2018 tax question - bought rental end of 2018, but didn't rent until 2019

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

I believe I know the answer - but, looking for some confirmation ...

Bought rental house mid December 2018, but didn't get it up for rent until 2019.

I would be able to deduct taxes paid on the property, and insurance paid on the property prior to the end of 2018 (it is simply a real estate transaction at this point), but I would NOT enter the property as a rental property as this would start the depreciation calculations (Turbotax).

Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks!

"2018 tax question - bought rental end of 2018, but didn't rent until 3019."

Wow, that is a long time.
:cool:

If the property is not “available for rent” it doesn’t go on schedule e. You kind of put yourself in a not so great tax situation by not atleast getting an ad on Zillow or Craigslist. You really want to position this property as a rental for 2018 with no income. You won’t take the loss but it will carry over. If you consider it not a rental you will lose some key deductions permanently. Specifically your non capitalized acquisition costs and recording and other taxes

I didn't RENT it until 2019 ... thats what I meant by up for rent ... sorry.

I tried to rent myself starting day after we closed, two days to clean - listed on craigslist and with cards in the area - gave up in January and listed with an agent and it was rented mid February.

Back
Top Bottom