2023 workout thread

Music Lover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is for anyone that wants to post their day's workout. It might give you more incentive, it might give someone else some incentive. I'll start:

I've been lazy and had a couple injuries and am just getting back into it. We're currently in Mazatlán and I don't have weights but brought some workout bands. Today:

- about an hour total of walking
- 2 sets of 20 flights of stairs (320 steps) in our rental. That's in addition to the normal daily trips up and down the stairs
- 4 sets of 20 pushups
- 4 sets of 20 seated rows with workout bands

I quit running Oct 1 due to injuries and didn't exercise much for the next 3 months. Started weights / walking Jan 1. 1 hr walking on treadmill, getting off every 4 minutes for a set of 10 dumbbell exercises. 5 different weight exercises, 3 sets of 10. Alternating days of push/pull. Push exercises - skull crushers, triceps push back, overhead press, incline press, chest flies. Pull are standing curls, seated one arm curls, 1 arm rows, high pulls, lat raises.

Mainly just Pickleball 6x weekly on a competitive basis for around 4 to 5 hours daily.

I quit the gym when the pandemic struck and moved my workout to my house. This morning (and every 2nd, sometimes 3rd, day) I will do 15-20 minutes of intermittent sprints on a stationary bike. Then pullups followed by chinups (I am up to 9-10 pullups, followed a half minute later by about 4 chinups; then on alternate days I reverse the order). Next is a two minute plank, then pushups, then sit to stand and squats with weights. Then curls , flys, etc. with dumbbells. In the afternoon and on days I don't do the above weight routine, I do a bunch of Parkinson's specific stretches and calisthenics.

When the weather is nicer, I try to do a twenty mile bike ride most days. I switched to an ebike last September. It still provides a decent aerobic workout but it cuts the hills down to size and vastly improves the fun factor as I move through my 70s.

Mainly just Pickleball 6x weekly on a competitive basis for around 4 to 5 hours daily.
I have heard great things about Pickleball but it seems impossible to find a court in my area. I also hear that the competitive court hogs like you beat up the wussy newbies like me and tell us to get lost. ;)

Free Gym membership, every other day for about 45 minutes. Stairs for 300 stairs to start, cardio on treadmill for 25 minutes(3.5 with 5.0 incline) leg exercises on 3 different machines, and 2 arm exercises(I have bad shoulder from playing years of ball). I will also walk for 30 minutes around my home on off days with good weather. I also E-bike with SO when weather and her demeanor allow. It works for me and keeps my stamina up.

VW

I have heard great things about Pickleball but it seems impossible to find a court in my area. I also hear that the competitive court hogs like you beat up the wussy newbies like me and tell us to get lost. ;)

If you’re really interested, try the site below to find local courts. I think you’ll find pickleball to be one of the most social and inclusive sports around. I also play competitively, but just about everyone I know who plays welcomes new players.

https://www.places2play.org/

As far as exercise goes, pickleball serves as much of my cardio. I play ~3 times per week, which is down due to wear and tear on the joints. I do some light lifting every day to keep muscles relatively strong, as pickleball takes it’s toll. We have a treadmill and elliptical in my old home office space, so I don’t have many excuses for not getting in some exercise every week. Ever since the pandemic hit, I’ve walked golf courses, which I thoroughly enjoy, even in the Texas summer heat. I had always ridden in a cart prior to that and didn’t realize what I was missing!

Haha. Not me.
Actually in FLA, there are many Pickleball courts. I play in 4 different places. In 2 places, similar skilled players play together, while in 2 places it is a free for all.
I am one of the few players who will take on the much lesser skilled player on my side, even though it is very likely we will lose, as I then get 10% of the balls. I consider it a teaching moment, which I like doing (without charge).

It is a great sport and many folks who will never get pass a certain skill level, still have lots of fun.

Give it a shot. More strategic than tennis and can be played for many years.

I just walk until golf starts up

Yesterday - walk 12,485 steps
Today - walked 7,315 so far. I should finish near 10,000 today.

Did my standard gym workout of about 65 minutes today.

Started with 20-25 minutes on the elliptical machine, then 30 minutes of strength training at a rapid pace, than 10-15 minutes on the rowing machine.

Strength training is mostly machines, in 3 sets of 15 repetitions for each exercise.

Downhill sking 2.5 hours. Texture drywall and make messes in bathroom remodel 3 hours. Cleanup drywall mud messes .5 hours. Treadmill workout .5 hours

I have had mid thoracic back pain. I had X-rays today. Just some arthritis in the area of the pain. I’ve been working out 30-45 minutes since Jan 1st. Mix of weights and sprints on the elliptical. Two 2.5 mile walks. Was too much of a couch potato last year. I only missed one day of working out.

My goal is consistency, not intensity.

