2023 Investment Performance Thread

On our Schwab portfolio with an AA of 68/28/4 equity/fixed income/cash we are..

YTD +4.89% ending January

I just added it all up, and here's my result...

1/31/2023: +7.08% YTD.

Let's hope we have a few more months like this! :D

+7.8% YTD. Sort of fun to have a bump up when I ran my EOM numbers with my morning coffee but it's just one mark on the chart so not too excited.

+5.08% on 2/1/23

Keeping it real for the end of January 2023. This is total portfolio value, not performance.

+4.17% for RLBGX 50/50 benchmark (that is performance).

+3.45% for our 50/50 portfolio.

What happened in January was a transfer of equity and cash to one child as a gift. Bills were also rather large due to OLED TV payment, dental surgery, and holiday presents.

Equity has climbed to 54%, and we can let that float to 60% without re-balancing. We're out of the retirement transition woods now, and going back to that 60/40 thing everyone talks about (and we had before retirement).
:LOL:

Jan '23: +9.1% with FOMC right around the corner, poised to raise interest rates. Here's hoping the market keeps going up.

Yeah spoke a little too soon, apparently my index fund didn't update yet.

Jan '23: +9.5% lol. I'll take it. Don't expect it to stick around though.

OK - +4.90% for the first month of the year. I'm quite delighted. Haven't had a month rally like this in a very long time.

Knocking on wood......

February 1st, 2023, I was up 5.05% from the first day of January 2023. On an ~80/20 AA.

Last edited:
Got to wonder if this is all sustainable. NASDAQ and tech leading the way. I dunno, does not seem good.

Most people are not interested in delving into the minutia of individual stock investing. For the vast majority of people they should stick to index funds.

Almost everyone here on this forum though is probably of the mind that they could, if inclined, develop personal investment strategies.
But again, even those predisposed towards investing, still may not want to devote the time/energy to eke out a few more basis points/quintiles of profit for their troubles.

As someone that relishes spending hours and hours of most days researching and planning out stocks to buy, especially now, compared to the last couple years. It is a lot of effort. I use finviz.com and a few other places to sort and analyze stocks to screen for potential investments.

I have funds in just about every possible asset class/category to some degree, though some are more from my index funds in my 401k.

Lately I have become rather obsessed with regional banks, they have a lot of great value, good dividends, a few are prime investments, great cash flow, low price to book value etc.

I could talk all day long about stocks and all the lists I keep and organize, hundreds of stocks.

I have an alphabetized list that grows by around 2-4 stocks a day.

Keep in mind that this does not mean I will ever invest in even a tenth of them, but I will sort through them every pay period and make investments accordingly.

Which also includes me potentially adding to previous investments too.

Most people are not interested in delving into the minutia of individual stock investing. For the vast majority of people they should stick to index funds.

Almost everyone here on this forum though is probably of the mind that they could, if inclined, develop personal investment strategies.
But again, even those predisposed towards investing, still may not want to devote the time/energy to eke out a few more basis points/quintiles of profit for their troubles.

As someone that relishes spending hours and hours of most days researching and planning out stocks to buy, especially now, compared to the last couple years. It is a lot of effort. I use finviz.com and a few other places to sort and analyze stocks to screen for potential investments.

I have funds in just about every possible asset class/category to some degree, though some are more from my index funds in my 401k.

Lately I have become rather obsessed with regional banks, they have a lot of great value, good dividends, a few are prime investments, great cash flow, low price to book value etc.

I could talk all day long about stocks and all the lists I keep and organize, hundreds of stocks.

I have an alphabetized list that grows by around 2-4 stocks a day.

Keep in mind that this does not mean I will ever invest in even a tenth of them, but I will sort through them every pay period and make investments accordingly.

Which also includes me potentially adding to previous investments too.

Just curious on how you use the site "Finviz" to research potential stocks to purchase.

Got to wonder if this is all sustainable. NASDAQ and tech leading the way. I dunno, does not seem good.

Well, not sustainable in that a 4% gain in the first month probably doesn't indicate a 60% gain for the year!:D

I consider it reversion to the mean. What goes up will come down, and vice versa, unless you're holding Bed, Bath and Beyond or Enron. I just try and weed out under-performers along the way, maybe take some profits when things are up, and try to keep my cool when the market tanks.

Well, not sustainable in that a 4% gain in the first month probably doesn't indicate a 60% gain for the year!:D

But it's nice to have a bit of thick(er) ice under our feet, no? At least a small downturn won't take us negative so early in the year....for a change.

Up 5.85% for the year as of 1/31/23. Up another 1.5% over the last day and a half. I had not been looking, for so many months. Now I'm back to checking regularly. Hope that doesn't jinx us all.

AA 50%/50%.

Back
Top Bottom