2022 workout thread

Down hill skiing yesterday and snow shoeing today. Who knew snow was so much fun! (Someone obviously, but not so obvious to inhabitants of the deep South)

Normal gym workout this morning; intervals on the treadmill followed by strength training.

Then when I was relaxing in the jacuzzi a friend called and invited me to a friendly “social” pace mtn bike ride with a couple other race buddies late this afternoon. Of course I said yes.

Riding pace started out chatty & social and then as expected quickly ramped up! Got a good workout but definitely feeling it.

Switched up my workout routine this week, spending more time in the saddle riding my gravel bike up my favorite dirt and gravel fire and logging roads. So far 124 miles and 12,000 ft of hills climbed this week.

Taking it easy tomorrow morning (Saturday) with a modest session at the gym and racing mtn bike on Sunday.

I haven't worked out in a couple weeks. Today I shoveled the driveway, thought that there was just an inch or so of snow so was going to use that as a warmup. But it was 3" or 4" plus drifting so it took almost an hour so that was my workout.

Nice day here in Iowa today, I have been out for two walks. For our second walk we went to a local lake that is about two miles around. Saw one bald eagle. I still want to do ten minutes of meditation and stretching, maybe after dinner.

Worked my part-time job today at the rock quarry. Spent the day retrieving rock, sand and gravel samples from the quarry and then moving them around in my lab for various tests. It’s a fun job and a workout at the same time.

...lower body w@rkout today...

got new best on incline leg of 470 lbs (not fully down due to lack of full ROM from old knee replacement) and increased knee extension lifts to 180lb... lower leg cable weights still at 100 (front/back) and 70 for side repetitions....then ~20 minutes on the stationary bike

(not too bad for me at >65...)
trying to keep core strength up

Last edited:
Still working out at home instead of the gym three days a week. 73 years old and mild Parkinson's Disease so I need to keep this up. Intermittent sprints on a stationary bike, mobility and balance exercise, push ups, pull ups, curls, planks. I'm doing 10 decent pull ups (12 chin ups), 40-45 push ups, 2 minute planks. The weather is starting to improve so outside bike rides are back in the picture - typically 20 miles. In addition I do a PD specific set of exercises daily.

Still working out at home instead of the gym three days a week. 73 years old and mild Parkinson's Disease so I need to keep this up. Intermittent sprints on a stationary bike, mobility and balance exercise, push ups, pull ups, curls, planks. I'm doing 10 decent pull ups (12 chin ups), 40-45 push ups, 2 minute planks. The weather is starting to improve so outside bike rides are back in the picture - typically 20 miles. In addition I do a PD specific set of exercises daily.

Geez, very impressive. I'd have trouble with some of that and I'm 20 years younger.

My wife has a neurological disease similar to PD. May I ask what specific exercises you do or could you just point me towards a relevant description ?

2 or 3 3 mile runs a week, 2 or 3 dumbbell workouts a week. 3 sets of 12 reps curls, oh press, tri’s, incline bench, rows. E bike 30 milers to start soon.

My wife has a neurological disease similar to PD. May I ask what specific exercises you do or could you just point me towards a relevant description ?
The daily exercises are LSVTBig and LSVTLoud. Here is a link to two people from the Cleveland Clinic demonstrating the type of LSVTBig exercise I do. They are quite simple and easy to do. LSVTLoud is voice training (PD is notorious for causing your voice to soften and swallowing problems to ensue.

In addition to those daily I participate a couple of times a week in a group class that is an offshoot of "Rock Steady Boxing," another PD specific exercise regime.

I've been retired 4 years and have carried 10 lbs of xtra weight for the past two decades. I define my best weight as my college weight, and just in the last 6 months, was finally able to shed the weight thru a combination of Intermittent Fasting and more consistent workouts.

I do a 1pm to 9pm feeding window with 16 hr fast in between with plenty of cheating when I want to, but stick to it 80% of the time.

