Guy who retired at 37 following MMustache is miserable

I had a MMM Phase ca 2013-14 when he was posting his best stuff and before he had a lot of money. MMM jumped the shark for me when he posted about “how to give away $100,000”. I suddenly couldn’t relate anymore, which happens, ironically, when the best of the ER bloggers, podcasters and authors succeed and, understandably, start writing about their new lifestyles. Fine, and hats off, but I related more to their pursuit years.

Then there’s the crowd of young wannabbees who are indeed pursuing but, usually, I’m much further ahead than them and so have less to learn. I still read some of that genre but spend more time here for tips from every day savers and investors, like me, living less-curated lives. The other and most radically positive change in the last few years for me was...wait for it...getting a different manager. Working for a happier person removed most of the dark cloud over my otherwise good-to-enjoyable career and my FIRE obsession dissipated after I set some more goals for myself and went about achieving them. Before, I was reporting to the CEO, someone who didn’t understand my work, which was frustrating. I found a manager in my field, even though I went from VP back to director to do so. Fine, let my manager deal with the ones above who don’t get what we do.

Most days, like the article opened with, I actually do feel fine and pretty joyful at work again, once I’m rolling through the day and as we accomplish big things as a team. Meanwhile, DW is taking a year off and gardening and sleeping late due to needing to get the hell away from an entirely toxic and inept new boss, and I will instantly do the same if my manager retires and I get a micromanager or something else changes to upset the apple cart. Either of us have the means and motivation to be outta there when things change for the worse. To us, that’s the joy and power of FI at this stage in our mid 50s- FLEXIBILITY provided by valuable skills, low debt and abundant FU money.

Last edited:
MMM jumped the shark for me when he posted about “how to give away $100,000”. I suddenly couldn’t relate anymore, which happens, ironically, when the best of the ER bloggers, podcasters and authors succeed and, understandably, start writing about their new lifestyles. Fine, and hats off, but I related more to their pursuit years.

That's a pretty on point comment too.

While I get the post was not serious, I could easily see a much different version of that post being completely true for some people. The more time I spend on MMM forums, the more I feel bad for some of the people. For a too-large number of the people posting there, FIRE is the ONLY goal, and getting there at ANY cost is acceptable it seems.

You love cars? Who cares? They cost money! Sell your cars and bike everywhere!

You hate biking? Who cares, it's free and it's exercise so do it!

You love going to the beach and traveling to see other cultures? Read about them for free at your local library instead!

You love good steaks? So what, being vegan is cheaper! Give up meat and eat lettuce instead or you deserve a face-punch!

You spend more than $25k/year:confused: Cut out all that waste Mr. Spendypants!.. and have a face-punch while you're at it!

Seems that many are willing to give up, and recommend others give up, the things they enjoy most in life. Work 2-3 jobs (err... side hustles), forego even socializing with friends if it isn't free or they can't find a way to make money doing it, etc... just to "retire" (which means go work a job they may like better for a lot of them) as fast as possible.

The concept of "live now AND later" seems to get lost in the message by many.

One of those who finally "gets there" and realizes they gave up years of enjoyment just to retire with so little they still can't do what they really enjoy is eventually going to make a post with a similar title to that satire piece imo.

I like your view. I don’t want to give up some perks by Fire-ing early.

I like your view. I don’t want to give up some perks by Fire-ing early.
It's not just perks, either; I am SO glad that I was able to afford my five dental implants. I am sure I will end up with more. But anyway, having some of my crummy teeth replaced with solid, firm, functional, beautiful teeth that work is a wonderful experience that sure isn't cheap, and wasn't in my original retirement planning.

I admit that it's very nice to be able to afford delicious steaks to eat with them, too. :D

Back
Top Bottom