightlessness were more like 5-10 seconds as I remember, it was quite a while ago. And we stayed strapped in.

One part I do remember was pulling up from the dive and going ballistic, and dropping a pencil in front of me, then flying the airplane around the now-weightless pencil. I was surprised that control could be that precise.

And even now renting a single-engine airplane with an instructor would be a lot cheaper than $5k. It does look like it'd be a lot of fun!

Yea, you could get a private pilot license for about 5k. All the weightlessness you can handle.

A surfer friend that I see most mornings on my beach walks is working on a printer for the space station. He was super bummed that he didn't get to go on the vomit comet when they tested it. I guess paper feeds work different without gravity LOL.

IMO no one in their right mind would pay that kind of money to ride on the Vomit Comet. :sick:

Haven't been in my "right" mind for years! Where's the fun in that?:greetings10:

I haven't done anything like that but I did experience periods of weightlessness in a Citabria and a Decathlon during some acrobatic training. The periods of weightlessness were more like 5-10 seconds as I remember, it was quite a while ago. And we stayed strapped in.

One part I do remember was pulling up from the dive and going ballistic, and dropping a pencil in front of me, then flying the airplane around the now-weightless pencil. I was surprised that control could be that precise.

And even now renting a single-engine airplane with an instructor would be a lot cheaper than $5k. It does look like it'd be a lot of fun!

Yeah, I was a pilot for years, SEL, IR, had some aerobatics & some adventurous trips, float plane instruction & a flight in a Stearman. All good, but this something else.

Hey, I did say "bucket list" and "splurge"!

IMO no one in their right mind would pay that kind of money to ride on the Vomit Comet. :sick:

Blow that dough!

Oh wait, market corrected. Never mind. :LOL:

I did a zero G flight for my 40th bday. Usually you can get it for $3k (instead of stated price $5k) if you wait for specials. It was fun, but questionably worth the cost vs things like skydiving and bungee jumping that cost $200. But zero g definitely whet my appetite for going into space in a few years.

I've always wanted to do that, since reading about it at 8 years old. I knew it was commercially available but not the cost. I'd consider it.

However, DW thinks she'd rather spend two days in an airplane to go sit someplace where everyone vomits cause they don't understand how to drink.

Maybe time for separate vacations.

Yea, you could get a private pilot license for about 5k. All the weightlessness you can handle.

Don't even have to go all the way to a pilots license ask for some stall training, you can experience it. (It is part of learning how to land as a landing is done at close to stall speed) I did this at about 6 hours in to taking lessons, but stopped as flying was to nerve racking. Note that you can also (if the plane is so rated) pull g forces by doing highly banked turns, a 60 degree bank generates 2 g for example.

Back
Top Bottom