I try to work out every day. I alternate between run day and weight day. Runs consist of 30 to 40 min runs, about 90% on a treadmill, remainder on concrete. It saves on my knees to run mostly on the treadmill and I find i get lazy on the road and tend to go a slower pace than on the treadmill. Most of my run are 7-8 min mile pace. Weights are mostly free weights with squats, bench, deadlifts, and military press as my core lifts with lats, back, abs and arms supplementing. I try to alternatel the exercises to a couple of core exercises with one or two supplementary per each workout.

It has been great to be in better shape now at 52 years of age than in the past 2 decades. Reached some PRs in some lifts though I am running slower pace these days.

Bumping up this thread! It was responsible for getting my butt in gear to work out this year. I try to do 8-10k steps a day. More if I can. I also have an elliptical and bike that I try to get my heart rate up a few times a week. Also try for weights and vibration plate every other day.

I joined a streaming service called iFIT in January and aiming to get 500 workouts in within the year to get a sweatshirt reward. :)

DonHeff, nice work.
My lower back had a talk with me after trying some intervals on the treadmill, so running is a no-go for me. Gotta listen to the temple :D
Yesterday I got in my first 5K in many years, and walked it out past 4 miles. I am doing about 18 miles a week now on the weight loss journey. Once I lose another 20 pounds I will up the game a bit, but I have no desire to sideline myself overdoing it.
I get about 8~10K a day before adding in the treadmill, Country. I got the treadmill about 6 weeks ago for the weight loss and it came with a year of Ifit. We like it so far.

No gym session or workout on the bike yesterday. Got my workout moving a couple tons of large rock down into my creak to create a couple of check dams to slow the flow down, which should stop erosion.

Tonight’s our mid-week mountain bike race. Lots of fun with a couple hundred racers out on course.

And coming up next weekend, three days of gravel road racing goodness in Bend, Oregon. Gonna be some hill climbing there for sure.

In addition to our hour or two bike ride or walk, my wife has me on this 20 day challenge to do 20 push ups, 20 sit ups and 20 squats for 20 days straight. Sounds easy until you get about 7-8 days in. Things don’t feel so good.

I have long had lower back pain possibly due to facet degeneration. My gym recently added a lower back machine which I have used my past three workout days. I love this machine as it has greatly reduced my lower back pain. Never thought it could help so much.

Got a good workout yesterday at our mid-week mtn bike race. After an hour of chasing each other around the course, my pal beat me by 5 seconds at the finish. I didn’t have anything left in the tank. I finished 3rd, which is way better than how I was doing pre-retirement.

Headed out now for an hour workout on my gravel bike on my usual 10 mile down to the river and grind back up. Good times!

This is not quite a workout discussion but I think it would be of interest to those who workout or are considering getting more exercise. This podcast is a discussion between Peter Attiia M.D. and Layne Norton Ph.D.

Lean body mass is inversely proportional to your risk of mortality after age 50.” —Layne Norton
https://peterattiamd.com/laynenorton2/

As usual Dr. Attia goes deep into the dense jungle of technical medical and physiological details, which causes many lay people to lose interest. So I will list the times that I think are most relevant and understandable to the over age 50 crowd. The podcast is over two hours, but the 15 minutes between 1h 15 min and 1h 30 min are the most significant and easy to understand, IMO.

At 1 hour 15 minutes he starts to discuss aging and muscle mass
At 1 hour 17 minutes there are some interesting things said in regards to lower back pain
At 1 hour 24 minutes there is a discussion of the problems with falling as we age. That's a must for just about all of us.

I got a lot out of the above. YMMV.

Last edited:
May 1 was the beginning of the new rowing and skierging year on the Concept2 website. Since then I have done too much including today's one hour row. Next week, I will start on the Skierg times.

Our pool is open and now I can add water walking/swim laps to my workouts. My goal is to swim every day possible until we have to close down the pool in late September.

I swim laps at the Y outdoor pool twice a week rain or shine although rain is rare now. It is heated and open year round. In Jan or Feb when temperatures dip to the 50s and cloudy, many regulars don't show or use the indoor pool instead. Then often you get the whole pool to yourself or with another one or two.

Back
Top Bottom