Network Hacked

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
Yesterday we were having all sorts of computer issues. Our ISP said we likely had a virus. I ran ScanGuard, Norton, and McAfee. All seemed fine for a while. Then we had an error message from Microsoft and couldn't get into the net at all. They had a support number to call. The support person sounded offshore (India) but seemed helpful. At one point I asked if it was a scam. He replied "no sir, I assure you not". They were logged into my computer and showed me some screen that showed 29 users had been accessing my account since 2017. He said they could fix it for $269 based on the number of intruders. He then said I could get extra protection for another $400. I balked at that and said just fix it for the lower cost. I was completely skeptical. I could watch what they were doing on my screen and they spent five hours cleaning it up. They also put some new tools on my pc. They gave me a phone number to call if I had any problems. I can contact them every month for the next year for a free checkup. Today I can say I am very happy with what they did. My laptop is running like brand new and no annoying popups. I feel very lucky we seemed to find a legitimate service. They even called this morning to make sure it was working correctly.

It juat made me think how dependant we all are on our computers and internet. We do all our banking, most purchases, and investments that way. And with the "go green" movement we do not receive paper statements anymore. Just try and imagine what life would be like without internet and computers. It just seems like a huge vulnerability when even our government can't protect against hacks.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Sadly, I am pretty sure that was a scam. Maybe you can cancel the payment on your credit card.

I don't recall ever having any problems that Norton, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, avoiding buggy websites, and a hard re-boot couldn't handle. Malwarebytes has often found malware that Norton didn't but I still pay for Norton.

I agree it was likely a scam. This happened to my FIL as well. Here is a link describing one of the scams similar to your siutation.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ws-virus/305fcb47-10dd-4b06-9a4d-37c867bd097c

"The popup with the telephone number you are seeing is the malware/adware issue on your computer. It's a new wrinkle on the cold call scams and the fake antimalware programs that were previously being installed on computers that we have heard about for years. Now the scammers are trying to get you to call them...."

I would bet a dollar the OP is now compromised.

Yes, “they also put some new tools on my PC.” How nice.

OP, call and report the charge to your CC as fraudulent. They CC companies have seen this before.

OP, I would take that PC to someone with the expertise to clean it up. There is no telling what the scammers installed. Botnet, future ransomeware, ... It could be really ugly. If the PC were mine I would probably wipe it completely and reinstall everything beginning with the operating system. Or, depending on value, junk it and buy a new one.

If you have the capability, block their phone numbers. The kind of help they are offering is help you don't need.

Yes, cancel the CC but that money is the least of your potential problems.

Yes, you have been scammed. That is a well known ploy. The error message from Microsoft was a bit of malware put on a compromised web page that made it look like it was coming from Microsoft. You are not only out the money but they installed something on your computer that could steal other info like passwords. I would not use your computer for any banking or other personal stuff until you have cleaned it out.

I recommend installing Microsoft's Security Essentials. It is free and is reliable. It will scan your computer and remove viruses.

“they also put some new tools on my PC.”

They probably loaded Malware onto your PC. This is an old time scam.

You not only got scammed (I'm sorry), but you gave them access to everything on your computer. You need to disconnect your machine from the internet, format and re-install windows which I'm betting you don't know how to do. Seek out a legitimate local business to assist you. I would start by changing all banking passwords and for the love of everything holy, don't do that from your now compromised computer.

You not only got scammed (I'm sorry), but you gave them access to everything on your computer. You need to disconnect your machine from the internet, format and re-install windows which I'm betting you don't know how to do. Seek out a legitimate local business to assist you. I would start by changing all banking passwords and for the love of everything holy, don't do that from your now compromised computer.
+1 and Holy cow! What OP did is very dangerous, worst thing is OP seems to think this is all legit.

OP - shut that computer down. Shut your network down. I wouldn't even want to start up again with the same router, unless I could be 100% sure it was clean (latest firmware re-installed), and not put on the network until all access passwords were changed to strong passwords.

Get some help, this is very bad.

If I'm scaring you, good. You need to take action.

-ERD50

At one point I asked if it was a scam. He replied "no sir, I assure you not"

And what answer would you expect from a scammer? "You got me! Have a nice day"? :nonono:

-ERD50

“they also put some new tools on my PC.”

They probably loaded Malware onto your PC. This is an old time scam.
+1

When your reporting tools like Norton don't report errors it's because they are compromised. First thing you do when you invade someone's property is to shut down any way to report on your actions. For computers that is disabling the programs that do that and replacing them with program that report fake news to all that listen. Then someone offers to help you with the problem.

