Use Alexa/OKGoogle?

• Yes

Votes: 77 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 77 50.0%

• Total voters

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Time to check in again, to see if there were any more Alexa/OK Google users. Skills for Alexa now top 35,000.

Last edited:
Not I. I'm in the group that just isn't certain that someone would be always able to listen.

Rich

Son uses Alexa. I notice he tends to yell at her when she fails to comply with his request. Amusing to say the least.

Time to check in again, to see if there were any more Alexa/OK Google users. Skills for Alexa now top 35,000.

not me i have device cameras ( physically ) blocked unless i actually need to use them , and unnecessary microphones disabled as well .

i have enough issues with spell-checkers that claim to correct to English/English maybe English/NZ might work better .

She was the Christmas gift of the year last year in my set of friends - all given by our 25-35 year old children.

I love having her around. She sets timers for me, wakes me up in the morning, tells me what time it is in the middle of the night without my moving my head from the pillow, plays "meow-meow" with my cats, converts ml to fluid ounces, does math, gives me the weather forecast, translates things for me, gives me definitions of words, plays NPR programs, and finds and plays music for me on Spotify.

The other night I said good night to her. She said "Good night. Sleep tight".

Last edited:
I've disabled the 'ok google' thing on my phone.... I will tap the mic icon if I want to "talk a question" to my phone.... which I don't do often. I don't want it always listening for the prompt.

This is in part because my 15 year old son uses ok-google for EVERY random question. He kept turning on my phone while I was driving. Very annoying.

He wants an Alexa also, I told him no.

We have an Echo at the mountain house, an Echo in the kitchen of the main house, and an Echo Dot in the MBR of the main house. I use Alexa to make lists, set timers and reminders, and play music. We also get weather forecasts, sports scores, and answers to random questions. At the main house, she controls a few lamps.

The timer and shopping list functions are my favorite.

DD gave me an Echo last week for my birthday (she admitted it was a regift as she already has one, which she uses all the time). I might set it up but I feel like I will be cheating on Siri.

We use Alexa daily, primarily to remind DH to take his two meds...and to tell us a corny joke now and then. Occasionally, we throw other questions at her, after seeing suggestions via email.

Alexa was a gift from DD.

For a long time I thought Alexa was something I wouldn't use and had little interest in it. But, when we bought our current house the sellers commented to me how much they used Alexa and it got me interested. Then my hairdresser mentioned the same thing. There were some Echo Shows on sale at the time so I bought some. Currently have 4 Echo Shows, one Echo Plus and one regular Echo. We are really just getting started using. But, some of the things I've done so far:

1. Use it as in house intercom. DH and I have office at opposite ends of the house. We routinely use our respective Echo Shows to talk. Since it has a screen we can see each other as well or show the other something in their office. We used to talk on Skype when in our respective offices. Now we just use Alexa.

2. Add stuff to the shopping list. This is a small thing. But, sometimes DH will mention to me, for example, that we need to buy X at the grocery store. I immediately tell Alexa to add to the shopping list (he is getting better about doing this himself).

3. Act as an alarm or timer. I especially use it as a timer in the kitchen.

4. Act as speakers to play music. WE have Amazon music and you can ask for a specific type of music and Alexa will play it.

5. The Show can play music videos. Also, can watch Amazon Prime video on it.

6. Answer questions, give the weather, etc.

7. Use as a monitor when away from home. When away from home I can drop in to the rooms that have the Echo SHow and look in them. If lucky I can see a cat.

8. Control many functions of the security system (you can't arm the security system but not disarm).

9. Get my Fitbit stats.

10. -- Something I have not yet done but the prior owners did was to use it to control their smart lights.

I have an Echo in my bedroom and one in the living room. I listen to news, weather reports, Audible books, music, also have a few smart lights and outlets, and use it as a timer.
I also put one in my Mom's Assisted Living apartment and use it to communicate with her. Either of us can call the other, and I can also call her on it from my cell. She is 96, and the "hands-free" aspect of the Echo is much easier for her to deal with than the telephone.

DD gave me an Echo last week for my birthday (she admitted it was a regift as she already has one, which she uses all the time). I might set it up but I feel like I will be cheating on Siri.

:2funny:

DD bought me an Echo 18 months ago, and 6 months back we bought a Dot for the bedroom. We use them mostly for turning lights on and off, adjusting the heating, adding things to the shopping list, music and radio (we have poor radio reception where we live so waking up to a decent radio station is an unexpected bonus).

I think we have 5 Alexa echoes in the house. We love them. I use them for news, music, everyone adds groceries to the shopping list. Super useful to us.

DW just got an echo show for her, her mom and her siblings so they can all drop in on mom, who has dementia. It’s kind of fun and works pretty good for the intended purpose. DD already had an echo, so she is using the show the same way, but we like dropping in on her because she’s the DD with the three grand kids.

Voted "no" as I am not sure what it is and really do not care.

I don't know and I don't care. Those are my answers to many, many questions including this one! :cool::D

Have owned an Echo for three years and mainly use for timer, alarm, music, and now adjusting thermostat. Better half also uses for recipe portion adjustments. Is it nice to have- yes! Could I survive without it - yes.

Am in the process of preparing an elementary course in the simple use of Alexa, to offer to residents in our CCRC.
Those who are familiar with the male/female/couple relationships in a retirement living situation will know that there are many widows and widowers who spend much of their time alone in their rooms. While not a perfect solution to loneliness, I believe this technology offers a path to a happier, more social and interactive life in the waning years.
One has only to spend time with an elderly person who is living a solitary life to understand the sadness and fragility of who we might call a "loner".

Still a ground floor part of the future, but the possibilities are endless. An educational breakthrough already, with interactive courses in many disciplines. a possible world changer for all levels of education. Assistance and new vistas for the blind. Amelioration for long term incarceration, to reduce costs and maintenance. Psychological assistance and interaction for the mentally disturbed. Hope and training for the indigent.

Limits only by the imagination. Tens of thousand "skills" already and growing exponentially. Imagine... a financial advisor... steeped in the combined knowledge of experienced brilliance.

An open doorway to artificial intelligence and an everywhere exposure to the worst problems that plague the world... war, the environment, disease, poverty... and the limitations of posed by the inaccessibility of knowledge.

And... for most here, to happen in our lifetime.

Cost $39.95

Last edited:
Received an Echo Dot as a door prize. We had it set up for about a year, but after the initial novelty, we'd get frustrated when it would not provide an adequate response to our queries and force us to go to Google on a phone for an appropriate answer. After realizing that no one in the house even bothered to ask Alexa for over two month period......everyone would just grab their phone for an answer, I boxed it up and it is sitting on my desk until I get around to trying to sell it on Ebay. Good idea, half assed implementation and added security concerns.

We don't have this technology, yet. Though, probably getting close to pulling the cord, perhaps for the year-end holidays.

I use it to find out the weather and get a quick news report (which i usually cut off early). Occasionally, I use it to get information such as "Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?", and, all to often, Alexa can't find a good answer. Overall, I find it a disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom