2021 Investment Performance Thread

Made a big, poorly timed bet on the wrong EV stock so I’m only up 7% Ytd. I knew it was a risky situation but figured it doesn’t make any significant difference to us and it’ll either be a huge boon for the kids or a comparatively small loss that they won’t even know about.

KC, Hope you didn't sell it yet. EV stocks will still have their day! We're in the early innings! HODL as the Crypto crowd would say!

I can never see a true performance on Fido, PC shows your position performance well, but actual performance is screwed up when Schwab or Fido data is not updated. I use a simple beginning of the year balance and gain to date in the balances tab on PC. Its seems to be the most realistic way to see net YTD in one place.

OH....mine is only 12.78%, same about 80/20 now, but it was less in equities in the first part of the year more like 70/30 due to holding more preferreds that I considered like bonds.

KC, Hope you didn't sell it yet. EV stocks will still have their day! We're in the early innings! HODL as the Crypto crowd would say!

Oh no intention of selling Luvtoride. I probably got into EVs, solar, and weed stocks too early. Long term, as long as the individual companies I picked don’t go bankrupt, I’m still hopeful for a payday within the next couple of years.

Another month, another update

Jan 31: +0.35%
Feb 27: +7.37%
Mar 31: +10.24%
Apr 30: 12.4%, stock AA 76%
May 28: 15.74%, stock AA 79%
Jun 30: 17.89%, stock AA 78%
Jul 31: 17.62%, stock AA 79%
Aug 31: 19.47%, stock AA 77.8%
Sep 30: YTD 15.69%, stock AA 71.4%
Oct 29: YTD 21.7%, stock AA 65.8%
Nov 30: YTD 21.7%, stock AA 65%

I broke even for the month. However, in the middle of the month I was up 25.3%. So, I am down quite a bit from that high watermark.

What was good for me in November: semiconductor sector

What went down: nearly everything else, particularly energy, industrial metals, and mining.

+13.2% YTD with AA of 85/5/10.

For November -1.6%, with the best (least-worst?) performing account being the one we keep the majority of our 3+ year cash stash in.

BrianB

As of 12/4/2021, 10.98% on 40% bonds, 20% US large cap fund, 20% US small cap fund, 20% International equities fund.
Was up ~14% YTD a month or so ago, but I'm thankful for the 10.98%.

I wish there was a way for us to track our performance. We have accounts at E*trade, ally, Treasury Direct, Computershare and my wife is still contributing to her retirement account 401K.

I wish there was a way for us to track our performance. We have accounts at E*trade, ally, Treasury Direct, Computershare and my wife is still contributing to her retirement account 401K.

You can look at past monthly statements online at your brokerages to know the balance at each month end.

In order to compensate for withdrawals and new contributions, a while back Sengsational suggested a simple formula by Moneychimp.

Our balance is up 5% for the year, so I take a Mulligan on this month's report.

Pointby2,
If your accounts at multiple institutions aren't aggregated, then it is important to get all statements and find your asset allocation.

^^^ I use Quicken to provide an overall view of our investable assets, which are spread out over many accounts at different institutions. Not just the grand total of everything but Quicken also provides the AA of the whole mess. It knows about the bond and cash content inside MFs too. I don't know how up to date the info is, but am sure it's plenty good for my purposes.

PS. I don't trust Web sites enough to use any of them for account aggregation reporting. Each of my brokerages offers to do that if I let them have the account info at another institution, but no thanks.

It’s almost time for this thread to wake up again.

I finally finished making the moves in my retirement accounts that I’ve wanted. This involved placing the expected higher-return funds in Roth and lower-return in traditional. It was a slow process given where things were and my wish to avoid Roth conversions. It’s good to have that done, now to sit back and see what happens going forward.

My approach is greatly influenced by having no heirs so no big wish to leave a legacy beyond charitable organizations.

I’m not yet hit by RMDs but I suppose QCDs might be a good option when that happens.

Last edited:
Yes, time to wake up and go back to sleep. The end of each year is nothing like I imagined at the beginning. This was the year of consolidation, so I feel pretty good about that. The last two jobs' riches are now in a Schwab Rollover IRA.

I also just edited my instructions to heirs. I added sub-heads and better organized stuff.

For this thread I'll get the year-end financial statements and make one final report for the year. I guess you could call my system "Slowen." Don't need no Quicken!

It was interesting to check my allocation and performance over the last 15 years. It really kept me on track, and I could see monthly progress for most of that run. But I'm at the stage where the performance of index funds is "what it is" and not of concern. But for many others it is definitely worthwhile to track performance and stay in control.

Here's to 2022.
:popcorn:

I just checked, and as of last night, I'm up around 18.4% YTD. I can't get an exact total, because I have an old 401k with Boeing, that's being transferred to Fidelity, and it's currently not allowing me to check my balance. But, I know what its value was going in, and it probably hasn't changed too much. Plus, this old 401k is only about 1.7% of my total invested assets. I think it was split something like 50% Boeing stock, 30% in an SP500 fund, and 20% in a bond fund. So, whatever fluctuations this account makes, while I can't see its balance, isn't going to affect things all that much. Unless Boeing went bankrupt and the SP500 dropped to zero, but then I think I'd have bigger things to worry about than this particular 401k :p

Yes, time to wake up and go back to sleep. The end of each year is nothing like I imagined at the beginning. This was the year of consolidation, so I feel pretty good about that. The last two jobs' riches are now in a Schwab Rollover IRA.

I bet you’ll be happy you did that (consolidate). I only have two accounts that are targets for RMDs, one a traditional rollover IRA at Fidelity and the other a 457 account at T Rowe Price. At some point I’ll move the TRP over to Fidelity and let their computers chug away with the details. The fewer statements the better!

For the year, we're up 41% on 92.4/0.0/7.4/0.1 (stock/bond/cash/crypto). Truly grateful for such a strong year.

Markets are open tomorrow. I'll report at years end.

After the market closes tomorrow, everyone will be happy, so happy that
there will be a huge celebration lasting through the night. :dance:

I did mine today... isn't going to change much in one day. My capital preservation portfolio had a total return of 5.8% for 2021. I started the year at a 4/96 AA and added some SPY LEAP call options about mid year and my end of 2021 AA is 15/85..... but 38/62 based on notional value of the SPY calls.

Equities were 13.9% for 2021 and fixed income was 5.4%.

Our WR was 3.9% (2021 withdrawals divided by 12/31/11 portfoio balance) and that included a special withdrawal to buy a travel trailer. Absent that special withdrawal, our WR would have been 2.9%.

Back
Top Bottom