Sorry, this type of scam is very old, with new actors. I'm sorry you were taken. If you don't know how to restore your machine please take it somewhere reputable.

Yesterday we were having all sorts of computer issues. Our ISP said we likely had a virus. I ran ScanGuard, Norton, and McAfee. All seemed fine for a while. Then we had an error message from Microsoft and couldn't get into the net at all. They had a support number to call. The support person sounded offshore (India) but seemed helpful. At one point I asked if it was a scam. He replied "no sir, I assure you not". They were logged into my computer and showed me some screen that showed 29 users had been accessing my account since 2017. He said they could fix it for $269 based on the number of intruders. He then said I could get extra protection for another $400. I balked at that and said just fix it for the lower cost. I was completely skeptical. I could watch what they were doing on my screen and they spent five hours cleaning it up. They also put some new tools on my pc. They gave me a phone number to call if I had any problems. I can contact them every month for the next year for a free checkup. Today I can say I am very happy with what they did. My laptop is running like brand new and no annoying popups. I feel very lucky we seemed to find a legitimate service. They even called this morning to make sure it was working correctly.

It juat made me think how dependant we all are on our computers and internet. We do all our banking, most purchases, and investments that way. And with the "go green" movement we do not receive paper statements anymore. Just try and imagine what life would be like without internet and computers. It just seems like a huge vulnerability when even our government can't protect against hacks.

Anyone had a similar issue?

I'm curious why you thought this was a good idea and are you sure you aren't pulling our legs. Don't EVER use a support number that just pops up on your computer screen. Unfortunately you weren't skeptical enough.

Someone from the gym did the same, but was smart enough to not pay for anything...

STILL, she allowed them into her computer to do who knows what...

WARNING>>>> Never call a number that pops up on your screen...

This happened to a very good friend of mine. She also fell for the Microsoft phone number and the helper she was connected to. Her CC were compromised as well as her checking account. I think after she thought everything was "fixed" she did her banking. This was awful. The bank did reimburse the funds (@$2000) and CC did not charge for fraudulent charges. She had to change her CC #'s, checking and savings acct. #'s, all her passwords. She's elderly with a slight dementia and told me about this. It took several weeks to sort out.

Even on my own PC I use the two stage log-in with rotating challenge questions to log into my bank account.

You were probably the victim of a CFP's side hustle. Those people are crooks.

These scammers called me. "Windows Support", haha. I run Linux. Jerks.

These scammers called me. "Windows Support", haha. I run Linux. Jerks.

Someone left a message today on my cellphone asking me to call Apple support due to a potential hacking of my I phone. We are Android users.......

Someone left a message today on my cellphone asking me to call Apple support due to a potential hacking of my I phone. We are Android users.......

I would tell you how to avoid that sort of thing but I have to get moving. Sheriff's deputies are on their way to my house right now to arrest me for failure to ... well, something. Gotta get out to the store and buy some gift cards to bail myself out of this mess. :facepalm:

I have to say poor DH fell for this. He yelled that he needed a credit card because a nice lady was going to fix his computer that had been infected with the “blue screen of death” virus. He had already let her see his setup from wherever she was. His Macbook Pro, soooo unlikely to have a virus (and he of course had never heard of the blue screen of death). We ran to the Apple store, where a tech guy ran several things but said it was not infected and no programs had been put on it. He also said these are hit and run scams that typically only want the “fee” but don’t go into major felony computer crime and attract enforcement (not sure if that’s true or not). Since DH hadn’t given the nice lady his credit card info, at least that wasn’t an issue, but I’m sure the OP can protest it (the scammers don’t fix anything because nothing was wrong, so no need to pay them). They are scum.

While I agree with the comments about it being a scam, two things bother me. First, I wouldn’t think scammers would spend 5 hours on a computer. Second, called back in the morning? Really? Good customer service? Then I guess there’s a third thing - the computer is working better? The scam part makes sense, but the other things seem odd. Is it a polite scam to get in deeper?

While I agree with the comments about it being a scam, two things bother me. First, I wouldn’t think scammers would spend 5 hours on a computer. Second, called back in the morning? Really? Good customer service? Then I guess there’s a third thing - the computer is working better? The scam part makes sense, but the other things seem odd. Is it a polite scam to get in deeper?

He may be getting set up for the "next round" or just called to check in to make sure he still thinks this is legit while his CC is getting exercised heavily.

Oh, it makes perfect sense. They have found a sucker. Plow, plant, fertilize, harvest. They want the OP to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Computer working better likely to be confirmation bias/placebo effect.

Back
Top Bottom