I continue doing exercises to activate my glutes and strengthen core. Also started using Hoist bench press, overhead press and lat pull down machines and I must say these machines are probably the best I've ever used. The only negative is that they all must be stacked with individual plates for the load vs pulling a pin and selecting your weight from a stack. Definitely increasing my upper body strength with this machine combo. I have backed away from dumbbell curls as between doing 35 lb curls and pickleball, I've developed a tennis elbow/wrist problem that has been a recurring issue over the last month+ and I am having a hard time getting it to go away. Of course I will not let that stop me from playing pickleball.

My goal is consistency, not intensity.

+1 This is my goal as well. I always feel better after a workout, but some days are harder than others to get motivated. One trick hat works is leaving my clothes out the night before. Another is to listen to a workout motivation video. Not every speaker will connect with you, but it helps me enough to get moving.

I have backed away from dumbbell curls as between doing 35 lb curls and pickleball, I've developed a tennis elbow/wrist problem that has been a recurring issue over the last month+ and I am having a hard time getting it to go away. Of course I will not let that stop me from playing pickleball.

I was dealing with something similar for awhile. Then for some reason, I tried a slip on brace, that I think is meant for your knee, while I exercised. I think the extra support helped, because it no longer “nags” me.

I was dealing with something similar for awhile. Then for some reason, I tried a slip on brace, that I think is meant for your knee, while I exercised. I think the extra support helped, because it no longer “nags” me.

Yes, I bought a sleeve from Selkirk during their black friday sale and have been using it in the gym and when playing and it has helped, but still I am not 100%.

I use Apple Fitness + at home. I have a $20 Elliptical from Facebook Marketplace.

I rotate between Yoga, Pilates, Core, Strength, HIIT, Elliptical and Stretching.

Becoming more flexible and stronger. Not heavy weight type strong. At 51, don't need that.

Variety, daily getting 10,000 steps or more, climbing 15 flights of stairs a day.

Pilates and Yoga are becoming my favorites over the past 2 years.

I've been on a strict keto diet for 14 days. Lost 4 lbs in the first 4 days. Haven't lost a pound in the last 10 days. My weight loss plan is stuck with 10 lbs to go.

I've been lifting weights and walking on the treadmill. I've been trying to stay away from running due to past injuries, but I see that I need to up the cardio. Going to start running on the treadmill Monday 3 times a week and see what happens, along with lifting weights.

My dog makes sure that I get at least four miles of walking/hiking with her each day. Then three hours of Pickleball, four days per week. DW plays too.

I've been on a strict keto diet for 14 days. Lost 4 lbs in the first 4 days. Haven't lost a pound in the last 10 days. My weight loss plan is stuck with 10 lbs to go.

I've been lifting weights and walking on the treadmill. I've been trying to stay away from running due to past injuries, but I see that I need to up the cardio. Going to start running on the treadmill Monday 3 times a week and see what happens, along with lifting weights.

As a runner, I’m sure you know this already, but maybe start off with a run/walk routine first. Then if all feels good, bump it up.
2 days a week I do a cardio/cross train workout. I’ll run on the treadmill for 1/2 mile, then every quarter mile, I’ll hop off do some sort of excercise then continue this up to 2 & 1/2 mile mark, then run out the last 1/2 mile to make 3 miles.

+1. Joining the thread for motivation
Usually do 8 miles of stationary bike (30 minutes) for cardio but this week, I'm walking 30-40 minutes/day. Need to increase either time or speed of walking
I'm very consistent with daily weight training (8 lb) for upper body, balance, and stretch (20 minutes)

As a runner, I’m sure you know this already, but maybe start off with a run/walk routine first. Then if all feels good, bump it up.
2 days a week I do a cardio/cross train workout. I’ll run on the treadmill for 1/2 mile, then every quarter mile, I’ll hop off do some sort of excercise then continue this up to 2 & 1/2 mile mark, then run out the last 1/2 mile to make 3 miles.

Yep I know to start off slow. In my 3 minute treadmill segments between weight sets, I plan to start out 1 minute walk then 2 minutes at a 12 minute / mile pace. That will make 15 minutes of walking, 30 minutes running and 15 minutes of weights in an hour cross training workout. Then eventually increase run time/ speed depending on how it goes.

A few miles when I went back to the alma mater to watch a basketball game.

Students aren't back yet, so it was creepy walking back to my hotel after the game.

I didn't see a soul on the fog-shrouded campus.

Yesterday: walked a total of about 1.5 hours

Today:
- 2 sets of 20 flights of stairs
- 4 sets of 20 pushups
- seated rows, 4 sets of 15 seated rows

Last month, saw a cardiologist for the first time due to an abnormal chest CT scan. She asked me, “How much exercise do you get?” I reluctantly said, “Yoga and Pilates group exercise 3 times a week. And walk 4 miles . . . about once per week.” I was going to add that I knew that was pretty inadequate and aspired to do more, when she bruskly said, “Good. You’re not sedentary.”

Back
Top Bottom